Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 19 2008, 10:43 AM   #61
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Re: I don't want Star Trek XI without the Shat

PKTrekGirl said:
Flukie said:
I think you're Shat outta luck on this one.

This needs a few of Dennis's badgers...or beavers...or whatever the hell they are.
They are groundhogs.

The reference dates back to the heyday of the Enterprise forum...

(Correct me if I get the details wrong, Dennis.)

Someone had posted a thread in the Enterprise forum that had already been posted a billion times. I made a reference to how the repetitiveness of it all made me feel like I was stuck in the movie "Groundhog Day."

Dennis followed up immediately with Groundhog graphics which became, for a time, the symbol for "Dude, you're the trillionth guy to start a thread on this."

Or something like that...
Old January 19 2008, 11:28 AM   #62
Aragorn
Admiral

Okay, time to spoil it for you. Shatner's in the movie, but as Federation President Denny Crane XIV.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 03:45 PM   #63
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Roxana said:
In England?

ETA: I wish they would show the Twilight Zone here.
William Roache has been on Coronation Street for 47 years, that's probably the longest running single role in TV history as far as I can tell.
Old January 19 2008, 03:57 PM   #64
RodneyMcKay
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't really mind.

The old guys have had their time.Move on.
It's nice Nimoy is in it, but I wouldn't care if he wasn't.
RodneyMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 04:28 PM   #65
Holytomato
Fleet Captain

"No, I think you clearly missed something called Star Trek. It ran from 1966 to 1969. Check it out sometime and you'll understand what she is talking about. It amazes me the number of fans from the Berman era that truly are clueless as to the structure and storytelling focus of TOS."

"I predate the Berman era and shatner isn't what Trek is all about. There's a lot more to it then that."

Here here. Holy Tomato Star Trek Fan Class of '72

TOS movies fans called me a moron. TNG fans called me a moron. Voyager fans called me a moron. Enterprise fans called me a moron. Now TOS fans call me a moron.

I'm still seeing the movie. :thumbsup:
Holytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 06:20 PM   #66
starburst
Fleet Captain

Say the Shat was in this film, are you saying that if/when they do a sequal they have to find a place for him then?

As a Kirk fan Id rather leave Shatner in the past, yes he was my childhood hero growing up in the 80s (you would have thought it would have been TNG but I loved TOS...I like TNG but Kirk and the crew was where I felt it was) but I think it would be a mistake to drag him back unless there was really a good part in the script for him, not a "he was Kirk he has to be in it" and just shove him in
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 06:28 PM   #67
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Well, I have to admit I'm a Berman-era fan, but until 1991 (I think, I was about eight), I'd only seen TOS.... and though I love Shatner as Kirk, I think that it's over for him. Let someone new come, it'll be all right. I don't need anyone from the old cast in the next movie.

And no, Kirk is not the best character in Trek!

Relax, people, the movie's going to be great, and it doesn't need Shatner in it to do well.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 06:59 PM   #68
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Samuel T. Cogley said:
PKTrekGirl said:
Flukie said:
I think you're Shat outta luck on this one.

This needs a few of Dennis's badgers...or beavers...or whatever the hell they are.
They are groundhogs.

The reference dates back to the heyday of the Enterprise forum...

(Correct me if I get the details wrong, Dennis.)

Someone had posted a thread in the Enterprise forum that had already been posted a billion times. I made a reference to how the repetitiveness of it all made me feel like I was stuck in the movie "Groundhog Day."

Dennis followed up immediately with Groundhog graphics which became, for a time, the symbol for "Dude, you're the trillionth guy to start a thread on this."

Or something like that...
Ah...yeah...now I remember. He actually explained it to me a while back, but since I have the memory span of flea, I couldn't remember the whole thing late last night, I'm embarrassed to say.

Thanks.

And I had no idea you were a Cary Grant fan. Learn something new and surprising every day. We could use more classic film fans around here. There are so few of us.....

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 07:06 PM   #69
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

PKTrekGirl said:
And I had no idea you were a Cary Grant fan.
The biggest.

Learn something new and surprising every day. We could use more classic film fans around here. There are so few of us.....
I participated in a favorite films from the 40's thread here at the BBS a while back. I listed probably 10 movies. Someone -- I could have sworn it was you -- called me on the fact that they were all Cary Grant films.
Old January 19 2008, 07:33 PM   #70
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

^ As I said, the memory span of a flea.

Yeah, that was me. Although you never know in a 'list' thread like that just how big of a classic film fan people are. There are probably more than a few people in threads like that who can list their ten favorite classic films....out of the twelve they have actually seen. So I tend apply the 'grain of salt' filter to anything I read in threads like that.

Not to derail this thread (too much)...but have you seen most of Cary Grant's films? I'm a classic film collector, and IMO, some of his funniest films are among the earlier ones that are kinda hard to find unless you are really paying attention or know where to look.

And are you just into Cary Grant, or are there other stars from the golden age that you like?

I think Cary Grant is hilarious and so many of his films are top-notch...he's probably in my top 5 - 7 actors from back then. But my favorite is Gary Cooper. I just love him.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
Old January 21 2008, 11:49 AM   #71
AC84
Captain

starburst said:
Say the Shat was in this film, are you saying that if/when they do a sequal they have to find a place for him then?
FUCK NO! I just want to see Shatner's Kirk pass the torch. I also think it's a little unfair to include Leonard Nimoy in a movie simply titled "Star Trek" and not Shatner. He shouldn't even be in this film if it's really a reboot. And if it isn't a reboot, you can't title the movie "Star Trek" without a subtitle.

"Where were you last year on this exact day?" ~ John Oldman.

Jerome Bixby's The Man from Earth
AC84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 11:52 AM   #72
RodneyMcKay
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can do without all this torch passing.

Last time Shat tried to pass a torch, it was to TNG and we got Generations.Not the worst of movies but lets do much better this time.
RodneyMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 04:55 PM   #73
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Roxana said:

2) He's flawed. But so are we all. That's the joy of humanity. Shatner/Kirk CARED. That counts for a lot.
I think you may be confusing Shatner with Kirk here. Shatner's performance was sure as hell flawed, as intensely enjoyable as it was to watch.

There's almost nothing about Kirk that's flawed. The guy's the quintessential boy scout. Which is fine because the whole device is that this guy is too perfect. Which is what we lowly 20/21st centurians should be aspiring to.

Actually it just occurred to me that between that holier than thou character type and Shatner's performance, it's amazing anybody ever related to the guy at all.

The Shat's performance was special, if a little hammy. But the character and his portrayal of it aren't so complex and unique that nobody else could ever pull it off well.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 05:09 PM   #74
Holytomato
Fleet Captain

Boycott Star Trek XI!!!!
Holytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 05:19 PM   #75
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

DeafPoet said:
Roxana said:

2) He's flawed. But so are we all. That's the joy of humanity. Shatner/Kirk CARED. That counts for a lot.
I think you may be confusing Shatner with Kirk here. Shatner's performance was sure as hell flawed, as intensely enjoyable as it was to watch.

There's almost nothing about Kirk that's flawed. The guy's the quintessential boy scout.
I wasn't aware of the fact that 'quintessential boy scouts' were notorious and incorrigible womanizers.

Clearly, I was in the WRONG Brownie troop.