Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old September 23 2008, 02:56 AM   #631
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

A little reminder that some of us have put our own projects on hold waiting for you to finish up this one.
Old September 23 2008, 03:28 AM   #632
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
A little reminder that some of us have put our own projects on hold waiting for you to finish up this one.
Heh. And there are children in Africa that don't have any Trek blueprints! (Sorry, if we're going for guilt... )
Old September 23 2008, 03:53 AM   #633
Shaw
Commodore

Fine, I get the message. I'll take some time to reconsider.

sojourner wrote: View Post
... throwing the baby out with the bathwater...
-and-
Tallguy wrote: View Post
And there are children in Africa that don't have any Trek blueprints!
Wow... I guess it never occurred to me that such a rash decision would effect babies and children.
Old September 23 2008, 04:31 AM   #634
Philo
Commodore

It does.

Now frankly, you're being a little oversensitive yourself. There's absolutely no reason why the opinions of some (whether they're just being cranks or not, and they are) should affect what you do with your work and, if I can take a moment to be selfish, those of us who enjoy it immensely and would be saddened, if not downright pissed, if you stopped sharing it for that reason alone.

This isn't directed at you Shaw, but I'm always astounded at the way people act in here sometimes. I know you guys are dedicated to your craft, and I'll be the last one to judge you for that, but sometimes you take it all a bit too seriously. Creating and dissecting art based on an old television show is the last place in the world you should be throwing fiefdom wars.
Old September 23 2008, 05:25 AM   #635
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Hell, do you think I'd still be working on my plans if I gave into every crank that came along?

Pop quiz: Why do you think I'm on my sixth thread on the subject?
Old September 23 2008, 05:27 AM   #636
Shaw
Commodore

Philo wrote: View Post
Now frankly, you're being a little oversensitive yourself...
Well, that is sort of the point though... isn't it?

I mean if I'm coming across overly sensitive or other people are, what it boils down to is that people are taking it a bit more seriously (and personally) than something like this really should be taken.

I get into arguments all the time... no, no... believe me, it is true!

But here is the thing... I have a short memory for that type of stuff. I could be arguing against someone one day and for them a week later. I've got far too many other things to think about to waste my time and energy holding a grudge.

But here, I was seeing what appeared to be a building resentment based on... well, honestly, I'm not entirely sure what it was based on, but it seemed this thread in general. And from my perspective, I might not be seeing what the cause is, but if the effect is that I get ambushed in another thread by someone I thought I was friends with over an innocent question, then maybe this thread has gone terribly wrong.

I simply wanted to share and discuss aspects of a 60's era television show. Heated debates on technical minutia are great... but personal grudges manifesting in unrelated topics, that is a different story.

Though I bet people will start seeing me as sort of a Soup Nazi now... "No blueprints for you!"

________
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Pop quiz: Why do you think I'm on my sixth thread on the subject?
Honestly... I thought you like coming up with pithy new titles every so often.

Last edited by Shaw; September 23 2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: add reply
Old September 24 2008, 05:03 AM   #637
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

That was just the theme that grew out of having to restart the whole thing after yet another meltdown.

That being said, I may actually be on my eighth thread....
Old September 24 2008, 08:01 PM   #638
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Wow, I've missed a lot in this thread recently...

David, don't get too upset by getting flamed on here. It's the internet, and people do stuff on here that they'd never dream of in person (for fear of getting clocked).

I know that you're a good guy, but I also remember that you (on a few occasions) have taken things very personally, too... and on a couple of occasions, without any real reason to do so.

The simple fact is that you're doing some cool stuff here and we all appreciate getting to see it.

And the simple fact is that no matter what you say or do, someone is going to do their best to try to get under your skin. It's hard... especially when the attacks are unwarranted and essentially nonsensical (like the post you linked to in that other thread)... trust me, I have to struggle with not reacting with hostility on a daily basis on here.

So just chill, keep on posting, and try to ignore people who may be "acting out" on issues totally unrelated to anything you've said or done.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing this thing get wrapped up!
Old September 27 2008, 08:36 PM   #639
peachysjoey
Ensign

I for one have no artistic ability. So I watch on with great admiration of the work that people such as yourself produce. Please don't let a few jerks prevent you from continuing your work and sharing with the rest of us.
Old September 28 2008, 11:02 AM   #640
Shaw
Commodore

Well, as soon as I get a chance I'll go back and distill the stuff I was working on for posting here... I've been caught up in other projects lately.

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Wow, I've missed a lot in this thread recently...
There is the sad part... it isn't like I've posted all that much to miss.
Old December 17 2008, 09:41 AM   #641
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Shameless bump.
Old December 17 2008, 04:47 PM   #642
Shaw
Commodore

Okay, I get the hint.

I guess I'll start putting some more time into this project... specially as I've started going back over the early scaled sketches of the sets again recently.
Old December 17 2008, 06:55 PM   #643
EJD1984
Commander

Shaw wrote: View Post
Well, I'm guessing that you guys noticed that I left that area of the one compartment I did earlier open... and that was because the windows didn't match anything seen on screen. I had hoped that the windows designed into Kirk's cabin (and partially seen in a few early episodes) would have matched those on the model. Sadly they didn't.

But I was playing around with the idea of what might be in that part of the ship, and this was what I came up with...

Something like an open commons area... specially for crew members who don't have their own office area in their cabins. As for the portholes... I'm not sure what they are, but I'm most likely not including them as standard windows of any type.
I like it. A nice prelude to the refit rec room.
Old December 21 2008, 06:26 AM   #644
Leopardmadcat
Cadet

Howdy Y'all, I'm new here.

I'm curious as to what standard dimensions you are using, for example: What deck height, corridor width, and room width/lengths?

Generally I've always found the dimensions quoted by the model builders to be about 50% too small. A deck height of 10' is all fine for a studio model, but when you start running the structural beams, plumbing, electrical, air supply, plasma conduits, and tribble feeders then things get a little... crowded.
Old December 21 2008, 11:20 PM   #645
Wingsley
Commodore

Yes, I'm curious as well.

Didn't you say that your saucer has a total of eight full-height decks?
Closed Thread