Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 17 2008, 10:42 PM   #121
RedSpar
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RedSpar
Re: Enterprise Pic

The more I look at those engines the more I am convinced it is a Gabe or Gabe inspired design. There is definitely a 'hood' or bulge above the bussards.
Old January 17 2008, 10:44 PM   #122
davejames
Vice Admiral

RedSpar said:
I washed the pic thru a few photoshop filters to make it much easier to see the details.

look here: http://www.redspar.com/trek/new-e.jpg
Wow, thanks!

I gotta say, except for the lack of phaser turrets the saucer looks almost identical to the one on the refit. Those turbines sure do look like they mean business though.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 10:45 PM   #123
datas_cat_spot
Captain

Am I the only one who kinda doesn't want domes covering up the front of the nacelles?
Old January 17 2008, 10:46 PM   #124
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

On the subject of the Earth-based construction :

From The Making of Star Trek : Stephen Whitfield & Gene Roddenberry

Pg.171

The unit components were built at the San Fransisco Navy Yards and the vessel was assembled in space. The Enterprise is not designed to enter the atmosphere of a planet and never lands on a planet surface.
Of course, books are not canon. And I'm not too concerned about canon either.

But there you go
Old January 17 2008, 10:50 PM   #125
Cranston
Commander

FleetLord said:
Again, perhaps new stonger antigrav technology or sometype of new tractor beam exists to lift the Conny to a spacedock to complete construction 80-90 years after 'Enterprise'. Or other ships just pull it up there like we have helicopters carry things today.
Hell, maybe by this time they have big industrial transporters to just beam the thing into orbit.

--Zeus, Odyssey I: 32-34
Cranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 10:54 PM   #126
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

This is slighty off topic -- but I visted the 'startrek.com' message board for a moment to see what they are saying about this picture. All I can say is that after reading a few posts there, I quicky made my way back here -- to the ADULT TABLE.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 10:55 PM   #127
Tom
Rear Admiral

Here is columbia under construction (from trekcore.com):

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 10:57 PM   #128
Tom
Rear Admiral

Jackson_Roykirk said:
This is slighty off topic -- but I visted the 'startrek.com' message board for a moment to see what they are saying about this picture. All I can say is that after reading a few posts there, I quicky made my way back here -- to the ADULT TABLE.
Well that board is the wild wild west of trek forums now it's totaly unmoderated.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 10:58 PM   #129
scotthm
Rear Admiral

TrekkieMonster said:
As to the comments about it looking like Gabe's model, I agree where the coloring is concerned, but that's about it. Otherwise, what I'm seeing here looks much closer to the original series model than Gabe's significant reimagined version.
And it looks just the opposite to me.

The front of the nacelles looks almost identical to Koerner's design, and the upper saucer is dramatically different from the TOS Enterprise.

I'll have to reserve judgment until I see the whole thing, but since I don't particularly like Koerner's Enterprise (other than the rotating 'collectors' on the front of the nacelles), I expect this design will have to grow on me.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 10:58 PM   #130
Mantyclause
Rear Admiral

davejames said:
RedSpar said:
I washed the pic thru a few photoshop filters to make it much easier to see the details.

look here: http://www.redspar.com/trek/new-e.jpg
Wow, thanks!

I gotta say, except for the lack of phaser turrets the saucer looks almost identical to the one on the refit. Those turbines sure do look like they mean business though.
There's a bit of an extra step between the superstructure and the rest of the saucer though, which IIRC is unique amongst the main interpretations of the design.
Old January 17 2008, 10:59 PM   #131
datas_cat_spot
Captain

I hate the ST.com boards.

Anyway, in the book "A Flag Full of Stars", the Enterprise refit of the Saucer takes place on Earth and the bloody thing just takes off by itself. Pretty crazy. I remember looking at the cover like, what the hell? The pic depicts only the saucer flying through space, it threw me off.
Old January 17 2008, 11:02 PM   #132
Dale
Vice Admiral

So what do we think... do the nacelles get a translucent "cap" upon completion or is the familiar glow some sort of energy wash that occurs when they start spinning?

I am so happy to have some real meat to chew on! Can't wait to see the teaser!
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 11:09 PM   #133
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Well, what are the bussard collectors? They're GAS collectors... and the gas is extremely hot (and thus radiating light) as it's compressed during collection, right?

Imagine, if you will, orange-red swirling FLAME in that cavity... not just a few whispy flames but the entire hemispherical volume just FILLED with brilliant, swirling, fire.

(what we see as "Fire," after all, is just hot gas coming off as a combustion product, remember)
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 11:13 PM   #134
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

FleetLord said:
Here is columbia under construction (from trekcore.com):

Well, this isn't as far removed as you might thing.

The entire structural framework is present, and the nacelles aren't being built in-place... they were built separately and are being ASSEMBLED to the rest of the ship in that image.

We know that external hull plating on the NX-01 can be removed for access to subsystems located underneath them (proven when they had to get rid of the Romulan mine).

I suspect that the INTENTION is what you're saying, at least in part (the nacelles were built elsewhere, I think that's obvious!) But it's by no means conclusive.

And in cases where "Enterprise" and "Star Trek" are in disagreement, I go with the original every time."
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 11:14 PM   #135
section9
Commander

They get a cap. The turbines are meant to give the layman some idea of the inner workings of the engine systems. It also gives the nacelles a more "muscular" look.