Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 22 2008, 03:57 PM   #76
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Teaser a Slight to Kirk?

You did not insult her so you need not apologize. Indeed, I was only trying to contextualize my apparent insensitivity to Nimoy. He's a fine actor and I'm a fan.

My opinion vis-a-vis Shatner is a nuanced one. I really think Trek XI would do best to eschew any of the old cast and just start fresh. Barring that, Shatner is no more physically unfit (TNG had a ton of portly flag officers) than Nimoy. Indeed, Shatner carries his weight well and moves like he's in his 50s.

(Of course, Kirk's having died in GEN presents a problem but I say, if they can change pesky things like the design of the Enterprise, they can ignore pesky things like a really bad movie.)

Please do not feel any of the anger I expressed toward another poster here was in any way directed at you. Indeed, this last post of yours had added to my day. Thanks!
Old January 22 2008, 04:33 PM   #77
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

That's cool. I'm happy.
Old January 22 2008, 05:24 PM   #78
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I'm still so ecstatic that contemporary SHATNER IS NOT IN THIS MOVIE. It would be ruined! Yay JJ!

RAMA
It's part of nature too
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 05:30 PM   #79
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

orac said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Nimoy is the only actor who has uttered the line "Space, the final frontier..." in the films before i.e. at the end of TWOK and the beginning of TSFS.
True and Patrick Stewart has "spoken" the lines (albeit with a mild change for the 90s) more times than either of them.

The closest Shatner got was at the close of TUC, when he dedicated the continuing voyages of the starship Enterprise to its new crew who will take it to "where no man, where no one, has gone... before". Which IMHO was a pretty good delivery in itself and finished the old crew's journey nicely.
Old January 22 2008, 05:51 PM   #80
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Brutal Strudel said:
Starship Polaris said:
Brutal Strudel said:
Pointing out shallow hypocrisy on the part of the Shat bashers by illustrating a double standard is most logical.
Actually,it's not. It's just more playground stuff - usually referred to as "You're Another!"
Oh, and it is perfectly acceptable to point out that "you're another" when you truly are another.

Gotta say, Dennis, your smug "bait them and pounce" style would do Karl Rove proud.

Aside to Sam and Kegek: I've been man-tits deep in 19th Century lit so my flames will tend toward the refined. Besides, Mr. Bailey is not really, say, a human sphincter. But a lying poseur? That seems to fit.
Well, as you no doubt expected, you have a warning for flaming. For this post or for the last one - take your pick.

Comments to PM.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2008, 12:49 AM   #81
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Took you long enough!
Old January 23 2008, 12:58 AM   #82
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Brutal Strudel said:
Took you long enough!
Yeah...well...with some people around here, I am still back on the whole 'retarded' issue.

In mod-land, just because a thread is closed doesn't mean the topic doesn't go on forever...and ever...and ever.....and ever....and.....

But fear not. I eventually get around to warning everyone.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2008, 01:10 AM   #83
himynameisjosh
Cadet

I havent seen the teaser yet because my laptop sucks and videos play really slowly, plus i am among the unwashed masses who havent seen cloverfield BUT...

as described, it sounds like the point of having nimoy deliver the line is that most fans of trek and people familiar with the series would recognize his voice immediatley and get excited about the movie. Maybe i'm in the minority but ive never heard pine's voice before so I wouldnt know what it sounds like. Nimoy lends instant recognition because hes part of the trek legacy...pine and quinto, et al are just starting out down that path.

Now, it would be cool if at the END of the movie, if it indeed depicts Kirk going from zero to hero, Pine did the voice over.

Plus nimoy has a super cool voice.

Bring the awesome
himynameisjosh is offline   Reply With Quote