Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 18 2008, 05:50 PM   #256
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Re: Enterprise Pic

Franklin said:In the theater I expect to hear:
-- at least one painful groan,
-- a loud rant followed by storming out of the theater,
-- someone breaking down in sobs,
-- a "Fuck you, Abrams," shouted out of nowhere,
-- a cry of, "They HAVE raped my childhood," and
-- Junior Mints thrown at the screen by someone.

While the rest of us enjoy the cinematic beauty of it all.

-- Oh, and someone's cell phone will go off. Always happens.
Faith of the Heart ringtone. Check.

Samurai8472 said:
I know the movie has a larger budget than "Enterprise" and it shows. The first shots of the NX-01 pale in comparison to what can be done on the big screen
Make that a much larger budget but at the end of the day it's just two hours. Enterprise still has some of the best television CGI, even compared to series running today.
Old January 18 2008, 05:58 PM   #257
T'Cal
Commodore

The old girl never looked better. Going to see Cloverfield and the teaser this afternoon!
Old January 18 2008, 06:32 PM   #258
RodneyMcKay
Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK a question...

Why is everyone so sure the construction scenes in the teaser will not be in the movie ? I keep reading this in this thread...

Anyway the picture looks nice and i hope we see more soon.
RodneyMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 06:56 PM   #259
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

I think it's funny that the first pic revealed of the big E is A) under constuction, and B) a shot of the bridge exterior. We're all talking about it, but we still don't know what it looks like yet. Abrams and co. are going to play with us for the next year. This feels like it will be Batman 89 type hype.

Looks good so far. :thumbsup:
Old January 18 2008, 07:02 PM   #260
Mallory

I like it! :thumbsup:
Old January 18 2008, 07:26 PM   #261
Mantiscare
Rear Admiral

Hmm...looking at the pic (which is easy since it's my desktop and I have two monitors ), I wonder if maybe the 'ribs' on the side of the nacelles aren't just the work lights illuminating the hull, with a high decay rate?
Old January 18 2008, 07:32 PM   #262
S'kai
Captain

I like it, I like it !![/drool]

But then I am a ST slut who likes anything Trek, better then NO Trek, though "Enterprise" and the last two movies sorely tested my commitment.

This gives me hope.
Old January 18 2008, 07:37 PM   #263
Doomsday
Lieutenant Commander

All I know is I'd hate to be a seagull sucked into that turbine!

Seriously, though, as a first generation Trekker from the 60's, I am stoked.

Yes it's "updated", I didn't really expect an exact copy of the TOS model.

But it captures the same "feel".

I know it's purely emotional and purely subjective, but the first time I saw the pic I didn't go "yuck".

I just stared slack-jawed at it.

It gave me the same feeling as the first time I saw the refit E in TMP. Updated, but the same overall design and feel.

I'm not bothered by the "beefiness" or "muscular-ness" of it. In fact, I'd hate to be a Romulan or Klingon that came across that thing in a dark alley.

I could definitely see it kicking ass.

I do wonder how they get the thing into orbit.

I recognize that the Making of Star Trek does indicate it was built at the navy yards and then assembled in space.

It just seems inefficient to have to lift that much mass at once into space, having to impart escape velocity to it.

But someone else said that maybe they transport the whole thing using massive transporters or something.

Anyway, I am impressed and can't wait to see her battle the Rommy Ward Bird, which you know she will.
Old January 18 2008, 07:48 PM   #264
theARE
Lieutenant Commander

I've done a wallpaper if anyone wants it
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8d672baef8.jpg
theARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 09:05 PM   #265
Tyson
Fleet Captain

It looks like a tin can.
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 09:18 PM   #266
trevanian
Rear Admiral

ChristopherPike said:
Franklin said:In the theater I expect to hear:
-- at least one painful groan,
-- a loud rant followed by storming out of the theater,
-- someone breaking down in sobs,
-- a "Fuck you, Abrams," shouted out of nowhere,
-- a cry of, "They HAVE raped my childhood," and
-- Junior Mints thrown at the screen by someone.

While the rest of us enjoy the cinematic beauty of it all.

-- Oh, and someone's cell phone will go off. Always happens.
Faith of the Heart ringtone. Check.

Samurai8472 said:
I know the movie has a larger budget than "Enterprise" and it shows. The first shots of the NX-01 pale in comparison to what can be done on the big screen
Make that a much larger budget but at the end of the day it's just two hours. Enterprise still has some of the best television CGI, even compared to series running today.
Overreliance of bad CGI contributed to my giving up on the program. Look at that pathetic library at the beginning of 2nd season ENT and can you even think the word 'best' in association with it?

Best vfx on TV Trek would have been mid ds9, maybe some of the end of TNG, when motion control was really a refined process. Once mediocre CG hit, you started getting more shots, but a lot less quality. Still, it makes audiences get used to the painterly (though for me the word would be 'crap') quality of most CG, as opposed to the more difficult to accomplish photorealistic quality of really good CG (like, say SOLARIS.)

The Enterprise in this pic looks like concept art, or a frame from an animatic. l honest to Christ can't figure out why concept art-level work has got so many people excited. If this is actually a final, then it says something about how little visual credibility means to filmgoers. (Unless maybe it looks better in motion? Guess I'll look for the trailer in a couple days and see what the high rez version plays like. Expectation is now low enough that I probably won't spit at the monitor.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 09:27 PM   #267
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

RodneyMcKay said:
OK a question...

Why is everyone so sure the construction scenes in the teaser will not be in the movie ? I keep reading this in this thread...
I don't think you'll find anyone saying they are sure there won't be a dry dock scene, just that we don't know for sure that there will be a dry dock scene. Teaser footage often does not appear in a final product. And even if we see a dry dock scene on Earth like this, we might not see the same shots and angles, etc.
Old January 18 2008, 09:39 PM   #268
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Cary L. Brown said:
In the gamma-adjusted images, it's clear that these nacelles DO resemble Gabe's. They aren't Gabe's however. The "guts" on the inside of the bussards are totally different, and the topside "window" on his nacelles aren't present.

However, the "hoodie" on the top, over the bussards... that is virtually identical to his work. And since he is the FIRST person I ever saw who did that, I sure hope he gets at least a small credit for that.
I'd like to see that too, but who knows? IIRC, Gabe was commissioned by Paramount to do his ship for the SOL calender, and I'd guess that Paramount owns the rights to Gabe's design (at least as it first appeared in the calender). So the suits may have been well within their rights to hand a copy of Gabe's image to the Trek XI team and say "Make something that resembles this," without Gabe having any knowledge or getting any credit.

Paramount did something similar last year with work that Master Replicas did for their Classic Trek communicator. Baciclly, the company spent major $$ doing R&D for the piece, and Paramount kept the rights to the work MR did. Later, TPTB turned all of MRs molds and research over to a Chinese company so they could produce more-or-less exact copies for a fraction of the cost to sell at Star Trek: The Experience. The folks at MR knew nothing about this, and weren't credited or compensated for their work because Paramount owned the rights to their work.

Not that I'm saying it's exactly like this (and I'm also not comparing Ryan Church's work to a cheap Chinese knock-off.. ); it's just that this sort of thing has been known to happen... I guess we'll get a better idea when we see the rest of the ship.
Old January 18 2008, 09:40 PM   #269
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

FordSVT said:
Teaser footage often does not appear in a final product.
The only one off the top my head is the transformers teaser footage of the mars 2 rover being destroyed(possibly by starscream)
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 09:43 PM   #270
Valar
Rear Admiral

FordSVT said:
Dale Hoppert said:
Methinks you've spent too much time staring at this pic today. That's not a dot after the second C, it's a dark bit of hull plating. And this is a dead-on view of the ship... the seam up the middle of the saucer is centered.

As for the "Where was she built?" controversy... this is not a scene from the movie, It's non-canonical. It's all there just to have the play on words "Under Construction" and it's set on earth so we won't see any spacesuits which would be a dead giveaway that it was a spaceship they're constructing. It's an elaborate visual joke. This teaser is meant for an uninitiated audience who won't even consider such issues as "Why are they building her on the ground?"

This is a good tell for the general look of the redesigned ship, but the "plot" of this teaser reveals nothing about the movie.
While I agree with the overall sentiment, that's all speculation. It may or may not have anything to do with a scene in the movie.

The early TF teaser with the Mars Rover had everyone scratching their heads, and everyone assumed it wouldn't have anything to do with the movie. But it did end up appearing in a limited fashion.

So you might see the E under construction, you might not. Might be in space, might be on the ground. We'll have to see. From the sounds of the trailer description I've read, the camera angles and focus of the trailer doesn't lend itself very well to the actual movie, but that doesn't mean we couldn't see similar construction shots in the movie. It's all anyone's guess.
Robert Orci, one of the writers of the movie, has defended the trailer's depiction of the ship being built on the ground- his posts are at Trekmovie.com. In it he offers the explanation that the Enterprise needed to be constructed on the ground to have the effect of gravity etc "tempering" the metal to withstand the stresses of warp speed, space, etc.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but I don't really give a shit where it's built as long as the rest of the story is good.