Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 29 2008, 03:45 AM   #376
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Personally, I'm surprised that the Big E looks as close to the original as it does. For the vast majority of the viewing public that go see this movie, the new design will be indistinguishable from the old.

Myself, I always liked the Koerner-prise, so seeing this new incarnation going in a similar but more subuded direction is a good thing in my books.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2008, 04:28 AM   #377
Forbin
Admiral

Holytomato said:

"I just like the good old 1701 design a lot and the later refit, Vektor, Prof Moriarty etc showed so many times that there's nothing wrong with the original E that I am a tad dissapointed that TPTB can't come up with anything close to what they have demonstrated."

But...the ships they designed are not the design we saw in DS9's Trials and Tribblations. Which is THE DESIGN used on TOS from 1966-1969.

So, if you must follow CANON tm then you must comdemn theVektor, Prof Moriarty etc designs as VIOLATIONS OF CANON tm.
Not as long as they're fans doing it for fun, and Paramount isn't using those meshes to replace the existing Enterprise in an official production. Or is the difference between fan projects and real movies too hard to grasp?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2008, 04:35 AM   #378
Vance
Vice Admiral

I am a canon violator.

My TOS ships have gangways.

... this... unit... must... die.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2008, 04:53 AM   #379
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Geez.. now you went and made Vance self-destruct! What a mess....
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2008, 03:43 PM   #380
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

The Stig said:
Personally, I'm surprised that the Big E looks as close to the original as it does. For the vast majority of the viewing public that go see this movie, the new design will be indistinguishable from the old.
That's true, at least from the angle we've seen.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2008, 05:17 PM   #381
Forbin
Admiral

I imagine people like that would also have trouble distinguishing between two women with different color hair, eyes, skin and clothes.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2008, 05:46 PM   #382
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Forbin said:
I imagine people like that would also have trouble distinguishing between two women with different color hair, eyes, skin and clothes.
And you would, of course, be mistaken in so imagining.

Most people pay attention to what matters to them, and are pretty good at making important distinctions in the real world.

The average intelligent, observant and educated person is not, however, terribly conversant with the minor details of images well outside of any frame of reference that matters to them.

Most folks can not quickly tell the difference, for example, between different designs of WW I biplanes in a film or various classes of U.S. Naval destroyers from the WW II time period unless the images are placed side-by-side, attention is drawn to the distinction or they have some direct experience or expertise to bring to bear.

Same with imaginary spaceships from movies that they're interested enough in to watch but not obsessive about.
Old January 29 2008, 06:12 PM   #383
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Heck, I knew a bright, intelligent girl who, when presented with pictures of the Enterprise-E and the Enterprise-D side by side, couldn't see the difference between them. Me, I can't tell the difference between an F-15 and a MIG-whatever. In fact, I only know that the main fighter in use today is an F-22 because Michael Bay was apparently in love with the things, at least if you go by his commentary on Transformers, and I doubt that I'd be able to pick it out of a lineup. Fighters haven't interested me since I was 11, so my knowledge of them is quite low.
Old January 29 2008, 06:37 PM   #384
Kirkunit
Fleet Captain

^ My wife can't understand why I keep building the same model kit over & over. "No, see, this one has an oval that points the other direction. See?" (To be fair, from a casual fan's standpoint, the Enterprises all look pretty similar.)
Old January 29 2008, 07:09 PM   #385
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

You show most people a picture of the 1701-D and they're as likely to identify it as Kirk's ship as Picard's - possibly a little moreso, given Kirk's greater familiarity - if they recognize it as "that Star Trek ship" at all.
Old January 29 2008, 07:40 PM   #386
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

As long as the design has a saucer, two rocket engines in the back, and is sporting the name "Enterprise" that will be more than sufficient for most non-fans to identify it as the new Star Wars ship.
Old January 29 2008, 08:22 PM   #387
Manticore
Rear Admiral

I Grok Spock said:
As long as the design has a saucer, two rocket engines in the back, and is sporting the name "Enterprise" that will be more than sufficient for most non-fans to identify it as the new Star Wars ship.
On that note, I was known as a Star Trek fan in my web design class in college--hardly a bastion of non-nerdliness--and someone mentioned this in relation to a video he wanted to show me. When I watched the video, it turned out to be the Jedi Kid...
Old January 29 2008, 10:12 PM   #388
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I Grok Spock said:
Exactamundo! :thumbsup:
Old January 29 2008, 10:13 PM   #389
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Well, the average viewer couldn't tell the difference between the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise and the USS Ranger, which portrayed the former ship in STIV, despite what those familiar with the ships would see as "obvious differences," so I don't really think this will be a problem outside of Trekkiedom.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2008, 10:14 PM   #390
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I Grok Spock said:
And this is supposed to encourage long time fans to see this thing....why?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote