Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old June 2 2009, 08:31 PM   #1021
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
My personal take on this is that the bridge is made up of a series of consoles which can be arranged in whatever configuration you like. You could, in theory, put the main viewscreen complex (including the two status-monitor panels flanking it) immediately next to the lift entrance... and I suspect that a few captains might prefer things like that!

I'd guess that under April, the Enterprise had the "original intent" arrangement, but that at some point, one of the commanding officers got sick of having people walk into his bridge DIRECTLY BEHIND HIM... giving him that creepy "someone sneaking up on me" feeling. So, they unbolted the consoles in a dockyard at some point and shuffled them around to let the captain look over his shoulder at the entrance.

Not a TRIVIAL change... you'd have to shut down operations on the bridge for a day or two, minimum, in order to do it... but not all that complicated, is it? Especially if you think of each station as simply a computer terminal which is tied into the main computer (which I treat as starting directly below the bridge on deck 2).

Again... the main viewscreen isn't a window, it's a computer monitor. It can sit wherever it's most convenient, and there is zero logical justification for saying "that has to be on the centerline of the ship."
I like this take. I myself wouldn't want people walking in behind me, either.

And for a real world example of something similar, most submarine drivers face to the side.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old June 5 2009, 02:58 AM   #1022
Albertese
Commodore

Praetor wrote: View Post
And for a real world example of something similar, most submarine drivers face to the side.
Though that's so they can see the water level bubble that indicates the dive angle of their boat. At least on the Blueback (old diesel sub permanantly moored at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. I tour it whenever I get a chance. It's neat.

As for the bridge of the Enterprise, 30-odd degrees to the left is inconsequential.

--Alex
Old June 5 2009, 09:52 AM   #1023
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Why do people insist it face forward anyways, besides symbolic...symbolismness?
Old June 5 2009, 09:17 PM   #1024
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I have no idea. It's not like the viewscreen was a window or anything. (Not in the prime-verse, anyway. )

To me, as a kid, it was always clear that the dome atop the saucer was the bridge, and the single cylinder at the rear was meant to be the turbolift. The whole point of it was to give the audience a sense of scale. Whether the set "actually" fits there in the model(s) is somewhat irrelevant to me, but I think enough people have proven that given the proper scaling it can.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old June 8 2009, 08:35 AM   #1025
Gagarin
Commander

Just for the sake of being Treknobable silly, COULD the 30-or-so degree tilt help out the inertial dampeners? I assume most of their work would be from the forward vector. Would having things rotated would give them a head start in helping keep people in their seats (and we know the Constitutions were pretty bad at this anyway).

Oh, and we need to make sure we recognize that gravity generation was often the first thing to take a dive in high-power demand situations. .80 Earth gravity was often felt during combat operations or high-warp manuvering =)

(I actually really liked the 'captain hated not seeing who was coming in and out of the bridge idea, whoever that was!)
Old June 9 2009, 06:58 PM   #1026
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Truthfully, I don't see why they couldn't have just put a second turbolift in. I mean when you consider the bridge is only accessable via one elevator, it looks like a great set-up for a single-point of failure. Generally this is a no-no
Old June 9 2009, 07:08 PM   #1027
Birdog
Commander

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
Truthfully, I don't see why they couldn't have just put a second turbolift in. I mean when you consider the bridge is only accessable via one elevator, it looks like a great set-up for a single-point of failure. Generally this is a no-no
Depending on who's plans you are looking at there are two other methods of bridge access. The first would be the forward-port doorway that leads to the outer service area and then down to deck two. The other would be a ladder well forward of the helm.
Old June 9 2009, 07:26 PM   #1028
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Unless you watch Space Seed where they can all be trapped like rats by turning off the turbolift.

Of course TAS addressed this by adding a second door.
Old June 9 2009, 10:05 PM   #1029
Luis
Ensign

If I remember well there a small door in the opposite side..

Shawn, from were you get these images at scale of TOS sets ??? I have a lot of interest on these draws, because I'm doing a 3d (reimagined) TOS hallways.
Old June 9 2009, 11:31 PM   #1030
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

http://www.trekcore.com/specials/thumbnails.php?album=3

There are quite a few of the set blueprints there (and also a BUNCH of cool Jeffries art).
Old June 10 2009, 12:08 AM   #1031
Luis
Ensign

Tallguy wrote: View Post
http://www.trekcore.com/specials/thumbnails.php?album=3

There are quite a few of the set blueprints there (and also a BUNCH of cool Jeffries art).
Thanks!!! This things are invaluable for me !!!
Old June 10 2009, 01:09 AM   #1032
Wingsley
Commodore

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Why do people insist it face forward anyways, besides symbolic...symbolismness?
I think the fact that during both "Arena" and "'Who Mourns for Adonais?'", when the Enterprise was forceably decelerated, the crew on the Bridge was tossed toward the viewscreen; that may have something to do with it.
Old June 10 2009, 02:48 AM   #1033
Praetor
Vice Admiral

So the inertial dampers and gravity systems are programmed to orient deck one differently than the rest of the ship?

Solved.
Old June 10 2009, 03:16 AM   #1034
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Well, if there were two lifts one could be placed on each side of the centerline and allow the bridge to be pointed straight forward and would put each lift in a position that is not directly behind the Captain.

Plus the TMP Enterprise has it.
Old June 10 2009, 03:49 AM   #1035
Praetor
Vice Admiral

The Phase II ship had twin "mickey mouse ear" turbolifts on the bridge module. Clearly MJ agreed.
Closed Thread