RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,701
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 459
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 18 2008, 01:55 PM   #46
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

What i find hillaroius is the fact, that they used the font, that FJ used for the registries in his Tech Manual .
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 03:03 PM   #47
Icy_Penguigo
Captain

Sean_McCormick said:
What i find hillaroius is the fact, that they used the font, that FJ used for the registries in his Tech Manual .
I'm super-stoked about that, since that's the font I've used on all my SFB Federation ships.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/
Icy_Penguigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 04:00 PM   #48
Q2UnME
Commodore

Well, after having a chance to see the trailer now, all I can say is we really need a good quality high res version. There are other shots that give quick glimpses of other parts of the ship. I swear there was a brief glimpse of the top of the secondary hull, between the nycell struts. I also think there was a shot from the end of one of the warp engines looking back at the primary hull/neck/secondary hull. It also looked to me that the were building the whole damn ship, not just parts of it. We need screen caps from a high res version damn-it!!!

I think I moistened myself.....

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 04:11 PM   #49
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Aside from the atmospheric effects, I think the biggest thing that makes me think this is "on" Earth is the cables hanging from the cranes and scaffolding. They suggest that this is in a gravity environment.

Of course, I also agree with TheSeeker that it looks like a guy in a spacesuit on the leading edge of the saucer.
Old January 18 2008, 04:21 PM   #50
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

I was thinking that that splash of yellow-orange sparks in the middle of the picture was coming from a worker welding something on the hull.
Old January 18 2008, 04:36 PM   #51
JoeRalat
Fleet Captain

Again John Eaves worked on this new Enterprise, and he worked on Enterprise. Do you think that he took elements from the NX-01 and used it on this "TOS" Enterprise? Maybe thats why it has the TMP look to it.

User Name Was Resistance3..Now JoeRalat
JoeRalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 07:50 PM   #52
theARE
Lieutenant Commander

I've done a wallpaper if anyone wants it:
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8d672baef8.jpg
theARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 08:04 PM   #53
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Hate it. Probably won't even go to see Cloverfield, so I don't have to see that abomination of a trailer again.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 08:31 PM   #54
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Did Eaves work on the Enterprise? I know that he's one of the artists working on the movie.

Loved the trailer. Also loved "Cloverfield."

We do get a pretty clear look at the lower surface of the saucer as well. It looks as much like the TMP saucer as does the top surface (has the lighting coves around the lower sensor dome, for example). Those big honkin' engines are the greatest departure so far from the familiar design.

Generally speaking, Kirk's new Enterprise looks pretty good so far. :thumbsup:
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 08:46 PM   #55
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Captain Robert April said:
Hate it. Probably won't even go to see Cloverfield, so I don't have to see that abomination of a trailer again.
Not "Trek enough" for you, no starfield or anything. Good that's the point.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 08:49 PM   #56
Wingsley
Commodore

If the subject image of this thread is actually derived from the upcoming movie, and not a fake, I would say that's a major strike against the movie. I doubt I would waste ten bucks on a movie ticket and popcorn.

1: The registry lettering on the hull does not match the block-lettering style used in TOS. (For sake of argument, I am including "The Menagerie"/"The Cage" as part of TOS here.)

2: Ptrope is dead-on-target about the aztecing of the saucer hull. This also does not match what we saw in TOS. I would hedge this remark by saying I don't have a problem with retconning some hull surface detail that wasn't canon in TOS, providing it doesn't look blatant.

3: The image, if genuine, seems to suggest that the Starship Enterprise, NCC-1701, is in its original construction phase here. I understand that this movie is supposed to include a young James T. Kirk and Spock. I already have a problem with Kirk and Spock just happening to meet for the first time in a TREK movie that far predates TOS; the content of TOS always seemed to indicate they had known each other for a while, but not for most if not all of Kirk's Starfleet career. I really have a HUGE problem with Kirk and Spock's first acquaintance and also have the construction of the Enterprise going on as well. That makes the TREK Universe go from small to cramped! Disagree with me if you like, it's a free country and and even freer web; but I understood the NCC-1701 starship to be built years before Kirk even entered Starfleet Academy. Kirk was a lieutenant on the Farragut 11 years before Year 2 of TOS (presumably 2267) so that would place his service aboard the ill-fated Farragut in 2256, within a couple years of Pike's adventure on Talos IV. I had understood that NCC-1701 was built in 2245, or perhaps before. If this is the case, then Kirk could not have been a Kennedyesque thirtysomething, maybe 40, during TOS. Just doesn't fit.

4: I have a hard time accepting that the bridge module would be open like that. I understood, for a long time now, that the bridge module is almost like a separate vessel, that you build it by itself and fit it onto the completed, or nearly completed, starship. I understood the difference in the shape of the bridge module between the times of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and Year 1 of TOS could be explained by an obvious refit of the Enterprise, including the fitting of a new bridge atop the saucer.

5: The shape of the saucer overall, from what we see of it, does not look like TOS.

Some folks may not care about continuity, but for me I don't see the point of so blatantly ignoring continuity after the folks who remastered TOS thus far have done an arguably decent job of preserving it. Why bother remastering TOS if you don't respect its content?

There is one small trap-door that Paramount's people could try to escape through: they could say that the Enterprise we're seeing here isn't being constructed, but refit after already being in service for years. The doesn't explain the open bridge or the lettering on the hull, but it would make sense from an historical perspective if the NCC-1701 had been built before 2245, making the ship significantly older. I have no problem with Kirk's Enterprise having already been in service for several decades.
Old January 18 2008, 09:20 PM   #57
Arlo
Fleet Captain

^ "Open bridge"? It's *under construction*. As in not completed. As in the outer skin hasn't been put on yet.
Old January 18 2008, 09:43 PM   #58
largo
Fleet Captain

sigh. fandom does as much to ruin star trek as it does to help it.
Old January 18 2008, 09:44 PM   #59
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Wingsley said:
There is one small trap-door that Paramount's people could try to escape through: they could say that the Enterprise we're seeing here isn't being constructed, but refit after already being in service for years.
They're not trying to escape; they're not confined.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 09:54 PM   #60
Wingsley
Commodore

Is this new movie a Ronald D. Moore-style re-imagining of STAR TREK, setting aside canon and just coming up with a whole new universe, or is this supposed to be part of canon, such as it has been for 40 years?