Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 17 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

The Mirror Landing Party and UFP-Universe Spock

IYO, how long an interval was there between the beam-up of the Mirror K-Sc-M-U and their arrest? I can see it being instant, them shouting about uniforms, M-Kirk ordering the Halkans bombarded, etc--but I can also see them hanging back for a brief period, maybe checking to see if this wasn't all a head-game by 'their' Spock, keeping their powder dry til it was needed. Mind you, they wouldn't last long--even with dramatic license, I can only see them going at most an hour, or perhaps just over a half.

Any thoughts?
Old January 17 2008, 02:32 PM   #2
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Re: The Mirror Landing Party and UFP-Universe Spock

I'd say things would come to a head when Kirk tries to have the planet bombarded, Spock could neatly assume command and have Kirk locked up on medical reasons. McCoy refuses and takes a swing at Spock with a hypo, Spock quickly surmises its the whole darn away team and they all get locked up.

When does this happen? I'd say straight after beaming up, Kirk would ask for the bombardment to begin.
Old January 17 2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Question : In your secenario, does he lean over the transporter console and contact the Bridge then and there, or, suspicious of what he still assumes to be a game played by 'his' Spock, wait til he hits the Bridge? Just curious.
Old January 17 2008, 02:58 PM   #4
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

I'm thinking that the peaceful inhabitants below have riled Mirror Kirk so much that he comes straight off the pad and, assuming the parallel Enterprises aren't that different, contacts the bridge and orders a bombardment.

As its a peaceful planet, Spock might be there to greet the captain instead of being on the bridge, in which case Kirk might assume its a coup and goes for him (he comes back sans weaponry, Spock is there and his personal guard aren't).
Old January 17 2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

M-Kirk did not seem like the type to show restraint, I agree. But I'm thinking he was just cagey enough to look at his 'altered' ship,uniform and crew, think M-Spock was pulling something, and hanging back til he got to his seat of power, as it were. Once the order is given and then refused, then he swings wildly, starting in.

So let me rephrase : Is a short interval, as little as fifteen minutes, simply an impossibility? One thing's for certain : No meeting in Sickbay. Not enough trust among the four of them for that.
Old January 17 2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Firstofficer13
Cadet

Hi,
My first post/comment so treat me gently.
I go for the coup option and Kirk waiting until he got to the bridge. However I think Spock would have spotted the problem within the first ten minutes and called for security.
Firstofficer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It really depends on where Spock was when the four of them beamed up and the exchange took place (I say this because its been a while since I last saw Mirror, Mirror) I seem to recall that Spock was in the transporter room and asked Kirk "How did things go with the Halkans" or somesuch comment then Kirk reponds. I don't see the Mirror counterparts being smart or savvy enough to attempt a coup..our Spock said that he was able to detect the difference almost immediately I think and was able to subdue them.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 11:45 PM   #8
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I don't really have an answer to the OP question. But I've always been interested in the idea.

It's as if this eps could really be *two* eps...
the one with our crew in the MU, and then the eps with the MU landing party on our Enterprise.

We got a scene or two, but there's much more interesting stuff to see...from initial beamup to ending up in the brig--how did that all play out?

Lots of good stuff to imagine.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Roxana
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk was Kirk (i.e. MD). Whatever the mirror crew personally thought, IMO they'd immediately react to his orders. It wouldn't mean that Spock wouldn't question his business strategy... which he later did. Hangs together for me.
Old January 18 2008, 12:31 AM   #10
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young said:(I say this because its been a while since I last saw Mirror, Mirror) I seem to recall that Spock was in the transporter room and asked Kirk "How did things go with the Halkans" or somesuch comment then Kirk reponds
Spock was there in the MU transporter room, who else would have dished out the punishment to poor Mr Kyle otherwise?

I assumed he'd be there in our universe in the transporter room too.
Old January 18 2008, 12:38 AM   #11
Roxana
Lieutenant Commander

Mr Mirror Sulu? He wore a securuty shirt.
Old January 18 2008, 01:33 AM   #12
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Obviously. But no one could have done so as authoritatively as he.
Old January 18 2008, 02:43 AM   #13
EnsignHarper
Commander

The Squire of Gothos said:
Admiral_Young said:(I say this because its been a while since I last saw Mirror, Mirror) I seem to recall that Spock was in the transporter room and asked Kirk "How did things go with the Halkans" or some such comment then Kirk reponds
Spock was there in the MU transporter room, who else would have dished out the punishment to poor Mr Kyle otherwise?

I assumed he'd be there in our universe in the transporter room too.
The teaser of MM shows 'our' Spock entering the Transporter Room, with Kyle saying 'Trouble, sir' - then there is a closeup of Spock visibly reacting as the landing party fades out for the transference.
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2008, 05:31 AM   #14
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Thanks to all who answered. I was asking this for a fic I was developing, but now it seems clear that the M-Crew pitched their fit then and there on the pad, so I'm taking the idea in a different direction, which at the moment I'll have to keep quiet about, owing to my co-author's wishes.
Old January 20 2008, 08:47 AM   #15
nx1701g
Admiral

Didn't Spock say at the end of Mirror Mirror that it was only a few moments?