Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 26 2008, 10:43 PM   #316
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Man, I would have loved it if the E was based on FJ's. The rage from some quarters here would be great fun to watch
Old January 27 2008, 12:05 AM   #317
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I'll save my rant on how the ranks of Star Trek fandom seems to have become overwhelmingly populated by sheep over the past decade and simply present a little compare-and-contrast pics.

Being generous, let's assume that the primary hull on the new version is the same thickness as the original ship...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/C...ro-same-siz.jpg

...and if what I suspect is the case and that sucker is four decks thick at the rim...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/C...ro-apparent.jpg

Let's get back to critiquing this travesty, and save the bashing of the abominible movie itself for more appropriate venues, 'kay?

Oversize images converted to links to reduce page stretching - Ptrope
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 12:22 AM   #318
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I VOW to find all page-stretchers and kick them in the balls.
Old January 27 2008, 12:37 AM   #319
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Wouldn't you be kicking them in the oblate spheroids? Or 'the pears?'
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 12:45 AM   #320
Arlo
Fleet Captain

I think it premature to gauge the rim height based on the teaser. Some people see 6 decks, some 4, some 3...

Personally I suspect it's just greebles to make the shot look purdy, but what do I know. We'll know in a year when the Trek XI Tech Manual comes out
Old January 27 2008, 01:06 AM   #321
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That visual isn't at all persuasive - a lot of guesswork based on just about nothing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 01:32 AM   #322
Sean_McCormick
Captain

You all are aware that that drawing is highly speculative and might look very different than the actual ship shown. The secondary hull and it's connection to the saucer have never been shown in the teaser and so are probably assumed here to be similar to the TMP-version (including the torps).

And many inconsistencies can be clearly seen. The nacelles miss the gabe-cowls and the intercoolers look different than shown in the teaser.
The nacelle support pylon is briefly glimpsed on the screen and to me looked not angeled back like shown in that sketch but straight like the original.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 04:45 AM   #323
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sean_McCormick said:
...that drawing is highly speculative and might look very different than the actual ship shown.

I think we can depend upon that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 07:30 AM   #324
Phantassm
Vice Admiral

Vance said:
HuH? Please expand on that...
Simple, the classic Enterprise is the single most recognized icon of all science-fiction. Only the Death Star even comes close. That's why I've always advocated a much more subtle approach to changing the old girl - the more removed from the design you get, the more unhappy fans and casual fans will be.

It was allowed in TMP because it was 'a whole new Enterprise' and was written that way. The update had a story-driven excuse.
...That-makes-no-sense-at-all.
Old January 27 2008, 04:57 PM   #325
Holytomato
Fleet Captain

I love the size analysis pic.

The possible Star Trek XI design is very close to how the Enterprise looks in the Matt Jefferies sketchbook.

Just As Originally Intended tm. :thumbsup:
Holytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 05:21 PM   #326
Data Holmes
Admiral

Captain Robert April said:
For those who argue that argue that we might be looking at some sort of pressurized spacedock, which for some unfathomable reason has been done in a steampunk motif, forget it. Robert Orci has already confirmed that they're building the ship on the ground, in San Francisco itself, and provided some halfassed rationalizations for why they have to do so much of the work on the ground.

As for those comparison pics, I've got a couple worked up, but I'm having problems uploading them to photobucket.

Should have 'em up shortly.
I don't have my copy handy, but didn't "The Making of Star Trek" make mention that the major hull structures were built on earth in San Fran, then assembled in orbit?
Old January 27 2008, 05:25 PM   #327
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Holytomato said:
I love the size analysis pic.

The possible Star Trek XI design is very close to how the Enterprise looks in the Matt Jefferies sketchbook.

Just As Originally Intended tm. :thumbsup:
It may be good. It may be bad. But it isn't the way he drew it, or intended it to be, no matter how many times you say that it was. A lie many times spoken may fool some fools, but is still just as foolish.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 05:47 PM   #328
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I think he's referring to that mislabled pic in "The Art of Star Trek" that's actually a prelim sketch of the refit from around '77.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 05:56 PM   #329
trevanian
Rear Admiral

WHICH mislabeled pic? My fave screwup isn't in ART, but in the PHASE II book, where they have a piece of final vger TMP artwork (pretty much what you see in the DE) described as an early discarded concept.

and HUTT, the bible stuff mentioning things being built dirtside could mean 'the doors' for all we know. Certainly you don't fabricate and assemble huge components at the base of a gravity well and then figure out how to haul them, not for a ship that can't land on a planet, which the bible more famously states.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2008, 08:04 PM   #330
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris said:
Sean_McCormick said:
...that drawing is highly speculative and might look very different than the actual ship shown.

I think we can depend upon that.
considering that the nacelle 'hoods' are of a clearly different shape (much closer to longer, smooother Gabe-cowls than what we see here) and the 'ribbing' that Bernd depicts on his drawing looks more like the highlights from the worklights along the nacelles than an actual structure, it's already obviously quite inaccurate.

Considering that we have yet to see the back of the ship or the secondary hull (or, for that matter, the neck in any great detail), I think that it'd be wise to hold off on the 'travesty' bit. If there's antennae sprouting all over the hull in various spots and the proportions are noticeably different, then I'll probably join in you dissing the design. But it looks like the ship's continuing in the general Star Trek vein of mostly smooth hulls, and the structures that we can see are largely the same proportionally, so I'm going to hold off for a bit.