What Enterprise is better design? (final)

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Stardate, Jan 22, 2008.

1. The Mule

The Mule Commodore Commodore

^^then understandably my favorite is the Refit Connie.

i still like the Galaxy, but as i've matured i've noticed several deep design flaws both in the exterior and the interior that glare at me whenever i see it. the nacelles are too low, like someone sat on them. if the seconardy hull and pylons arched up more, bringing the nacelles to just above the centerline of the saucer, the ship would look much better.

and the interior, mainly the bridge, there needs to be more stations to the sides, and the captain needs a more commanding view. as it is, all the captain can really see is the biggest damn flatscreen tv ever, the backs of the heads of the conn and ops officers, and whatever concerned or dramatic expressions that the first officer and counselor are wearing.

the refit Connie have the same basic lines and proportions as Matt Jeffries ground-shattering design, updated with realistic detail and lighting. (the updated nacelles i don't like as much, but hey, nothing is perfect)

2. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The TMP Refit is basically the 1964 Cage pre production design. It had the nacelles, and pylons that were given to the Enterprise-E. The saucer itself was the TOS thickness.

I don't like the TMP's nacelles. They should have stuck with the Phase II movie idea (lower the height, and increase the length of the TOS nacelles; and keep the TOS thickness. then add TMP detailing).

but...

I can't believe the Galaxy won the last time. GAG

But...

This time the Connie TMP Refit wins. :thumbsup:

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

The refit is a classy lady. The D is a tramp.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

On what are you basing this? I hope it's not the sketch in the TOS sketchbook identified as the final design, which clearly has "77" marked on it!

5. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

Refit - it always perturbed me that they never featured the connie refit in TNG, there were plenty of miranda variants. All we got was the model in Picards ready room in season 1 with the nacelles at 90degrees!

6. Herald

Herald Lieutenant Red Shirt

I voted refit.

Everything about the Galaxy class (Too many windows ,Nice carpeted interiors, Kids, Boldly staying within the borders of the Federation) screams vacation cruise liner to me.

7. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is a easy vote for me. I voted for Refit my favorite.
    Galaxy is alright, personally i really like the Neck section in Galaxy.
    Refit is classic design, but my biggest problem with it is thin neck line.
    Actually i took my time(30 min) to kit-bash Refit with Galaxy type neck. The connection between saucer and engineering it much stronger and allows more routes between those 2 parts.
    [​IMG]

8. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"All we got was the model in Picards ready room in season 1 with the nacelles at 90degrees!"

Geordi's model was this. Picard's model was what we see in "The Battle."

Originally the Stargazer was going to be a Constitution Class.

But then someone reminded them of Picard's model. So Geordi says, "Constellation Class" but if you read his lips he says "Constitution".

Flashforward to DS9's "Trials and Tribblations". :Cheer:

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Refit - hands down - no contest.

10. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

The Refit and only the Refit. :D

11. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree.... :)

12. trentman359

trentman359 Commander Red Shirt

Refit is my first love.

13. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Refit - I like how they lost the bullseye. It's bad enough not having a cloaking device. Do you really want to paint a bullseye on the ship where the warp core is? :lol:

14. Tralis

Tralis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Refit just looks a little slicker and more aggressive.

15. Epsilon IX

Epsilon IX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Galaxy. Although the Refit is a close runner-up.

16. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironically, although we really don't know with certainty where the TOS ship's warp core is -- making your "bullseye" remark debatable -- the TMP ship has a clear vertical "stripe" along the interconnecting dorsal marking the position of the vertical intermix shaft, making the "lost the bullseye" comment debatable as well. :p

17. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspected I might get into trouble guessing about technicalities I neither know or care about. :lol:

18. captainduprix

captainduprix Commander Red Shirt

In my opinion, the refit Enterprise is the most perfect sci fi ship of all time. Everything fits together. I always thought the Galaxy class was rather awkward in appearance--the saucer section, while functional, is out of proportion with the rest of the craft. However, I must admit I find it more interesting than the Sovereign Class.

19. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, this is very, very hard. These are my all time favourite Trek designs.

But I'll let TNG edge out to victory for strictly sentimental reasons.

20. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I think, from certain angles, the Galaxy class is easily the most gorgeous ship in the fleet.