Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 17 2008, 08:55 PM   #76
Plum
Rear Admiral

Re: Enterprise Pic

^^^
Hmmm, it' very different imho. However... the LIGHTING is similar. Lots of blue. I think it's just hitting peoples brains as sorta the same due to that. Just a random thought here.
Old January 17 2008, 08:57 PM   #77
AudioBridge
Captain

Can anyone tell what those slits are below the bridge dome? Are they windows, or unfinished portions of the hull?
AudioBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:00 PM   #78
22 Stars
Commodore

Plum said:
^^^
Hmmm, it' very different imho. However... the LIGHTING is similar. Lots of blue. I think it's just hitting peoples brains as sorta the same due to that. Just a random thought here.
Ya, the blue lighting is def. evocative of Gabe's tests, but the shape of the nacelle fronts also makes me curious. That's the only model I remember that shared the flared fronts, but I'm just happy to see some new official images!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:02 PM   #79
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

I like the look of the engines.

If you take this picture and run it through a simple image processing program turn up the brightness. The ship is very reminicent of the Motion Picture Starship. The engine nacells are fat like aircraft turbines and the intercoolers look like they are made into the engine as one peace.It will be interesting to see more.I am a purist with an open mind but I wonder........
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:04 PM   #80
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I think she looks awesome! I look forward to seeing more of the Big-E. Way to go, JJ!!!

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:04 PM   #81
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Now, is Earth the backdrop to this shot... or is this supposed to look like it's taking place on the surface. And if on the surface, is it a funny little in-joke from Abrams to the fans, as in: Yeah, yeah, I'm building your Enterprise right here!?
Old January 17 2008, 09:07 PM   #82
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Those are some big-ass engines. :thumbsup:
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:08 PM   #83
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
Uh, well... there's a thread that describes the whole trailer. Don't wanna post anything spoilery here.
Old January 17 2008, 09:17 PM   #84
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

A damn fine ship.

"I've already got a female to worry about, her name's the Enterprise." (James T. Kirk)
Old January 17 2008, 09:21 PM   #85
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Yeah. This looks awesome. Turns out they know what they're doing! Didn't see that coming
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:22 PM   #86
shatastrophic
Commander

I'm a purist, and i love it. it gets me excited, waiting throughout this year for the movie to come out is gonna take forever. As a purist, i didn't want it to be a design that was completely different. This pic shows that it isn't and i am completely happy and satisfied. I think Gene would be happy about his pic and design. Lets see how the story turns out. Long live star trek!!
Old January 17 2008, 09:23 PM   #87
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Kegek said:

Cary L. Brown said:
The nacelle front-ends look very much like you might imagine the insides of the original TOS ones might look like, I think.
I don't know... those nacelles look complete to me.

On the scientific judgement of my gut. We'll see, though...
I think once Scotty throws the switch to turn on the orange lights in the nacelle caps, they will look complete.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:29 PM   #88
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Well, my first impression is pretty good. Definitely some differences from the classic design. The nacelles look absolutely freakin’ huge in proportion to the saucer, though I think at least some of that is due to the focal length of the “camera.” In fact, the nacelles look more like airliner jet engines, probably where the “aircraft-like” reference came from. I wonder if we’re seeing the actual nacelles or if there is something covering them. Almost none of the familiar details seem to be there except a hint of the intercooler fins at the back. The spiral bussard blades are interesting. I’m guessing we’re seeing the guts before the domes are installed.

The whole bridge area is different. The bridge itself seems to have gotten bigger, possibly high-ceilinged or even multi-story, while the B/C deck teardrop has also expanded but gotten shorter.

I wouldn’t read too much into the color of the hull. I think it’s getting most of its tint from the bluish sky and the blue-white work lights. In normal light, it could be anything from pure white to gray or greenish blue. Although the paneling detail is clearly visible, it doesn’t appear to be an actual pattern like the so-called “aztecing” on the TMP refit. The font is also clearly different, more like the refit than the original.

So far, I’m impressed, though I’m bothered by the warp engines. If they’re really that big, I think the proportions of the ship are going to be radically different than we are used to.
Old January 17 2008, 09:37 PM   #89
Barbados Slim
Rear Admiral

I don't give a rat's ass about the details. All I know is I got an emotional reaction to seeing the Enterprise for the first time in ages.
Barbados Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 09:37 PM   #90
MisterPL
Commander

Well I guess I'm gonna have to be the first one to call shenanigans. As big as this set is, it should show up on Google™ Earth. Not surprisingly, I couldn't find it anywhere on the Paramount lot. I'm thinking this is fake.

But it's still very entertaining.