Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 18 2008, 10:05 PM   #61
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Yes.

Somewhat more of the latter than the former, I expect.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 10:26 PM   #62
Redfern
Commodore

largo said:
sigh. fandom does as much to ruin star trek as it does to help it.
At least this time it can't be blamed upon the "furries".

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 10:27 PM   #63
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Vance said:
the more removed from the design you get, the more unhappy fans and casual fans will be.
`
It was allowed in TMP because it was 'a whole new Enterprise' and was written that way. The update had a story-driven excuse.
This is a picture of the Enterprise under construction. Who's to say that what we saw on TOS wasn't a 'refit' of this?

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 10:34 PM   #64
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

largo said:
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. Some people are so stuck in the past that they don't want to move forward. There's also a lot of people jumping to conclusions as to what the movie is going to be about. Here's an idea. Why don't we watch the movie first and *then* critique it. It's just one freaking picture!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 10:34 PM   #65
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Wingsley said:
Is this new movie a Ronald D. Moore-style re-imagining of STAR TREK, setting aside canon and just coming up with a whole new universe, or is this supposed to be part of canon, such as it has been for 40 years?
A bit of both. Think "Superman Returns."
Old January 18 2008, 10:41 PM   #66
Ptrope
Agitator

Redfern said:
largo said:
At least this time it can't be blamed upon the "furries".

Sincerely,

Bill
Oh, I don't know - I've heard that we'll see tribbles, which is as much a slap in the face of every died-in-the-fur Trekker as Microgramma and bulging members .

So far, I don't dislike what I see - heck, there's not really enough there for any rational person to make a judgment, really (what am I talking about, "rational?". I build non-existent models of non-existent ship interiors - and ones I admit aren't even "accurate" !! ). What we do see looks close enough, to me, to believe that when we see the whole thing, I'm not going to ask, "Umm, what ship is that supposed to be?" even if I can't see the name tattoed across the roof.

But even based upon what we see, I'd still rather have Vektor's update - it's rationally changed without doing it gratuitously - which is what I think the aztecing here is. But I won't avoid the theater just because of it - I'll leave that excuse up to the skills of the Transformers writers ...
Old January 18 2008, 11:01 PM   #67
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Ptrope said:
I'm not convinced the nacelles are that big, frankly - it looks to me that the focal length of the 'camera' is compressing the perspective of the shot, because the bridge area also looks pretty large in comparison to the leading edge of the saucer.

That's a good assessment IMO ... it looks like a telephoto view, and folks probably aren't used to seeing spaceships with compressed images (though the still guys at ILM used to take lots of SW pics that way ... most pr stills of imperials chasing the FALCON have got this compresion on the star destroyers.)

Walter Hill shot nearly all of SUPERNOVA with long lenses, but that was on interiors, not exteriors ... 2001 used long lenses, not wide angle ones, but that was with huge miniatures, whereas this Enterprise image looks like an artist's conception of a ship rather than something physical and impressive.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 11:10 PM   #68
ancient
Vice Admiral

I think people need to lay off the "fans are ruining trek" attitude, which seems to be posted whenever someone has any critique of anything.

POSTER1: "I don't like it because it's not like the original."

POSTER2: "You are ruining Trek!"

POSTER3: "Yeah you're so negative! You're ruining trek!"

Come on, guys, not everyone is required to love every aspect of the new movie (or any aspect of it, for that matter). If they don't like something, they don't like it. Deal with it. The positive reaction from Fandom has far outweighed the negative, at least here.

Now then. As something of a purist, I'm pretty Ok with this. (a purist being someone who likes the original version best and doesn't have to like something new based only on it being new.) I'm a bit disappointed they didn't go with the TOS design, but I like this new design (so far). It's not the original, but still quite nice. I think they went for a TMP-era design.

It looks very similar. TMP-with-Gabe-nacelles. There are worse things.
Old January 18 2008, 11:27 PM   #69
scotthm
Rear Admiral

TheSeeker said:
If you are willing to accept the recasting of all the original characters I see no reason why you can't accept the recasting of the Enterprise too. Just because she looks different doesn't automatically make it bad.
True. Fans have no choice but to accept new actors in the roles, but changes to the Enterprise are not necessary. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

However, even though I'm not immediately impressed with the image of the new Enterprise we've just seen, I'm still willing to wait to see what transpires. After all, the Enterprise on the assembly line might be expected to look a little rough.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 11:44 PM   #70
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Wingsley said:
If the subject image of this thread is actually derived from the upcoming movie, and not a fake, I would say that's a major strike against the movie. I doubt I would waste ten bucks on a movie ticket and popcorn.
I'm willing to bet you and people like you will in fact go see this movie on the night of the premiere, and then come on here and bitch about how horrible it is. And then, when it comes out on DVD, you'll rent it, watch the movie and the special features, and then come on here and bitch about it again.

It's odd that people have been whining and complaining about how awful everything trek is for years and yet they still continue to watch it...
What's his face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 11:51 PM   #71
ancient
Vice Admiral

Well, to be fair, you really should watch it if you want to bitch about it. Plus you might possibly end up liking it...
Old January 18 2008, 11:56 PM   #72
What's his face
Rear Admiral

ancient said:
Well, to be fair, you really should watch it if you want to bitch about it. Plus you might possibly end up liking it...
Some people have already decided they hate it and the movie doesn't come out for a year.
What's his face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:01 AM   #73
JoeRalat
Fleet Captain

Seeing the B&W Version looks like Gabe's Model. Has anyone heard from this guy? Has he said anything like..No its not my model..etc

User Name Was Resistance3..Now JoeRalat
JoeRalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:03 AM   #74
Vance
Vice Admiral

It's odd that people have been whining and complaining about how awful everything trek is for years and yet they still continue to watch it...
I haven't made a comment on the quality of the movie yet.. but, this is curious logic.

Before I decide if I want to see the movie, I should see the movie?
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:10 AM   #75
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The only part of the image that looks like Gabe's model is the rounded cowlings on the fronts of the nacelles.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote