RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,914
Posts: 5,331,162
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 548
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old March 23 2009, 11:44 PM   #916
Shaw
Commodore
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Location: Twin Cities
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Back on topic, what's the next steps that you're working on (or will be working on, or whatever).
Currently I'm trying to finish off the nacelles... and figure out a good way of documenting the ramp you were helping me on (that doesn't require too much room or exposition within the plans).

After that I need to double check my work on the secondary hull to make sure that I don't repeat my mistakes made on the 33 inch plans. Though I think those were mainly due to rushing them towards the end (and I'm not rushing this in the same way).

But yeah, hopefully I'll have all views of both nacelles (independent of the rest of the model) finished soon... I just had a ton of calls from clients over the last week, and I need the work right now (of course, who doesn't).
Shaw is offline  
Old March 24 2009, 02:57 AM   #917
Tallguy
Fleet Captain
 
Tallguy's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the Farthest Star
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw wrote: View Post
Currently I'm trying to finish off the nacelles... and figure out a good way of documenting the ramp you were helping me on (that doesn't require too much room or exposition within the plans).
I think a 3/4 view (or some such) with the grid you put on your mock up would manage it nicely. I don't know if that's acceptable in formal blueprints or not but it got the point across.
__________________
-- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
"All I ask is a tall ship..."
Tallguy is offline  
Old March 24 2009, 04:09 PM   #918
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Links, please. As little confidence as I put in JJ, this sounds suspect.
Well, as I was expressing my opinion (and what it was based on) and not trying to shape anyone else's (seeing as people reach their own conclusions just fine without my help), I don't see why it would matter one way or the other how I got the information.






But if it matters that much to ya (and my accounting of information like this doesn't stand on it's own), maybe this will meet your standards...
John Eaves, March 16, 2009 at 1:15 pm
I did make it on the new one!!! My friend Geoffry Mandell and I were some of the only folks that worked on any of the previous Treks to get on the new one. One day Geoff had to scale the Enterprise and he did so by picturing the new ship in comparison to the previous ships,, He was let go the next day for being to attached and close to the older shows,,,,, I stayed very very quiet after that dark day I can tell you!!! HAAAA!
Or maybe not.

Should I start providing links for everything I post now? I wasn't aware that my credit had dropped that low.
I'll back John Eaves up on this one.

Rick
www.spacemodelsystems.com
__________________
Senior Illustrator Emeritus
Star Trek 1978-2001
Rick Sternbach is offline  
Old March 24 2009, 04:47 PM   #919
Tallguy
Fleet Captain
 
Tallguy's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the Farthest Star
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Yikes. Doesn't get more gold-plated-authentic than that. (Ok, the ethereal shade of Matt Jefferies playing "All Along the Watchtower", maybe...)
__________________
-- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
"All I ask is a tall ship..."
Tallguy is offline  
Old March 24 2009, 05:55 PM   #920
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

That is SO incredibly unfair.

I know, I know, life's not fair. But, DAMN!

Mandel did excellent work. And they fired him for that? This does not speak well for the professionalism of that office, IMO.

Back to you, Mr. Shaw.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline  
Old March 24 2009, 10:49 PM   #921
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw, I never meant to say that you were lying.

I did a Google search myself, and I didn't find Eaves' blog, so I was curious as to where you got the information.
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!

Last edited by USS Mariner; March 24 2009 at 11:00 PM.
USS Mariner is offline  
Old March 25 2009, 12:38 AM   #922
Shaw
Commodore
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Location: Twin Cities
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Shaw, I never meant to say that you were lying.
I didn't think you were... I was teasing you.

It wasn't like anyone was going to just find what he said via a google search, you had to know exactly what you were looking for to find the cached version.

Rick Sternbach wrote: View Post
I'll back John Eaves up on this one.
Yeah, but no one (neither Eaves or Mandel) should have needed backing up just for referring to previous versions of Trek.

It is just troubling.
Shaw is offline  
Old March 25 2009, 12:41 AM   #923
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

^After hearing this, I will never pay to see this.

I said that about Watchmen, but Snyder never did shit like this to his staff, and I had much less ire about that from the beginning.
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline  
Old March 25 2009, 05:36 AM   #924
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Rick Sternbach wrote: View Post
Shaw wrote: View Post
But if it matters that much to ya (and my accounting of information like this doesn't stand on it's own), maybe this will meet your standards...
John Eaves, March 16, 2009 at 1:15 pm
I did make it on the new one!!! My friend Geoffry Mandell and I were some of the only folks that worked on any of the previous Treks to get on the new one. One day Geoff had to scale the Enterprise and he did so by picturing the new ship in comparison to the previous ships,, He was let go the next day for being to attached and close to the older shows,,,,, I stayed very very quiet after that dark day I can tell you!!! HAAAA!
Or maybe not.

Should I start providing links for everything I post now? I wasn't aware that my credit had dropped that low.
I'll back John Eaves up on this one.

Rick
www.spacemodelsystems.com
Well, that cuts it.

Not only am I not going to see this travesty, I'm not picking up any merchandise, I'm not gonna check out the DVD from the frelling library, I'm not even gonna bother with this season of Lost.

JJ Abrams can kiss my hardcore Trekkie ass.
Captain Robert April is offline  
Old March 25 2009, 12:59 PM   #925
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Rick Sternbach wrote: View Post
Shaw wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Links, please. As little confidence as I put in JJ, this sounds suspect.
Well, as I was expressing my opinion (and what it was based on) and not trying to shape anyone else's (seeing as people reach their own conclusions just fine without my help), I don't see why it would matter one way or the other how I got the information.






But if it matters that much to ya (and my accounting of information like this doesn't stand on it's own), maybe this will meet your standards...
John Eaves, March 16, 2009 at 1:15 pm
I did make it on the new one!!! My friend Geoffry Mandell and I were some of the only folks that worked on any of the previous Treks to get on the new one. One day Geoff had to scale the Enterprise and he did so by picturing the new ship in comparison to the previous ships,, He was let go the next day for being to attached and close to the older shows,,,,, I stayed very very quiet after that dark day I can tell you!!! HAAAA!
Or maybe not.

Should I start providing links for everything I post now? I wasn't aware that my credit had dropped that low.
I'll back John Eaves up on this one.

Rick
www.spacemodelsystems.com
That's pretty lousy treatment of Mr. Mandel. Fortunately the man is talented enough to continue a prosperous career, and fortunately I've now decided not to spend the money to watch the film in first run.
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline  
Old March 25 2009, 10:15 PM   #926
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Well, that cuts it.
Nope.

Not only am I not going to see this travesty, I'm not picking up any merchandise, I'm not gonna check out the DVD from the frelling library, I'm not even gonna bother with this season of Lost.
Can you do one more and perhaps stop posting on the Trek 11 forums then?

JJ Abrams can kiss my hardcore Trekkie ass.
Well I can see you are grasping at straws to justify your opinion, even if you are entitled to it. You seem to be oblivious to the fact that this sort of thing undoubtedly happens all the time in the industry, including of Trek past where writers, etc have gotten the shaft (Harlan Ellison & Courage getting messed over comes to mind right off the bat.) You had no problem supporting Trek then, so you're looking for anything to weasil your way out now, and this is how far you've stooped.

Also, the way John Eaves presents this information I have to wonder how much of the full story is being presented by the way he more or less makes it a joke/light story at the end.
Devon is offline  
Old March 25 2009, 10:18 PM   #927
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
That's pretty lousy treatment of Mr. Mandel. Fortunately the man is talented enough to continue a prosperous career, and fortunately I've now decided not to spend the money to watch the film in first run.
If your "justification" is just because of something that is probably common practice in the industry, then perhaps you should also not spend any more money on all of Trek in the time being.
Devon is offline  
Old March 26 2009, 01:58 PM   #928
yotsuya
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Can we can the discussion on ST:XI and get back to our beloved TOS Enterprise. Please.
yotsuya is offline  
Old March 26 2009, 10:18 PM   #929
CuttingEdge100
Commodore
 
CuttingEdge100's Avatar
 
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

yotsuya,

Agreed...
CuttingEdge100 is offline  
Old March 27 2009, 03:23 AM   #930
Ptrope
Agitator
 
Ptrope's Avatar
 
Location: USA
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Devon wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Well, that cuts it.
Nope.

Not only am I not going to see this travesty, I'm not picking up any merchandise, I'm not gonna check out the DVD from the frelling library, I'm not even gonna bother with this season of Lost.
Can you do one more and perhaps stop posting on the Trek 11 forums then?

JJ Abrams can kiss my hardcore Trekkie ass.
Well I can see you are grasping at straws to justify your opinion, even if you are entitled to it. You seem to be oblivious to the fact that this sort of thing undoubtedly happens all the time in the industry, including of Trek past where writers, etc have gotten the shaft (Harlan Ellison & Courage getting messed over comes to mind right off the bat.) You had no problem supporting Trek then, so you're looking for anything to weasil your way out now, and this is how far you've stooped.

Also, the way John Eaves presents this information I have to wonder how much of the full story is being presented by the way he more or less makes it a joke/light story at the end.
Devon, consider this a friendly warning - keep the personal remarks and suggestions for others' behavior out of the posts, or it will become official.

Thanks.
Ptrope is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.