New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11 2008, 06:18 PM   #1
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

Star Trek-RM: Who Mourns for Adonais?… Grading/Discussion

This is the grading & discussion thread for Star Trek Remastered episode for the weekend of 01/12/08.

Who Mourns for Adonais?

Near the planet Pollux IV, the U.S.S. Enterprise encounters a powerful energy field in the shape of a human hand, capturing the ship and holding it captive. But before Kirk can free his vessel, he and a landing party are transported to the planet's surface to meet a being claiming to be Apollo, the last of the Greek gods. Caught in this entity’s powerful grip, Kirk and his crew must find a way to free themselves and the Enterprise before Apollo makes them all slaves to worship him.

Official Website for Star Trek

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2008, 10:23 PM   #2
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek-RM: Who Mourns for Adonais?… Grading/Discussion

Didn't expect too much aside from the Apollo hand being redone and grasping a new Enterprise, but was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the new Pollux IV, Enterprise and hand effects. And the phaser shots at the end that destroy Apollo's temple complex have been tweaked to look a little better, too.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

My local station re-ran Day of the Dove this morning. What? I saw that last week. I've already checked. They have this episode scheduled now for next week. Those fuckers.
Old January 14 2008, 02:13 AM   #4
ncc-1017-e
Captain

cooleddie74 said:
Didn't expect too much aside from the Apollo hand being redone and grasping a new Enterprise, but was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the new Pollux IV, Enterprise and hand effects. And the phaser shots at the end that destroy Apollo's temple complex have been tweaked to look a little better, too.
I thought the hand effect could have been a little more polished,like the ships of the line shot! The phasers on the temple was good!The thing about the remastered episodes I do not understand is that in some shows like this one they modify the phasers but in a episode like Operation Annilation the hand phaser shots are not even touched and in that show they should have been modiftied, but I do love what they did at the end of that episode!
Old January 14 2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

I just saw this episode. That's what you get for waking up at 2:30 in the morning. What it was doing on my local station at 3 AM, who knows, but there it was. I missed the teaser but saw the rest of the episode.

I liked the hand a lot. It's wavering effect worked well for me. Also agreed the phasers destroying the temple was very well done. In the other open thread on this episode, a poster questioned where the phasers originated on the Enterprise. I didn't see this problem. They came from the bottom of the saucer, like normal.

It's been a while since I've seen this episode, one I never cared about much. That may change. It was much better than I remember it. The story is simple but that's part of its charm. Speaking of charm, what about Leslie Parrish? You just want Apollo's wind to blow her dress a little harder...

Old January 14 2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Star Trek-RM: Who Mourns for Adonais?… Grading/Discussio

I caught the second half and saw the quick establishing shot of the hand holding the ship - and broke out laughing.

These effects are supposed to be BETTER?!

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Any bets on who the hand really belongs to?
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 07:17 PM   #8
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Rat Boy said:
Couldn't have been Berman or Braga. The middle finger wasn't facing the screen.
Old January 14 2008, 09:53 PM   #9
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Green Lantern?

I feel asleep during the later part. Only to vaguely reawaken as Apollo decides to die.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 11:30 PM   #10
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

A beaker full of death said:
Rat Boy said:
Couldn't have been Berman or Braga. The middle finger wasn't facing the screen.
Braga would have had shit on his fingers. It would have been too obvious.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 11:48 PM   #11
Arlo
Fleet Captain

This has nothing to do with anything, but when I was a kid I thought the episode was called "Who Mourns for Adonis?"

Oh, and it's really creepy, but Apollo has no nipples.
Old January 14 2008, 11:57 PM   #12
EnsignHarper
Commander

I have always liked 'Adonis', in many ways it is prototypical Trek. Its nice how almost all the supporting people get a nice little scene or scrap of dialogue...even Kyle is used nicely. It is also nice how they try to establish that Scotty has more to do than just fix the engines, and operate the transporter! Gene Coon wrote Scotty very well - most of Scotty's best bits are from the Coon produced shows.

This remaster looked very nice, and thought all the FX were done nice - the phasers hitting Adonis' power house are as a good of integration of the new FX into the old film as has been done.

Whats next??
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2008, 12:05 AM   #13
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Did anyone else wonder why in the world they did as bad a job as they did with Apollo's face on the viewscreen at the start of the episode?

I know it was film of the actor's face and the original footage likely isn't around for them to use in doing a new viewscreen shot, but all those black marks like dust and hairs appearing and disappearing amidst the starfield?

It was terrible.

All the remastering guys would have had to do is just isolate Apollo's face and put in a new starfield around him, and the problem would have been solved.

I mean, they actually had Spock and Kirk walk in front of the viewscreen (now showing an improved display) in an earlier episode.

They couldn't have done something similar with Apollo's face in the starfield?

Those "old film" artifacts are really inexcuseable. We've seen them do much better than that. And it's not like there was a lot that needed to be redone in this one. I'd have expected that to have been one of the re-dos.

Apparently someone didn't think so.
Old January 15 2008, 12:25 AM   #14
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

My nephew's birthday was on Saturday and I missed this one. Normally I would be willing to wait until next Sunday's reairing but Trekmovie.com hasn't posted their effects real and screen caps to hold me over. I really want to see the hand, dammit!

But I will go ahead and grade the episode since I have watched about two hundred times already, B-. It was good and had some really interesting moments in it. But how many more times is the Enterprise going to run into God-entities that act like children? After a while they all start to run together.

And I have to take a moment and give William Ware Theiss props for Lieutenant Palamas' pink Grecian dress. It happens to be one of my favorite costumes from the show and just a fantastic piece of work from a design standpoint.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2008, 01:33 AM   #15
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Arlo said:
Oh, and it's really creepy, but Apollo has no nipples.
What does God need with a nipple?