Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 21 2008, 05:22 PM   #76
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: I don't want Star Trek XI without the Shat

Tom Lehrer was my troop leader.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 05:27 PM   #77
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

^ Well that certainly explains alot.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 05:32 PM   #78
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

PKTrekGirl said:
DeafPoet said:
Roxana said:

2) He's flawed. But so are we all. That's the joy of humanity. Shatner/Kirk CARED. That counts for a lot.
I think you may be confusing Shatner with Kirk here. Shatner's performance was sure as hell flawed, as intensely enjoyable as it was to watch.

There's almost nothing about Kirk that's flawed. The guy's the quintessential boy scout.
I wasn't aware of the fact that 'quintessential boy scouts' were notorious and incorrigible womanizers.

Well i would argue that since it was completely glorified the whole time he was doing it, it's dubious to call it a character flaw.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 09:44 PM   #79
Number One
Commodore

Shatner's not Trek. If anything, there has been and will be a lot of Trek that doesn't involve him. But even TOS wasn't Shatner. He did fit like a glove to the character(or vice versa) but as was said his acting left things to be desired.

Also, the triplet Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley was the machine that run the show, they just worked very well together. WASN'T Shatner all by himself. And they did receive help from the other characters as well, I can't honestly think Shatner can complain with his Trek use, he was used the most to the detriment of most other characters and -- since Bond was mentioned often to the point of Kirk becoming a caricature, like Bond became with Moore as the actor incarnating.

After a point, I guess they were fed up with the hassle it needed to bring Kirk back and killed him off. Not likable by some, but good decision since they didn't want to use him anymore. And there is always some complain from him when they don't use him, well, in all truth they don't need too.
He's a very successful actor and author, he doesn't need Trek if he invested his money wisely.

Spock/Nimoy is obviously much easier since Vulcans have huge lifespans and they don't need to invent outrageous theories out of thin air to revive him.(That said his book on the issue was a great way, would be nice to see it performed by the new cast at some point).

Trek shouldn't need any character of the old cast as well, not even Nimoy, but he is the obvious choice, plus he has developed his acting through the years and still remains the best Vulcan portrayal ever, even if only a halfbreed.
Not to mention he's been in Star Trek before Shatner.(Yes, Cage)
Old January 22 2008, 12:49 AM   #80
VOODOOXI
Commander

Why bother with this film if Shatner will not be playing Kirk?
VOODOOXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 01:00 AM   #81
Plum
Rear Admiral

PKTrekGirl said:
DeafPoet said:
Roxana said:

2) He's flawed. But so are we all. That's the joy of humanity. Shatner/Kirk CARED. That counts for a lot.
I think you may be confusing Shatner with Kirk here. Shatner's performance was sure as hell flawed, as intensely enjoyable as it was to watch.

There's almost nothing about Kirk that's flawed. The guy's the quintessential boy scout.
I wasn't aware of the fact that 'quintessential boy scouts' were notorious and incorrigible womanizers.

Clearly, I was in the WRONG Brownie troop.
Listen to me kiddo, Jim Kirk was many things but he was never a boyscout. - Carol Marcus.

.. just had too.