RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,698
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 441
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old July 2 2008, 02:22 AM   #586
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw wrote: View Post
The one in the center of the room remains fixed (for the most part) in one location, so I figure it is a permanent fixture. I'm thinking of the objects that FalTorPan called transformers in this article. They seem to move around (and are sometimes completely missing) from episode to episode.
Hmm. I should finish that article someday.
Old July 2 2008, 08:15 AM   #587
Shaw
Commodore

It is funny, I was looking at this thread (Starship volumes?), knowing that this is one of those things that I'm going to have to address eventually, and I'm finding the argument put forward on the linked site more than a little hard to swallow.

Throughout most of what I've done here I've often turned to real world references for help in fleshing out my ideas. And the weight of the Enterprise was one of the things I was going to base on a real world vessel.

Now, in this day and age I imagine that a comparative volume of a CG model of the Enterprise isn't that hard to come by, so lets (for this post) assume that the listed volume on that site is correct at 211,248 cubic meters (I'll have to eventually make my own measurements, of course).

The easiest ships to find the volumes for are submarines (which are basically cylinders), so I've decided to use the Ohio Class submarine as my comparison vessel. It has an approximate volume of 30,054 cubic meters, which can displace (when submerged) 18,750 tons.

If the Enterprise's construction is anywhere near that of the Ohio, then it would be approximately 131,800 tons (which isn't too far off the estimated 190,000 tons put forward back in 1967, and nowhere close to the 914,000 tons estimated by that site).

This is just a first estimate, but I think the logic of using real world vessels rather than off the cuff references by writers as a basis is a better way to go here. The author of that site seems to be attempting to use Voyager references as a way to figure this stuff out, but his argument really seems to be taking the canon stuff to extremes.
Old July 2 2008, 09:42 AM   #588
c5maier
Commander

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
Hmm. I should finish that article someday.
Oh, yes, please do! There is already a lot of stearling stuff on that site and I'd really like to see more of it!
Old July 26 2008, 06:56 AM   #589
Brannigan
Commander

Im just giving a bump to this thread to see if there has been any progress made to the project?
Old July 26 2008, 11:26 PM   #590
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

I know what ya mean, Brannigan. I think I hear crickets chirping?
Old July 29 2008, 09:59 AM   #591
Shaw
Commodore

Sorry about that guys, but I've just been really busy with a ton of other stuff lately.

I have a pretty good idea of what I plan on for the general layout (what goes where type of stuff), but the next step would be to finish (to a greater degree then they are right now) my drawings of the 11 foot model. So far in this thread I've been getting by in my sketches using a combination of elements from my early 11 foot studies, elements from my 33 inch plans and a lot of hand waving. All of which was great for expressing concepts, but I really need to nail down the shapes and sizes of the various elements of the Enterprise before finalizing how the interior volume is utilized.

And I'm not just thinking about where everything went, but also how the ship might have been assembled and upgraded too. Things like construction benchmarks of when the ship started to support a crew, when it started generating it's own internal power and the like. Or how (after being in service) would you remove the secondary hull engine components without compromising the hull integrity. I figure that the types of changes we saw from The Cage to WNMHGB to the series look would have been envisioned for a ship that would be around that long. The deflector dish assembly looks like it is mounted in place with the three box structures... so maybe that piece of equipment was something that was designed to be replaced on a fairly regular basis (and was swapped out at least once in the series). Just form follows function types of things.

So yeah, even though I haven't been posting much, I have been thinking about this type of stuff. I just need to build some time into my schedule for putting all these ideas together and then into some plans.
Old July 29 2008, 08:23 PM   #592
doctorwho 03
Captain

It's always a pain in the rear when real life gets in the way of what you really want to do. Just ask Captain April.

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
Old July 29 2008, 08:53 PM   #593
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Shaw wrote: View Post
Sorry about that guys, but I've just been really busy with a ton of other stuff lately.

I have a pretty good idea of what I plan on for the general layout (what goes where type of stuff), but the next step would be to finish (to a greater degree then they are right now) my drawings of the 11 foot model.
Definitely looking forward to those! Best of luck with "real life".
Old August 8 2008, 12:58 AM   #594
Shaw
Commodore

I'm wrapping up my studies of the primary hull and figured I'd share the final curves that I'll be using for the deck plans (below). I'm currently studying the secondary hull, and then will turn my attention to the dorsal. When all three of those are done, I'll re-address the internal (general) deck outlines one last time, and then focus my attention on completing as detailed a set of exterior plans as possible. The exterior plans have to be pretty complete in order to make sure that exterior elements that might effect the interior spaces are well documented.

That, and the fact that I've been wanting to try out all of the techniques that I used on the 33 inch model on the 11 foot model for the last year now.

Old August 8 2008, 02:13 AM   #595
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Well my gosh, that's gorgeous. Question: Is the leading edge of the saucer really that sharp?
Old August 8 2008, 02:19 AM   #596
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Is it me, or is the leading edge being shown as elliptical? I always thought it was a flat, angled edge with a bevel in profile.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Old August 8 2008, 03:04 AM   #597
Shaw
Commodore

Yeah, that is pretty much how the model is today (or at least within the last 10 years or so, as those were the primary images I used for the study). But one of the ways I checked to make sure I wasn't heading off by examining the model too closely was to take this image and compare it to the model back in the 60's, like this...

After all, looking at all the parts really close up can often distort the larger picture and that is always one of my concerns when doing a study like this. But all the curves are best matches over a number of samples (as the model isn't uniform all the way around).

Also, the edge is flatter near areas with windows... most likely do to a deformation from retroactively cutting them into the model (as they weren't originally holes there).

Edit:
I think it is very important to note that I'm not using anyone else's plans here... this is strictly a reverse engineering of this stuff from the 11 foot model using a handful of measurements as references. So other than images of the model itself and the information on this sheet...

... I haven't been using any other reference material. So if it doesn't match what others have put forward before, that might be part of the reason. I'm trying to keep this as much a from the model to the page type of endeavor as possible.

Last edited by Shaw; August 8 2008 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added dimensions link
Old August 9 2008, 08:07 PM   #598
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Thank you very much! I'll be able to revise my own blueprints for my 3D model.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Old August 10 2008, 09:03 AM   #599
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Likewise.
Old August 12 2008, 08:52 PM   #600
Shaw
Commodore

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Thank you very much! I'll be able to revise my own blueprints for my 3D model.
Wow, that is something I'm looking forward to seeing!

I'll try to get up a single sheet of the important curves (all to scale with each other) before the weekend.

After that I'll most likely take a little time to flesh out the rest of the outside of the 11 foot model. Then I'll put together a comparison set PDF of Jefferies plans (updated a little), the 33 inch model plans (corrected a little) and the 11 foot plans I'm working on now (which well show the model as built). I figure it'll be nice to see the progression from the page to the final physical models in a single document.

Plus it'll be a nice break from the interior stuff.
Closed Thread