USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 18 2008, 05:59 PM   #16
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Who designed Janeways ready room?

Huntingdon said:

I see you also ignored the reference to the screencaps which show considerably more than a dozen.
I didn't ignore it, you gave me a figure of a dozen and mentioned the sceencap of Demon as an example to support it. I addressed it using the info you provided. It doesn't change the fact the blue suits were in the minority. I also didn't say they didn't have anywhere to work, I did say Voyagers primary function wasn't scientific exploration.
Old January 18 2008, 11:04 PM   #17
Akiraprise

There were a few labs on Voyager, but not many.
I was thinking about a month or so ago when doing an av contest how few blue shirts we actually saw on Voyager. The "Demon" CGI pic not withstanding, we really didn't see all that many crew in blue shirts.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 06:34 AM   #18
Ro_Laren
Commodore

kipron said:
I just want to know where the hell that other door went.
As Akiraprise mentioned, it leads to a hallway. There is an episode in Season 6 (or 7) where Chakotay abducts Janeway and takes her through that door... it leads to a hallway that IIRC has a number of doors.

Anywho, in the second episode I remember when Janeway was meeting with B'Elanna in an office to discuss whether or not she should become the new Chief Engineer. The room was an office with a desk and looked like it could have been her ready room except it didn't have that horrific splash of teal and wasn't as big. Does anyone remember if they changed what Janeway's ready room looked like or was that meeting just in a different office?
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 08:16 AM   #19
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I just looked up the screencaps from Parallax. It's her Ready Room.

KiraDax said:
The same reason Janeway had a bathtub and a private dining room?
Picard has a Private Dining Room. It was seen in Sins of the Father and in early Season One (I think in Haven).
Old January 19 2008, 05:41 PM   #20
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Akiraprise said:
I was thinking about a month or so ago when doing an av contest how few blue shirts we actually saw on Voyager. The "Demon" CGI pic not withstanding, we really didn't see all that many crew in blue shirts.
I have to wonder if at least part of that was due to not having many blue costumes. I know that the blue dye used for the TNG uniforms was notoriously bad at staying the same color, so when the show needed new costumes quickly, it tended to be a red or yellow one. On DS9, I don't remember seeing a whole lot of blue shirts, either, probably for the same reason.
Old January 20 2008, 12:45 AM   #21
Laren
Rear Admiral

Turbo said:
Akiraprise said:
I have to wonder if at least part of that was due to not having many blue costumes. I know that the blue dye used for the TNG uniforms was notoriously bad at staying the same color, so when the show needed new costumes quickly, it tended to be a red or yellow one. On DS9, I don't remember seeing a whole lot of blue shirts, either, probably for the same reason.
I guess you're on to something here.
A ship that's meant to go on deep space missions ought to have a considerable number of science officers, right? To explore the unknown things the crew might encounter? I figure they just didn't show us all the science officers.

And I have this vague feeling that the Voyager is one of those ships that are bigger on the inside than on the outside...
Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2008, 09:16 AM   #22
kipron
Rear Admiral

Laren said:
And I have this vague feeling that the Voyager is one of those ships that are bigger on the inside than on the outside...
Hell, Voyager is bigger on the outside than it looks on the outside.

That's pretty much the only way to explain how the Delta Flyer can get through the landing bay doors.

Despite such oddities, Voyager remains my favourite Trek ship. I want to rewatch that S6 episode just to get another look at Deck 15! :thumbsup:
Old January 22 2008, 01:09 AM   #23
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

People kep telling me that Voyager is explicitly mentioned in dialogue as a scout. Where IS this, anyway? I've never been able to find it.

Anyway, Rick Sternbach has said on multiple occasions that Voyager is really just a small explorer. Most of the capacity of, say, a BIG explorer like the Galaxy class, packaged in a much smaller box with a higher top speed. It's meant to go where the big boys can't go, get there faster, and to get around quickly when you get there. There's still advantages to having the Galaxy class boys out there, but when you can't have one, you can get a smaller ship with fewer crew to do effectively the same thing, as Voyager has shown many times.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 01:24 AM   #24
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Smiley said:
Real reason: it's a redress of a TNG set.
I don't think that's true. The only major TNG set piece that appears to have been recycled for the ready room is one of the window bay segments from Ten Forward.
Old January 22 2008, 02:09 AM   #25
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Laren said:

I guess you're on to something here.
A ship that's meant to go on deep space missions ought to have a considerable number of science officers, right? To explore the unknown things the crew might encounter? I figure they just didn't show us all the science officers.

Not if the ships main function is to just chart space, anomalies & planets then rely that information to a science vessel to explore it.

Just keep in mind, every different class of Starfleet vessel is designed for a unique function that other vessels may or may not also be designed for.
Old January 27 2008, 05:16 AM   #26
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

FalTorPan said:
Smiley said:
I don't think that's true. The only major TNG set piece that appears to have been recycled for the ready room is one of the window bay segments from Ten Forward.
Actually, the entire Voyager set (with the exception of the Bridge) was a redress of the Enterprise-D sets.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 06:22 AM   #27
skylark
Commander

As FalTorPan indicated, the only parts of the ready room (and the briefing room) that were recycled from the TNG set were the window bays. Also, the replicator came from TNG. Everything else on those sets (and the bridge) was entirely new construction.

The corridors, sickbay, and mess hall were partially recycled, but much of the recycling was of unseen structural elements. Many of the actual walls and other pieces seen on camera were made specifically for Voyager.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 06:30 PM   #28
exodus
Fleet Admiral

RandyS said:
FalTorPan said:
Smiley said:
Actually, the entire Voyager set (with the exception of the Bridge) was a redress of the Enterprise-D sets.
Nope, the set is completely brand new. The book "The Voyager Companion" is all about the behind the scenes pre-production of the show and shows them building the sets from scratch. Also midway thru season 4, the bridge set caught fire and part of it had to be rebuilt.
Old January 27 2008, 07:52 PM   #29
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

exodus said:
RandyS said:
FalTorPan said:
Smiley said:
Nope, the set is completely brand new. The book "The Voyager Companion" is all about the behind the scenes pre-production of the show and shows them building the sets from scratch. Also midway thru season 4, the bridge set caught fire and part of it had to be rebuilt.
I think the sets were MOSTLY brand-new. The VOY sets were built on the same stages as the TNG sets, and as a result, some bits and pieces were recycled from the previous series. I think the basic frames and layout of the corridors, for example, were left over from TNG but were refurbished and given new walls and paneling and carpets, etc. Windows from Ten-Forward were flipped around and re-used in the VOY ready room and conference room. The transporter pad no doubt was recycled from TNG. The bridge and engineering sets were all new.

IIRC, the only time ALL-NEW sets were built was for ENT. Since the TNG/VOY sets were in continuous use from 1987 - 2001, the soundstage was in terrible shape and they had to completely gut it and throw everything away. Nothing was recycled for the ENT sets (except perhaps props or set dressings).
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 08:06 PM   #30
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Warp Coil said:
exodus said:
RandyS said:
FalTorPan said:
Smiley said:
I think the sets were MOSTLY brand-new. The VOY sets were built on the same stages as the TNG sets, and as a result, some bits and pieces were recycled from the previous series. I think the basic frames and layout of the corridors, for example, were left over from TNG but were refurbished and given new walls and paneling and carpets, etc. Windows from Ten-Forward were flipped around and re-used in the VOY ready room and conference room. The transporter pad no doubt was recycled from TNG. The bridge and engineering sets were all new.

IIRC, the only time ALL-NEW sets were built was for ENT. Since the TNG/VOY sets were in continuous use from 1987 - 2001, the soundstage was in terrible shape and they had to completely gut it and throw everything away. Nothing was recycled for the ENT sets (except perhaps props or set dressings).
The bridge on ENT doesn't remind you of the set for the Defiant?