Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 7 2008, 04:13 PM   #541
ThomastheCat
Captain

View ThomastheCat's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

For a more direct comparison:

Not really scientific by any means but it might be helpful.
Old February 7 2008, 04:28 PM   #542
ST-One
Vice Admiral

They are the same.

Look at those images.
In both you can clearly see these 'bulges' around the (nacelle's) hull.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2008, 05:27 PM   #543
ThomastheCat
Captain

I don't think they're the same. The angle for the intercooler is steeper than the angle on the other area. Plus the curve along the top of the piece in the right photo doesn't appear consistent with the straight perspective seen on the intercooler.
Old February 7 2008, 07:30 PM   #544
largo
Fleet Captain

the two shots are from completely different perspectives, comparing angles is pointless. its my impression that the shot in question is intended to be of one of the nacelles, with camera aft looking forward.
Old February 7 2008, 08:15 PM   #545
Arlo
Fleet Captain

I'll personally print out this forum page and eat it if that isn't a nacelle.
Old February 7 2008, 08:23 PM   #546
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Arlo said:I'll personally print out this forum page and eat it if that isn't a nacelle.
That only counts if you promise to take a picture of you doing it and post it here!
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2008, 09:00 PM   #547
ThomastheCat
Captain

Another possibility that hasn't gotten much discussion is that it's at the rear of the secondary hull looking forward and the big hole up front is where the neck will go...
Old February 7 2008, 09:11 PM   #548
Forbin
Admiral

I know it's silly to say this on this forum, but does anyone realize how pointless this discussion has become?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2008, 09:11 PM   #549
Sean_McCormick
Captain

It actually looks like the plating wraps around the corner on the outer top side and not as it would just end there, which can be expected, if something is to be attached there.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2008, 09:33 PM   #550
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Cary L. Brown said:
Arlo said:I'll personally print out this forum page and eat it if that isn't a nacelle.
That only counts if you promise to take a picture of you doing it and post it here!
Cary -

Tell ya what-- and I'm serious-- Instead of putting possibly dangerous inkjet chemicals and paper product in my mouth, I'll put money there instead:

If what is shown in the teaser trailer is *not* a nacelle, I will personally donate $75 to the charity of your choice. And yes, I will scan the check/paypal receipt/whatever and post it here as proofination.

Deal?
Old February 7 2008, 10:01 PM   #551
Q2UnME
Commodore

Well, Arlo, I happen to agree with you. It's a nacelle, but I think the orientation is not quite right. In my opinion "we're" looking/positioned between what would be the intercoolers facing/looking aft. There appears, at least to me, what could be a small dude with a light standing off in the distance on top of what I think is the rear end of the nycelle. I've got a 22" model on my workbench right now and I sighted it last night. The proportions work out almost perfectly.

And, yes, Forbin, this is getting to be pointless. The finial VFX are likely to change quite a bit from some teaser trailer that was made very early on in production, quite possibly when most of the VFX shots were still nothing more than story board drawings and crude animatics.

I for one, just hopes that SOME model company out there gives us a decent, accurate, model to build of what ever the damn thing ends up looking like. Oh and, yes, Forbin, we'll be expecting several kitbashes from you....

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2008, 10:12 PM   #552
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Arlo said:
Cary L. Brown said:
Cary -

Tell ya what-- and I'm serious-- Instead of putting possibly dangerous inkjet chemicals and paper product in my mouth, I'll put money there instead:

If what is shown in the teaser trailer is *not* a nacelle, I will personally donate $75 to the charity of your choice. And yes, I will scan the check/paypal receipt/whatever and post it here as proofination.

Deal?
Well, if you really want to do that, I'd be fine with it, but as a rule I'm not really a betting man, and I don't particularly encourage that with others (long story involving a family member who had a gambling problem).

I was really trying to make a little joke... ya know?

Still, I think it's more debatable than some of you guys do... it really really looks like the back of the 1701(r)... in form and in size... more than it does like any nacelle detail I've ever seen (including the one seen here). But as I've said... we'll all know soon enough, won't we?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2008, 10:20 PM   #553
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Cary L. Brown said:
...I think it's more debatable than some of you guys do... it really really looks like the back of the 1701(r)... in form and in size... more than it does like any nacelle detail I've ever seen (including the one seen here). But as I've said... we'll all know soon enough, won't we?
You make a good point here. Perhaps the comparison worth making is not to a photo of the aft secondary hull of a 1701 model, but rather to a photo of the aft secondary hull of a 1701 refit model.

Though I think it's a nacelle, the lack of any radiating screen on the intercoolers makes them look like... well, to quote somebody, wings.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2008, 10:47 PM   #554
ancient
Vice Admiral

It really looks nothing like a secondary hull to me. Too narrow in the front. I think that those trailer nacelles look as big around as the engine hull anyway, so I wouldn't go by size alone.
Old February 7 2008, 11:01 PM   #555
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Cary L. Brown said:
Well, if you really want to do that, I'd be fine with it, but as a rule I'm not really a betting man, and I don't particularly encourage that with others (long story involving a family member who had a gambling problem).

I was really trying to make a little joke... ya know?

Still, I think it's more debatable than some of you guys do... it really really looks like the back of the 1701(r)... in form and in size... more than it does like any nacelle detail I've ever seen (including the one seen here). But as I've said... we'll all know soon enough, won't we?
Well if it was a real bet, you would have to pony up if I was right..but no matter, if that's against your principles, I'll let it go. Anything to get out of eating paper