Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 19 2008, 12:10 AM   #76
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Vance said:
It's odd that people have been whining and complaining about how awful everything trek is for years and yet they still continue to watch it...
I haven't made a comment on the quality of the movie yet.. but, this is curious logic.

Before I decide if I want to see the movie, I should see the movie?
That's obviously not what I said. What I said was that it's pretty silly that some people are always complaining about how awful trek is, and yet they continue to watch new episodes and movies as they are released. They complain about it (often for trivial reasons) and yet continue to be viewers.

I'm pretty sure that many, if not most of the people who are complaining about how horrible STXI is going to be are still going to see it regardless.
What's his face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:12 AM   #77
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

JoeRalat said:Seeing the B&W Version looks like Gabe's Model. Has anyone heard from this guy? Has he said anything like..No its not my model..etc
Gabe stated that his model was done solely for the calendar. He stated, emphatically, that he was in no way working on this film (he's working on the live-action "Speed Racer" film at the moment!). So unless he was just lying... which I don't buy into... or unless they offered him enough to allow him to burn some bridges on the other film... or if that other film has been killed... it's terribly hard to believe that he's involved in the making of this film.

However, it's very obvious that ONE key element (the "nacelle foreskins" we see there) is something that had never been seen before his speculative work.

I'm hoping, still (albeit with not a whole lotta "hope" involved) that this may not be what we see in the film. Maybe that's the model they're making of the Republic?

But if this IS his model... well, he signed over the rights, so he has no legal claim as far as I know. But it would be the height of classlessness to use his original concept without at least listing his name in the credits.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:15 AM   #78
Vance
Vice Admiral

Sorry, that was odd, I was attempting to quote Ancient there and got your block instead.

But, as for me, I didn't watch most of the ENT or VOY series, precious little of the DS9 series, I didn't see the last TNG movie... And, in all honesty, I doubt I'll see this new one. I'm certainly not going to see it in the theaters.

So, your accusation doesn't hold with me, screwed-up quoting aside.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:20 AM   #79
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Vance said:
Sorry, that was odd, I was attempting to quote Ancient there and got your block instead.

But, as for me, I didn't watch most of the ENT or VOY series, precious little of the DS9 series, I didn't see the last TNG movie... And, in all honesty, I doubt I'll see this new one. I'm certainly not going to see it in the theaters.

So, your accusation doesn't hold with me, screwed-up quoting aside.
No worries about the quotes

I don't doubt you. As for me, I'm a bit of a trek fan, but I missed most of ENT (not too good except for S4) and I never saw Nemesis. I'll probably just get this one when it comes out on DVD or download it.

And I think the new Enterprise looks cool. Better than the old one (gets ready top be stoned to death by TOS fundamentalists )
Old January 19 2008, 12:59 AM   #80
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

ancient said:
Well, to be fair, you really should watch it if you want to bitch about it. Plus you might possibly end up liking it...
LOL... even if they say they won't be there - they'll be there so they can come here and complain later and state how Abrams, Orci... ect have ruined Star Trek. Then when the box office returns come in and its a proven hit they'll disown it as "popular mindless entertainment" not "real" Star Trek.

I can here it already.
Of course the franchise will flourish without them since there will be a whole generation new that cares about Star Trek.

Oh and particular scorn will be held for new fans who came to Trek by way of this movie.

Sharr *who knows the myth of the open minded Trek fan is right up there with Vulcan's not lying...*
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 01:03 AM   #81
Ptrope
Agitator

Let's keep the conversation on the ship and not the fans. Thanks!
Old January 19 2008, 01:04 AM   #82
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Sharr Khan said:
ancient said:
Well, to be fair, you really should watch it if you want to bitch about it. Plus you might possibly end up liking it...
LOL... even if they say they won't be there - they'll be there so they can come here and complain later and state how Abrams, Orci... ect have ruined Star Trek.
Star Trek has been "ruined" how many times now?
Old January 19 2008, 01:19 AM   #83
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Are we looking at an Erector set, or did he shoot for Steampunk and miss the mark by about 5 miles?

From what I can see, this is going to be worse than the E-E.

I will give them credit for (unknowingly) using the FJ Microgramma font. I've always thought that was perfect for pre-TOS Starfleet.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 01:33 AM   #84
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Some Guy said:
Sharr Khan said:
ancient said:
LOL... even if they say they won't be there - they'll be there so they can come here and complain later and state how Abrams, Orci... ect have ruined Star Trek.
Oh, three times at least.

Hopefully Abrams' movie will enable it to resurge to the point that we'll get the chance to see it ruined another dozen times. :thumbsup:
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 01:35 AM   #85
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Starship Polaris said:
Some Guy said:
Sharr Khan said:
ancient said:
Oh, three times at least.

Hopefully Abrams' movie will enable it to resurge to the point that we'll get the chance to see it ruined another dozen times. :thumbsup:
Laugh riot.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 01:49 AM   #86
Wingsley
Commodore

largo said:
sigh. fandom does as much to ruin star trek as it does to help it.
Not my job to do either one, the last time I checked.

Old January 19 2008, 01:52 AM   #87
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Are we looking at an Erector set, or did he shoot for Steampunk and miss the mark by about 5 miles?
I'm pretty sure he hit the mark right dead on... and ah that Erector set stuff looks to be scaffolding to me.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 02:05 AM   #88
Holytomato
Fleet Captain

Oh my God! They raped my childhood!!

oops...

:turning tin foil mode off:

Vektor, Gabe, the person who did the April Fool's Day design, and the other person who did the recent fake trailer were correct.

Oh Good. My wife is home. Did I tell you my wife is a Trekker?
Holytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 02:40 AM   #89
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Does anyone else wonder why they're finishing the interiror when they've not yet completed the exterior and why they've already painted on the hull markings before they've even finished building the damn thing?
Old January 19 2008, 03:04 AM   #90
Wingsley
Commodore

Sharr Khan said:
ancient said:
LOL... even if they say they won't be there - they'll be there so they can come here and complain later and state how Abrams, Orci... ect have ruined Star Trek. Then when the box office returns come in and its a proven hit they'll disown it as "popular mindless entertainment" not "real" Star Trek.

I can here it already.

Ummm...

Sorry if this disappoints, but I the last TREK movie I saw in the theater (in fact, the last TREK movie I saw at all) was FIRST CONTACT. Haven't seen one since.

By the way, it's "hear" not "here".

The title of this thread is "The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!", so I don't see a problem with people posting a bona fide critique. (Surely you jest!)

Seriously, when I see this kind of image, I must admit one thought immediately pops into my head: STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE. Some people loved it, others hated it. I have mixed feelings about it. ENT gave us gems like "First Flight" and "Minefield", and despite some avoidable continuity goofs and controversy over the appearance of the title ship, I think the series went off the air with a great deal of unfulfilled potential, mostly due to poor-quality of stories and continuity goofs that offended the fans. Having said that, I can understand and respect when fans look at the NX-01 and dismiss the show as a Bermanian wannabe.

I did not know if the new movie is expected to be a canon prequel or an entire re-imagining. My reaction was a critique based on the expectation that the movie would be a canon prequel. In that context, I stand by what I said.

If the movie is a Ronald D. Moore-style re-imagining (a la GALACTICA) then that opens up a new can of worms. STAR TREK wasn't a half-baked 1970's space fantasy that got cancelled after a year, resurrected for a nausaeting kid's show and then cancelled again before someone came along 25 years later and completely re-imagined it. STAR TREK enjoyed three full years on NBC, got the boot, then lived on in reruns, grew a cult following in the '70's and became a a growing, multi-faceted motion picture and TV franchise. Despite some really silly goofs in continuity along the way, lots of viewers (myself included) only became vocal when the concept erosion became obvious. So, I don't see why the 40-year legacy has to be thrown away. Despite some goofs and flaws, TREK is a success. The franchise doesn't need a re-make. I'm not saying a re-make would be illegitimate. I just don't see why it's necessary.

Pursuing a re-make opens up a whole new can of worms folks don't seem to be considering. Who will these new characters really be? What do they stand for? Given Hollywood's penchant for cheapening re-makes, it isn't hard to imagine a re-made James T. Kirk looking like a gun-toting cross between Leonardo DiCaprio and George Michael. Of course, as of this moment, there is no hard evidence to expect this will happen. Still, Hollywood didn't earn my confidence when they re-made TORA! TORA! TORA! in the insidious form of PEARL HARBOR. (And no, I don't need to go see or rent the later when I know from the critics that the later was a phony, sappy love story that cannot stand in the shadow of the former.)

Even if one accepts the notion that TREK needs re-made, I do not see why it can't be based on TOS, instead of TMP or Bermanian TREK. After all, with the release of the new "remastered" DVDs, the jury is "in": 40-year-old TREK is generating more buzz (and probably making more money) right now than TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT combined.

Now, if TREK were "hitting the reset button", I would be curious to see if Hollywood could pull off a quality re-creation of TOS, the smooth-hulled, block-lettered Enterprise, a new Kennedyeque/Shatneresque Jim Kirk, old sound effects and all. Of course, I would like to see a tad more detailing on the hull and maybe some controls would have more interesting sound effects. There would be other changes, as well: the computers and viewscreens would look different. And female humanoid crewmembers would be clad in either utilitarian jumpsuits or a "skant" modification of the original sexist mini-skirts. It would be lots of fun to see a re-made TOS in HD as a new TV series. It really would. But if Hollywood's track record is anything to go by, the funky new Kirk will probably be less interested in doing his duty than posing in front of a mirror, wondering if his brazilian-waxed girlfriend will approve of him getting his nipples pierced.