Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 22 2008, 03:20 AM   #91
NiteTrek
Captain

Re: Teaser online in better format

Much better, you can actually see it. :thumbsup:

One thing I'm curious about, it shows old 21st century welding going on. Surely you would think they would have improved construction techniques by then? Maybe laser welding or something like that.

The way it's being built looks like something done down at the local body shop.
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 03:22 AM   #92
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Wow! Dennis found the trailer!

Very nice and thank you.
Old January 22 2008, 03:35 AM   #93
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

One thing I'm curious about, it shows old 21st century welding going on. Surely you would think they would have improved construction techniques by then?
When things work why change them? I really don't get this mindset among Trek fans - worse thing GR did was abandon buttons and zippers just to scream out and say: "Look we're advanced."

In that regard velcro hasn't replaced either buttons (which date back hundreds of years but now instead of bone we make them from plastic) or zippers now.

The construction techniques that work tend to get carried on. Plus just looking at it its hard to say how those welders function.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 03:49 AM   #94
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

my ex told me she went to see cloverfield (she hated it). she always hated sci fi and the fact that i watch trek. but she saw the teaser and she said she will see the film.

The marketing dept. got it right i guess... bringing in people like her
Old January 22 2008, 04:00 AM   #95
StarMan
Vice Admiral

^Yep. I've seen a number of comments from people elsewhere exclaiming their interest in the movie, despite having had almost zero exposure to Trek in the past.

Good stuff.
Old January 22 2008, 04:15 AM   #96
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Agreed. If the trailer is any indication, these people know what they are doing -- at least as far as widening the fan base.
Old January 22 2008, 04:32 AM   #97
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Sharr Khan said:
One thing I'm curious about, it shows old 21st century welding going on. Surely you would think they would have improved construction techniques by then?
When things work why change them? I really don't get this mindset among Trek fans - worse thing GR did was abandon buttons and zippers just to scream out and say: "Look we're advanced."

In that regard velcro hasn't replaced either buttons (which date back hundreds of years but now instead of bone we make them from plastic) or zippers now.
http://www.triz-journal.com/archives...09/b/index.htm

Scroll down to the section titled "fasteners". The zipper and button are far from the final, perfected, bestest in the universe design. Roddenberry had it just right -- something else will happen along. It always does.

I can't get this passion for keeping everything the way it is in a movie about the future. Everything, that is, except anything from the original Star Trek.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 04:35 AM   #98
NiteTrek
Captain

Sharr Khan said:
If that's true, then why don't they use Glocks instead of phasers? Why don't they use microwaves instead of replicators? Why don't they wear watches instead of somehow knowing what time it is?

It's called "progress." I can understand something like boots & clothing not changing much but from a technological standpoint, having people weld together pieces of the Enterprise like a WWII battleship just seems out of place in the 23rd century.
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 11:38 AM   #99
Akiraprise

Guys, I just edited a few posts. Remember not to hotlink your pictures from other sites, it's stealing their bandwidth. Load the pictures you want to show on to Photobucket or another picture hosting site. Also, remember not to stretch the page with large pictures. Kind of makes it a pain to read threads.

Thanks a lot.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 12:51 PM   #100
Enrage
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't get the problem with hand welding. There are many advanced alloys (titanium ones especially) that just can't be done properly by machine. Sometimes there is just no replacement for a skilled craftsman.
Enrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 01:07 PM   #101
Timo
Admiral

...Also, the work on this baby won't be repetitive, like on run # 3,824 of a car model. Supposedly, only a handful of these ships were ever built, and they were cutting edge back in their day. It just might not be worth it to design and build an entire line of tooling for such a short production run, when these people don't necessarily even know exactly what they are doing.

That is, on the most general note, it seems just and right to have the Enterprise be built by hand. Tenderly.

I just hope the lady will not get too special a treatment. We never got the impression in TOS that she was the most important ship in Starfleet, not when flown by Pike nor by Kirk. No "Flagship of the Federation", no "biggest and most powerful". Just a warm, comfortable "once the cutting edge, now a dependable old warhorse" feel.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 06:28 PM   #102
Barbados Slim
Rear Admiral

One minute and fourteen seconds of welding is more imaginative and awesome than anything Berman's cooked up in a decade. Bad Robot rules at effective movie teasers.
Barbados Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 08:55 PM   #103
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Wow. The Enterprise being born. Wow. Kick ass trailer. I'd always thought she'd be constructed in space. But it works this way too. I'm jazzed!

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2008, 01:20 AM   #104
Knucles2
Commodore

NiteTrek said:
Sharr Khan said:
If that's true, then why don't they use Glocks instead of phasers? Why don't they use microwaves instead of replicators? Why don't they wear watches instead of somehow knowing what time it is?
um, we havent seen any teasers with phasers yet.For all we know JJ may be fascinated by the 60's Phaser Disk Shooter.
I know i was

Knucles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2008, 01:51 AM   #105
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

knowing the time without a means of checking it is silly...

They should be using both energy weapons and projectile weapons. You really think guns are gonna go away after a particle weapon comes to be? I don't. Chances are "phasers" are strictly StarFleet issue - at least in the 23rd Century.

They also didn't always use replicators (Star Trek's greatest cheat/out) in ToS they had "resequencers" but am doubtful that everyone in the 23rd Century relied upon them for food. On a long range starship such things make sense but not on Earth. People will still cook get their hands "dirty" so to speak.

Does velcro exist along side zippers and buttons? Yup. Just because "advances" come along it doesn't follow the old stuff gets put in a box in some basement someplace. Humans are notorious for sticking with tried and true ways of doing stuff.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote