Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 9 2008, 01:20 AM   #571
Holytomato
Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Captain Robert April said:
Obviously, it's being made of something totally kewl, dude! since that appears to have been the primary consideration, how kewl it looks.

This is what happens when you start playing games with these kinds of longstanding assumptions, like the bulk of work on the Enterprise's construction being done in orbit. Ya tend to ignore the reasons why that assumption was made in the first place, like maybe it makes a helluva lot more sense to build a ship of that size in orbit. Never mind that nothing in canon spells out the process explicitly, the logical problems alone should be enough to chuck this notion of building it on the ground out the nearest airlock.

The plaque says, "San Fransisco, Calif."

Its part of The Canon tm. :thumbsup:

My new phrase, JJ is scum for cherry picking The Canon tm, but we TOS purists are not tm.

"Obviously, it's being made of something totally kewl, dude! since that appears to have been the primary consideration, how kewl it looks."

This movie is not being made for us Irrelevent Old Fogeys. We must bring in new fans. :thumbsup:
Holytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2008, 01:31 AM   #572
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Captain Robert April said:
Obviously, it's being made of something totally kewl, dude!...
Like that kewl "duranium" and other nonsense words Trek's been using for decades to duck engineering questions.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2008, 04:24 AM   #573
Vektor
Rear Admiral

This is still very preliminary, but I started building the Enterprise we saw in the teaser trailer using my own modified version as a starting point. Only the saucer section has been modified so far, so ignore the rest.

I'll try to post some other views later tonight.

Old February 9 2008, 01:32 PM   #574
therealfoxbat
Commander

Arlo said:
Star trek has time travel and a device that can scramble your molecules and send them to another location intact. I think what makes sense from the standpoint of real physics is a minor quibble.
Nothing in physics says you can't time travel. You just need a serious buttload of energy...

I really DO have a squirrelly wrath, you know...
therealfoxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2008, 06:17 PM   #575
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Vektor, that looks pretty damned cool.

I like the lowered, flattened "teardrop" just below the Bridge a lot.
Old February 9 2008, 09:39 PM   #576
largo
Fleet Captain

there, now that our lord Vektor is doing a take of it, can we all agree that its made of awesome and full of the win?
Old February 9 2008, 09:51 PM   #577
Arlo
Fleet Captain

largo said:
there, now that our lord Vektor is doing a take of it, can we all agree that its made of awesome and full of the win?
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think any reasonable person would understand that Vektor's work, always excellent, has no bearing on the design itself, which he is merely attempting to interpret.
Old February 9 2008, 10:20 PM   #578
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I'm waiting for the side-by-side comparison shot with the original design.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2008, 10:43 PM   #579
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I know exactly what the original design looks like. It's different from this, not better.
Old February 10 2008, 02:21 AM   #580
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I updated the previous image in this thread with some added detail and here are a few more showing different angles:

I figured these might help clarify what the ship in the teaser trailer looked like for those who feel like debating its merits, or lack thereof. I can't guarantee this is accurate, of course; it's just my best attempt to match what little was shown. Some of it, like the back of the bridge module, is highly speculative, and everything but the saucer section is a hold-over from my previous version of this model, not to be confused with the official version.

I'll keep adding details to this model as, presumably, more are revealed between now and December.
Old February 10 2008, 02:51 AM   #581
ancient
Vice Admiral

I still love that deflector...

I think they'll probably go with the two-door bridge, though.

Nice work, btw!
Old February 10 2008, 12:33 PM   #582
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Looks great would make a nice Constitution varient or an evolutionary jump to the TMP era ships.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2008, 02:02 PM   #583
Arlo
Fleet Captain

I'm hoping it has the classic single offset turbolift, offset 36°. Oh, and a shot showing it fits right into that exterior housing
Old February 10 2008, 06:42 PM   #584
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Basically, it would appear that they've taken the bridge and scanner/sensor array domes and "supersized" them in relation to the overall size and proportion of the ship, and then (again if what we've seen in the trailer, and Vektors "accurate as far as anyone can tell so far" attempt at matching) abandoned the "philosophical" rational for them being what they were before.

I'm really hoping that we won't see this done this way in the film... because it just MADE SENSE that the "bridge dome" contained the BRIDGE... and just the bridge. At least, it did to me. Having it be a "pointless kewl shape" as it would APPEAR is the case now is... well, at best it's a little annoying. Again, IMHO.

It's not the SHAPES, exactly, that I care about... it's the LOGICAL FUNCTIONALITY of the design. If what we've seen in the trailer is accurate, they've abandoned that and THAT will annoy me.

On the other hand, if the idea is that the B/C deck superstructure "used" to be only 1 deck thick (Pre-TOS) (making the p-hull only 10... or even just 9... decks thick instead of the TOS-established 11 decks)... THAT I could live with, I 'spose. It would establish that between the time the did this and the time we first saw the ship, they rebuilt the B/C deck superstructure entirely (which isn't unreasonable for a refit) and added some overall height to the design in the process, but left the saucer structure itself unaltered.

Again, I'm HOPING that the ship we see in the film that's supposed to be "our" Enterprise is actually that ship. If there's an alternate reality version, well... in THAT case I can deal with it being pink with green polkadots and 2000 km long and wouldn't blanche...

... as long as we end up the movie back in the "real" universe we all know, and MOST of us love.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2008, 08:08 PM   #585
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

From your keyboard to the Great Bird's email....
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote