New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 28 2008, 02:33 AM   #346
ancient
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

A lot (and I mean a lot) of people have mistaken Gabe's ship for the movie Enterprise. It's a tribute to the quality of his rendering/CGI skills.
Old January 28 2008, 04:13 AM   #347
Ptrope
Agitator

trevanian said:
^You base that on what, something from TOS-R? HUTT, you're more pathetic all the time.

Christ, between you and that ANCIENT asshole, I'll be happy to take a vacation from this place.
And with statements like that, you work your way closer to one. Be glad you combined two flames in one post - you can only get warned one for them.

One warning for flaming - any discussions to PM. - Ptrope
Old January 28 2008, 05:41 AM   #348
Data Holmes
Admiral

Ptrope said:
trevanian said:
^You base that on what, something from TOS-R? HUTT, you're more pathetic all the time.

Christ, between you and that ANCIENT asshole, I'll be happy to take a vacation from this place.
And with statements like that, you work your way closer to one. Be glad you combined two flames in one post - you can only get warned one for them.

One warning for flaming - any discussions to PM. - Ptrope
I don't think that was warn worthy to be honest... not sure how ancient feels though.
Old January 28 2008, 05:55 AM   #349
Ptrope
Agitator

As stated, any discussions of the warning go to PMs, not in this thread. Thanks :thumbsup:
Old January 28 2008, 06:02 AM   #350
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

The so-called "Gabe cowl" is reminiscent of the upper and lower Bussard covers on the Galaxy/Nebula nacelles:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...xy-ventral.jpg

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...xy-nacelle.jpg

As usual, you need to cut-n-past those links for them to work.

It seems like the designers might be making a link to that Enterprise too.
Old January 28 2008, 06:29 AM   #351
Data Holmes
Admiral

Ptrope said:
As stated, any discussions of the warning go to PMs, not in this thread. Thanks :thumbsup:
It wasn't a discussion, it was a comment. :thumbsup:
Old January 28 2008, 06:33 AM   #352
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

They shouldn't be making links to any of 'em.

Fer chrissakes, do they actually think we don't know what the ship looked like? That they can actually sell this as "what the ship looked like all along"?

Then again, we've had more than a few sheeple here make that precise case, so nothing'll surprise me at this point...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2008, 06:49 AM   #353
Data Holmes
Admiral

Captain Robert April said:

Fer chrissakes, do they actually think we don't know what the ship looked like? That they can actually sell this as "what the ship looked like all along"?

Then again, we've had more than a few sheeple here make that precise case, so nothing'll surprise me at this point...
It worked for the klingons...
Old January 28 2008, 08:08 AM   #354
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Captain Robert April said:

If the design of the Big E hinders your ability to enjoy the movie, then, as you've stated already, don't spend the coin to see it; however, there's no need to piss in other people's corn flakes if they can look past it and gear up to see it.

Is a sheep someone with an open mind? Then Ba Ba Black Sheep for me then. Is a sheep someone willing to allow these folks make the movie they want and try to enjoy it? Well, a big BAAAAA!

Is someone with his head up his ass about whether or not this film caters to him and his need for minute detail a twit? Oh, yes. Very much so. Very much so.
Old January 28 2008, 08:22 AM   #355
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

100% agreed.
Bahh..indeed.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2008, 09:32 AM   #356
Dr. Drake Ramoray
Commodore

Cary L. Brown said:
Wingsley said:
Starship Polaris said:
The difference being that there's no 23rd century for the movie to be set in, any more than there's an historical Krypton for Kal-El to fall from.

Ergo, there's no more or less restriction on redesigning the fictional 23rd century than there has been in redesigning Krypton every few years since the beginning of "Superman" in the comics - and the reason to do so in both cases is simply to update the property to suit evolving tastes and expectations (as well as to let creative comic book and film artists be artists and designers rather than human photocopiers).

Hmmm... "human photocopiers"...

So why don't these artists and writers simply start with a completely clean sheet of paper, instead of capitalizing on the STAR TREK name?

If you want to see the 2008 Camaro and you don't have time for a 1970 Camaro, then there's nothing wrong with making a NEW TREK with new characters, no Starship Enterprise with "NCC-1701" on the hood, no Jim Kirk, no Spock, etc.
That's the logical trap that's gonna get you labeled a "troublemaker" by the "kewl kids" in here, and get them hitting "report to mod" every time you make a post. Trust me, I know allll about that. There are a half-dozen or so folks in here who'll try ANYTHING to get ME kicked off the BBS. And at least one mod who'll gladly play along. (NOT PTrope, mind you!)

Your logic is inescapable. The argument is "we don't want to be tied down to what's been done before" but the other half of the argument is "we need it to be what came before to get people to come."

It's a classic "bait and switch" argument. The basis of this argument is "you get the people to start watching by fooling them into thinking they're going to see something that they know, then once they've paid to see it, you give them what YOU want to give them, not what they're expecting."

It's about ego ("we can do it better") but also about deceit ("they won't come to see it if I call it something new, so I'll trick them into coming by telling them it's something old. Once I've got their money, they'll have no choice but to sit through it. And since my idea is so much better than the original, they'll decide that my IMPROVEMENTS should replace that old, stale version that they remember.")

Most of what I've seen for this film... script, casting, etc... has been promising. But this uncalled-for ship redesign has put a bad taste into my mouth, and taken what's been a pretty positive perspective on the show overall and turned it into a more cautious one. I'm not sure about anything now.

I know that there are folks who'll argue that it's not important. The answer to them is "so why change it?" There will be other folks who hate the original and want it changed. The answer to them is "so why call it the Enterprise at all?"

Ultimately, this is going to result in the new movie being treated much like the "Lost in Space" movie... as a separate piece. Except in the case of Lost in Space, both the TV show and the movie were abortions. In this case, the TV show is a classic, and we don't know WHAT the movie will be like. But it will inevitably cause a split in the mythos... fans arguing forever after about "which continuity" we're talking about... people choosing sides and fighting. Flame wars, etc.

It's pointless, counterproductive, and ultimately destructive. It may not mean that the film will be a success or a failure, but it will very likely put the final nails into the coffin of classic Trek fandom.

There are those who post here who'll take HUGE pleasure in that, too... and we know who they are.
Hey! Lost in Space was a great movie! You take that back!
Dr. Drake Ramoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2008, 12:14 PM   #357
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Aegis said:
HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!!

Dark Horizons

Story on the Dark Horizons website....and a Small picture of the ship!
This thing pops up once a week as the new design. Maybe Gabe should change the ships name to U.S.S. Not-In-The-Movie on his pictures, so that the last one gets it.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2008, 12:22 PM   #358
Eternality
Lieutenant Commander

Sean_McCormick said:
Aegis said:
HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!!

Dark Horizons

Story on the Dark Horizons website....and a Small picture of the ship!
This thing pops up once a week as the new design. Maybe Gabe should change the ships name to U.S.S. Not-In-The-Movie on his pictures, so that the last one gets it.
Or the aptly named U.S.S. Not Appearing In This Film.
Old January 28 2008, 02:29 PM   #359
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Is someone with his head up his ass about whether or not this film caters to him and his need for minute detail a twit? Oh, yes. Very much so. Very much so.

In fairness, it is reasonable for someone to complain that something does not appeal to his tastes. That is exactly the thing he is most qualified to comment on -- his own tastes. It is then up to others to decide on appropriate evidence whether they have similar tastes.

The question of whether this design matches the original is multifaceted. Some will complain because they embrace the interconnected "canon" that renders Trek some kind of big story. Some will complain that they will miss seeing on the big screen an artistic vision and sense of style that they enjoyed on TV. I could care less about "canon" but love Matt Jefferies' art, so I will miss seeing it. But I will also be the first to say a well-conceived story that is served by an altered artistic vision will be well worth seeing.

At this point however, none of this can be determined.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2008, 03:15 PM   #360
Manticore
Rear Admiral

aridas sofia said:

In fairness, it is reasonable for someone to complain that something does not appeal to his tastes. That is exactly the thing he is most qualified to comment on -- his own tastes. It is then up to others to decide on appropriate evidence whether they have similar tastes.
I won't argue that he has a right to his opinion, but calling people 'sheep' because they aren't willing to think the design is terrible isn't I think.