Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 17 2008, 09:39 PM   #91
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: Enterprise Pic

Vektor said:
Well, my first impression is pretty good. Definitely some differences from the classic design. The nacelles look absolutely freakin’ huge in proportion to the saucer, though I think at least some of that is due to the focal length of the “camera.” In fact, the nacelles look more like airliner jet engines, probably where the “aircraft-like” reference came from. I wonder if we’re seeing the actual nacelles or if there is something covering them. Almost none of the familiar details seem to be there except a hint of the intercooler fins at the back. The spiral bussard blades are interesting. I’m guessing we’re seeing the guts before the domes are installed.

The whole bridge area is different. The bridge itself seems to have gotten bigger, possibly high-ceilinged or even multi-story, while the B/C deck teardrop has also expanded but gotten shorter.

I wouldn’t read too much into the color of the hull. I think it’s getting most of its tint from the bluish sky and the blue-white work lights. In normal light, it could be anything from pure white to gray or greenish blue. Although the paneling detail is clearly visible, it doesn’t appear to be an actual pattern like the so-called “aztecing” on the TMP refit. The font is also clearly different, more like the refit than the original.

So far, I’m impressed, though I’m bothered by the warp engines. If they’re really that big, I think the proportions of the ship are going to be radically different than we are used to.
Ah, but remember we're seeing only a TINY portion of the primary hull there... if this image takes up the whole screen, then the primary hull would take up two screen widths or so.

The nacelles... at least in the area that clearly has a "skin" on it, near the bussards... seems to me to be about the right size, actually.

Bear in mind, also (not that you need reminded of this, I'm saying to EVERYONE) that what we're seeing here is a teaser, intended to garner interest in NON-TREK-FANS, for a film that's nearly a year away from release.

This sequence almost certainly wont' be seen on-screen... and may end up having little to do with what's eventually seen. Not saying it WON'T... just that we don't know that what we see in a year might not be dramatically revised.

I LOVE this trailer... it does what it needs to do... draws the audience in with a lot of interesting stuff, gets them excited... THEN tells them "oh yeah, by the way, THIS IS STAR TREK!"
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:41 PM   #92
Arlo
Fleet Captain

MisterPL said:
Well I guess I'm gonna have to be the first one to call shenanigans. As big as this set is, it should show up on Google™ Earth. Not surprisingly, I couldn't find it anywhere on the Paramount lot. I'm thinking this is fake.

But it's still very entertaining.
I really hope this is deadpan sarcasm.
Old January 17 2008, 09:41 PM   #93
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Are they building the ship on the "Aliens" homeworld? the atmosphere is really dark. I thought it would on a bright clear day in San Franciso.

Love the picture, the huge jet engines are great
Old January 17 2008, 09:44 PM   #94
Tom
Rear Admiral

I can see it now, the Enterprise vs. Trek XI continuty argument as to why the NX enterprise (and Columbia) was built in a space dock and the movie Ent built on Earth. I'm sure ther are a ton of reason they can explain it.
Old January 17 2008, 09:45 PM   #95
Plum
Rear Admiral

Vektor said:
<SNIP!>
About the nacelles. You're not thinking they are curving inward are you? As far as I can tell, they are the same dome shaped fans but lack the actual dome, nor i there any back lighting. I think this creating a difficult optical effect.

The 'airplane' comment from the description of the trailer, and some comments I've read here, make me wonder if that's what people are seeing. I can certainly see that, I had to look carefully to understand.
Old January 17 2008, 09:46 PM   #96
ancient
Vice Admiral

I think the engine size is a trick of perspective. We almost never see the ENT this close up.
Old January 17 2008, 09:47 PM   #97
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

FleetLord said:
I can see it now, the Enterprise vs. Trek XI continuty argument as to why the NX enterprise (and Columbia) was built in a space dock and the movie Ent built on Earth. I'm sure ther are a ton of reason they can explain it.
Well we don't know that - all we know was she got her finishing touches in Spacedock. For all we know the NX-01's main hull was made on Earth.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:49 PM   #98
Tom
Rear Admiral

Kinda gives new meaning to this old fan favorite pic:

Old January 17 2008, 09:52 PM   #99
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Sharr Khan said:

Well we don't know that - all we know was she got her finishing touches in Spacedock. For all we know the NX-01's main hull was made on Earth.

Sharr
I can live with that

Built on earth, then moved into space for final preparations
Old January 17 2008, 09:53 PM   #100
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

FleetLord said:
Kinda gives new meaning to this old fan favorite pic:

I was thinking of that very picture when I saw the new one.

As for the "new" E....I'm diggin' it.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:53 PM   #101
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

FleetLord said:I can see it now, the Enterprise vs. Trek XI continuty argument as to why the NX enterprise (and Columbia) was built in a space dock and the movie Ent built on Earth. I'm sure ther are a ton of reason they can explain it.
Who said that every part of the NX-01 was built in space? All we know is that, like the 1701(r), we see the final touches being applied in space. I don't recall anyplace in that series that stated that the nacelles were built from scratch in orbit, or that the main bulk of the saucer may not have been built planetside and lifted into orbit. We only know, really, that when Archer and Trip were flying around the ship before launch day, when it was nearly completed, it was in space.

That's not really evidence of anything.
Old January 17 2008, 09:54 PM   #102
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

MisterPL said:
Well I guess I'm gonna have to be the first one to call shenanigans. As big as this set is, it should show up on Google™ Earth. Not surprisingly, I couldn't find it anywhere on the Paramount lot. I'm thinking this is fake.

Ahhhh hope ur kidding there chief.
Old January 17 2008, 09:56 PM   #103
Mordock
Commander

This looks really cool. Unless the rest of the ship looks like the back end of a Prius, Messrs. Church and Eaves seem to have put a handsome spin on the design.

-Abraham Lincoln
Mordock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:56 PM   #104
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Plum said:
Vektor said:
<SNIP!>
About the nacelles. You're not thinking they are curving inward are you? As far as I can tell, they are the same dome shaped fans but lack the actual dome, nor i there any back lighting. I think this creating a difficult optical effect.

The 'airplane' comment from the description of the trailer, and some comments I've read here, make me wonder if that's what people are seeing. I can certainly see that, I had to look carefully to understand.
Plum -- I agree. Are we the only ones seeing the domed-nacelle covers? Like I said before, they are dark in that photo. Once they are lit, it will be easier to see the dome covering the moving "blades".

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:56 PM   #105
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Alpha Romeo said:
MisterPL said:

Ahhhh hope ur kidding there chief.
Nah, it's right there on the PPC backlot, right next to the giant Cow Buddha statue.

(See, >I< GET the "call shenanigans" reference... )