RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Posts: 5,359,700
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 500
Newest member: DasGeneral


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 22 2008, 05:08 AM   #406
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral
 
the_wildcard's Avatar
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Enterprise Pic

jon1701 said:
Bigger Version



I like the look of the engines.
I second that!
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 05:15 AM   #407
Woulfe
Commodore
 
Woulfe's Avatar
 
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun
Re: Enterprise Pic




Big Honkin' Engines !

Kirk : Scotty, Let's see if this baby will go warp 12 !

~ Go Greased Lighting, Go Grease Lightning ~

- W -
* I'm sorry, a moment of weekness, it'll pass *
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 06:13 AM   #408
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Enterprise Pic

ST-One said:
trevanian said:
The Enterprise in this pic looks like concept art, or a frame from an animatic. l honest to Christ can't figure out why concept art-level work has got so many people excited. If this is actually a final, then it says something about how little visual credibility means to filmgoers. (Unless maybe it looks better in motion? Guess I'll look for the trailer in a couple days and see what the high rez version plays like. Expectation is now low enough that I probably won't spit at the monitor.)
Now, after seeing the HD-teaser, do you still say this looks like an animatic?
I thought the still looked like concept art and wondered if in motion it would look like an animatic; in motion, this looks like a mediocre fx shot more than it looks like an animatic. I guess that is an improvement, but not much IMO.

As usual, I got no clue what you folks are happy about visually. But hey, this is like the Daniel Craig/Casino Royale thing; folks can lap that up all they want, while I will be happy with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and LICENCE TO KILL. I'll be content with pre-tampered-with TOS eps and TMP and TWOK and TFF.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 06:54 AM   #409
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Enterprise Pic

The art designer should win an an academy award for not changing anything.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 08:41 AM   #410
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Enterprise Pic

trevanian said:
I thought the still looked like concept art and wondered if in motion it would look like an animatic; in motion, this looks like a mediocre fx shot more than it looks like an animatic. I guess that is an improvement, but not much IMO.

I expected as much...
Could you at least once set aside you hatred for CGI and view a great CG-animation such as this trailer from an objective point of view?
It isn't perfect (the far to thin hull plates) but I challenge you to show me any model-shot from any Star Trek-film or -show that matches the complexety and (industrial) beauty of this one.

trevanian said:
As usual, I got no clue what you folks are happy about visually. But hey, this is like the Daniel Craig/Casino Royale thing; folks can lap that up all they want, while I will be happy with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and LICENCE TO KILL. I'll be content with pre-tampered-with TOS eps and TMP and TWOK and TFF.
The ONLY real Bond was Roger Moore!
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 10:23 AM   #411
starburst
Fleet Captain
 
starburst's Avatar
 
Re: Enterprise Pic

Roger Moore....your having a laugh aint ya!

Best 3 Bonds; Connery, Brosnon and Craig...but not in that order (and it depends on film)

Personally I love the new Bond film same as the new Batman...so I have high hopes the new Star Trek will be just the same, think about it before Batman Begins a Batman film would have been a deffinate mainstream no go.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 02:26 PM   #412
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Enterprise Pic

ST-One said:
trevanian said:
I thought the still looked like concept art and wondered if in motion it would look like an animatic; in motion, this looks like a mediocre fx shot more than it looks like an animatic. I guess that is an improvement, but not much IMO.

I expected as much...
Could you at least once set aside you hatred for CGI and view a great CG-animation such as this trailer from an objective point of view?
It isn't perfect (the far to thin hull plates) but I challenge you to show me any model-shot from any Star Trek-film or -show that matches the complexety and (industrial) beauty of this one.

It isn't hatred, as I've indicated time and again. I though the spaceship stuff in SOLARIS was incredible, and there are bits in SPACE COWBOYS that looks almost as good as that film's incredible miniature work. If you hold to those as high standards, then this stuff isn't even comparable. And as much as I hate the flick, EVENT HORIZON's model work (85 percent anyway) is damned near perfect.

Best vfx in a trek movie? ... maybe the nacelle-scraper as they leave drydock in TMP. I don't usually like super wide lenses cuz there is too much distortion, but on that shot it works.

Industrial beauty? That's what the whole drydock sequence in TMP is about anyway. Very few trek shots show people on the hull outside of TMP (gen, there's a matte painting of the downed -d that looks kinda okay, but that is done in TOUGH circumstances, daylight, as opposed to some sort of eclipse or night murk like this trailer.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 02:39 PM   #413
starburst
Fleet Captain
 
starburst's Avatar
 
Re: Enterprise Pic

Thing is this is a teaser with footage that (likely) isnt going to be in the final film, so they wont have put as much work into these shots as the should be doing when it comes to what we will see in 11 months time.

I miss models too, always loved seeing photos of the various Trek minatures...but things change and you can do some things with a CG one that you cant with a physical (and vice a versa) so as long as they put the work in its going to look better than a model can.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 02:39 PM   #414
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Enterprise Pic

trevanian said:
If you hold to those as high standards, then this stuff isn't even comparable.
Then, please, explain why 'this stuff' isn't comparable.

trevanian said:
Best vfx in a trek movie? ... maybe the nacelle-scraper as they leave drydock in TMP. I don't usually like super wide lenses cuz there is too much distortion, but on that shot it works.
Yes, as great as the VFX-shots in TMP are they not nearly as complex as these...
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 02:42 PM   #415
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Enterprise Pic

starburst said:
Thing is this is a teaser with footage that (likely) isnt going to be in the final film, so they wont have put as much work into these shots as the should be doing when it comes to what we will see in 11 months time.

I miss models too, always loved seeing photos of the various Trek minatures...but things change and you can do some things with a CG one that you cant with a physical (and vice a versa) so as long as they put the work in its going to look better than a model can.
Which in this case the CGI is at least equal to a real model.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 02:48 PM   #416
starburst
Fleet Captain
 
starburst's Avatar
 
Re: Enterprise Pic

ST-One said:
starburst said:
Thing is this is a teaser with footage that (likely) isnt going to be in the final film, so they wont have put as much work into these shots as the should be doing when it comes to what we will see in 11 months time.

I miss models too, always loved seeing photos of the various Trek minatures...but things change and you can do some things with a CG one that you cant with a physical (and vice a versa) so as long as they put the work in its going to look better than a model can.
Which in this case the CGI is at least equal to a real model.
Yup, and beautifull it is too

Shame its gonna be months and months (probably) before we see any more
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 03:02 PM   #417
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Enterprise Pic

Woulfe said:

Big Honkin' Engines !

Kirk : Scotty, Let's see if this baby will go warp 12 !

~ Go Greased Lighting, Go Grease Lightning ~

- W -
* I'm sorry, a moment of weekness, it'll pass *
I think it is possible that the engines only look bigger due to Perspective Distortion [clicky]

If the 'virtual' camera was far away from the object, but Zoomed-in close with a telephoto lens, then you would get this affect of things in the backgroud looking abnormally large.

Perspective in that casewould be much differnt than if the 'camera' was placed gight in front of the saucer with no zoom at all...the nacelles would look smaller due to perspective.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 04:33 PM   #418
Woulfe
Commodore
 
Woulfe's Avatar
 
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun
Re: Enterprise Pic

^ I knew that, I was makeing a joke based on other people's observaions of them being huge like.

- W -
* Winks *
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 04:36 PM   #419
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Enterprise Pic

trevanian said:
ST-One said:
trevanian said:
The Enterprise in this pic looks like concept art, or a frame from an animatic. l honest to Christ can't figure out why concept art-level work has got so many people excited. If this is actually a final, then it says something about how little visual credibility means to filmgoers. (Unless maybe it looks better in motion? Guess I'll look for the trailer in a couple days and see what the high rez version plays like. Expectation is now low enough that I probably won't spit at the monitor.)
Now, after seeing the HD-teaser, do you still say this looks like an animatic?
I thought the still looked like concept art and wondered if in motion it would look like an animatic; in motion, this looks like a mediocre fx shot more than it looks like an animatic. I guess that is an improvement, but not much IMO.

As usual, I got no clue what you folks are happy about visually. But hey, this is like the Daniel Craig/Casino Royale thing; folks can lap that up all they want, while I will be happy with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and LICENCE TO KILL. I'll be content with pre-tampered-with TOS eps and TMP and TWOK and TFF.
It look like this teaser had footage filmed JUST for the teaser....but its movie quality FX nevertheless.

"Tampered" with?? How ridiculous...that would assume that TOS, and the original movies had been edited, which they have not. Think with your head....its been 40 years, and we just won't get the same actors in the roles or the same designs. There are few alternatives...if fans want the franchise alive, we'll get a remake, reboot, whatever you want to call it!

And Casino Royale was the best Bond movie in many years!

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 05:27 PM   #420
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Enterprise Pic

Woulfe said:
^ I knew that, I was makeing a joke based on other people's observaions of them being huge like.

- W -

* Winks *
Sorry -- I was looking for one of the "Big Engine Believers" to give a response to, and your post was the first I noticed.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.