Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 15 2008, 05:54 PM   #1
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

21st Century System ship

I decided not the let my lack of computer software deter me from putting my design idea down on paper so to speak so just went ahead and did with paint. So here it is, my design for a 21st century ship used to travel within a star system.

The Laser system and missile system are not battle offensive weapons but are instead used for pushing asteroids out of harms way.

The ship is nuclear powered but the thrusters are powered with liquid fuel, the ring shaped buzzard ramscoop is used for collecting any hydrogen etc along the way to slow down the speed of fuel depletion.

Thoughts? comments?
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Kirkunit
Fleet Captain

Re: 21st Century System ship

I'm going to apologize in advance, but if you were a girl, I'd suggest getting a boyfriend. (And maybe removing the "cockpit" annotation.)

I do see where you're going with this, though. Obviously, this is a primitive arrangement of the technology we're used to seeing. Question: if the ramscoops are in the rear, how are they supposed to scoop anything?
Old February 15 2008, 06:33 PM   #3
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Kirkunit said:
Question: if the ramscoops are in the rear, how are they supposed to scoop anything?
The ramscoop is on the 'side' of the vehicle and is raised from the hull section, the scooped gases are then processed and used in the thrusters, I forgot to show it on the front view (oops) and I assure you, this ship design has no connection to a dildo.
Old February 15 2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Kirkunit
Fleet Captain

^ Hmm. That's not very apparent in your drawings. When I look at your front view, I don't see any protruding geometry to suggest forward-facing scoop features. Maybe the drawings aren't high enough resolution to see the details...
Old February 15 2008, 06:42 PM   #5
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Kirkunit said:
^ Hmm. That's not very apparent in your drawings. When I look at your front view, I don't see any protruding geometry to suggest forward-facing scoop features. Maybe the drawings aren't high enough resolution to see the details...
Fire said:
I forgot to show it on the front view (oops)
Old February 15 2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Kirkunit said:
I'm going to apologize in advance, but if you were a girl, I'd suggest getting a boyfriend. (And maybe removing the "cockpit" annotation.)

I do see where you're going with this, though. Obviously, this is a primitive arrangement of the technology we're used to seeing. Question: if the ramscoops are in the rear, how are they supposed to scoop anything?
I'm glad you said that... I was having a really difficult time holding back.

Actually, the general idea of a cylindrical space vessel is entirely sound (though there's no advantage I can see to the slight "taper" which is present.

There's a lot more to consider re: this concept.

(1) Is this ship planetfall-capable or purely space-borne?

(2) What hardware do you NEED for it to do the job it's doing? (this seems to have been considered, but might justify some additional consideration, too).

(3) How is it going to be built?

(4) What's the purpose for things being where they are, and attached how they are?

I think this could bear some further "refinement" but overall it's a good starting point. But like was mentioned above, it might be a good idea to remove the overtly "phallic" appearance... otherwise, it's going to draw a lot more chuckles...
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2008, 06:53 PM   #7
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Cary L. Brown said:
I think this could bear some further "refinement" but overall it's a good starting point. But like was mentioned above, it might be a good idea to remove the overtly "phallic" appearance... otherwise, it's going to draw a lot more chuckles...
the shape of the vessel is the most important aspect of it so I couldnt possibly change it . Anyway, i'm hoping to soon buy some proper 3d rendering software so will hopefully make a proper 3d model of it.
Old February 15 2008, 09:03 PM   #8
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Very Freudian.
Old February 15 2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Kirkunit
Fleet Captain

Fire said:the shape of the vessel is the most important aspect of it so I couldnt possibly change it
Obviously, it's your design & you can do what you want. But take some advice from a professional industrial designer: don't become so enamored with your design that you can't change it. Every poster here has said the same thing about the shape. We can't all be wrong...
Old February 15 2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Vance
Vice Admiral

Dude.. it's a dildo, completely with 'dial speed' control. Why is this shape so important? It's definitely not a lander, nor is it a one-use rocket... so...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2008, 12:34 AM   #11
ancient
Vice Admiral

And thus, the cold war came to an end.
Old February 16 2008, 01:01 AM   #12
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Poor Fire; I bet you didn't expect this thread to turn into an Austin Powers routine.
Old February 16 2008, 02:27 AM   #13
ThomastheCat
Captain

View ThomastheCat's Twitter Profile

I feel your pain, Fire... Having done a lot of art for the Honor Harrington Universe I've heard my fair share of "OMG PENIS SHIP!!!1!!"

Anyway, I'm a fan of minimal "form follows function" designs which seems to be the vibe you're going for. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more.
Old February 16 2008, 03:05 AM   #14
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Well, I designed something for my (now prior) job... a big fuel booster pump for the Airbus A-380. It was massive, long and cylindrical... and one of my peers nicknamed it the "penis pump" (a name I wasn't all that happy with!).

But this one... if it were only chrome-plated, I KNOW my last girlfriend had that very model! It's impossible for me to take it seriously as a result.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2008, 04:29 AM   #15
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Well before the space shuttle, all space faring vessels were rather phalic in appearence. I recall at one time, the United States and Russia were in competition to be the first one to put a penis on the moon.