Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 18 2008, 04:22 AM   #226
AudioBridge
Captain

Re: Enterprise Pic

Fantastic work, Ancient! Thanks to what you've shown us we can see that this ship is significantly different than the real 1701. Those engines look more like the tailfins off a 1950s Cadillac mixed with a 1960s Stingray corvette. Aside from the fact that they're cylindrical they are drastically different from the engines we know. And the saucer is clearly meant to favor the refit 1701. Sure, this looks kewl, but I'm disappointed. It's not the ship I know, but Abrams crew never intended it to be.

Vektor's "reimagining" of the 1701 is far better, imho.
AudioBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 04:23 AM   #227
Plum
Rear Admiral

zenophite said:
Good Golly, I can see the bowling alley!
Oh, come on. Everyone knows that's under the hanger deck in the engineering module.
Old January 18 2008, 05:01 AM   #228
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

AudioBridge said:
Fantastic work, Ancient! Thanks to what you've shown us we can see that this ship is significantly different than the real 1701. Those engines look more like the tailfins off a 1950s Cadillac mixed with a 1960s Stingray corvette. Aside from the fact that they're cylindrical they are drastically different from the engines we know. And the saucer is clearly meant to favor the refit 1701. Sure, this looks kewl, but I'm disappointed. It's not the ship I know, but Abrams crew never intended it to be.

Vektor's "reimagining" of the 1701 is far better, imho.
At his point, I've seen so many variations on the original--so many Refits, Miradas, Excelsiors, Galaxies, Ambassadors, Sovereigns, Oberths, so many fan-tweaked "refinements" ranging from the subtle (Starship Polaris, Vektor) to the radical (Gabriel Koerner) that the only design that would have floored me, would have caused me to utter a Neonian "whoa!" would have been the original.

This ship? She's nice but...
Old January 18 2008, 05:20 AM   #229
V
Commodore

and so it begins...
Old January 18 2008, 05:22 AM   #230
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Plum said:
zenophite said:
Oh, come on. Everyone knows that's under the hanger deck in the engineering module.
And if there's no bowling alley, I am boycotting this movie!
Old January 18 2008, 05:29 AM   #231
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

middyseafort said:
Plum said:
zenophite said:
And if there's no bowling alley, I am boycotting this movie!
I'm boycotting because the font is different.
Old January 18 2008, 05:29 AM   #232
David cgc
Vice Admiral

It's the same font Franz Joseph used on his Constitution drawings.
Old January 18 2008, 05:41 AM   #233
Manticore
Rear Admiral

TrekkieMonster said:
scotthm said:
TrekkieMonster said:
As to the comments about it looking like Gabe's model, I agree where the coloring is concerned, but that's about it. Otherwise, what I'm seeing here looks much closer to the original series model than Gabe's significant reimagined version.
And it looks just the opposite to me.

The front of the nacelles looks almost identical to Koerner's design, and the upper saucer is dramatically different from the TOS Enterprise.

---------------
I know the conversation has gone well beyone this by now, but after getting home from work and looking at the pic on my own monitor I felt I needed to note that, now, I too can see a definite Gabe influence.

You're all definitely right about the "bulginess" of the forward end of the nacelles, just behind the bussards. Just about identical. Likewise the general shape of the saucer, itself, down to what someone up-thread described as a "step" below the traditional B/C deck teardrop construct.
Actually, the 'steps' are quite different. On Gabe's, it's a difference in the gradiant, but it still flows from the saucer. On the Abramprise, it's at a sharp angle and has a sharper chamfer. Also, it's inset so that it's lying on a flat surface.

The only real similarities that I see to Gabe's version is the nacelle's and the slightly more solid intercooler (though Gabe's doesn't flow into the hull nearly so much). Of course, this is based off of saying maybe 20% of the ship; who knows, the secondary hull might be completely different!

Which is why I'm withholding judgment on the design as a whole, until I see the entire thing. I do admit that I like what I see a good bit--I was half afraid that we'd get an overgreebled Star Wars-like monstrosity, or something like BSG, which works for that show but not Trek IMO--but until we see more of the ship, it's pointless to try and say whether or not we like it or not.
Old January 18 2008, 07:04 AM   #234
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I am suprised they've been so faithful to the saucer section (well, from what we can make out).

I've never liked the proportions of the orginal Enterprise, so I am absolutely *loving* those meaty nacelles.

:thumbsup:
Old January 18 2008, 07:15 AM   #235
Skywalker
Admiral

Looks awesome! :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing the whole thing.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 07:31 AM   #236
Proximity_Phaser
Commander

Where's the sails?

You kids, get off my lawn!
Proximity_Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 08:45 AM   #237
Akiraprise

I'm liking this version quite a bit. I think it's a perfect blend of TMP and TOS ships. Which is what I expected the Trek 11 team to do. I'm not concerned about the font, because I'm sure that was just placed there so the movie audiences had some clue what they were looking at.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 09:26 AM   #238
mada101
Lieutenant Commander

I think it looks a little...well, boring, really. Generic 21st century sci-fi stuff, though I wasn't expecting anything else really. But as long as most people are happy, I guess that's what counts Who's for blue buzzard collectors? I think it would suit the new look nicely.

On another note, I think it's becoming pretty clear now that this is a reboot. The ship in that picture can't really be fitted into the existing timeline prior to TOS.
mada101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 09:34 AM   #239
Saul
Rear Admiral

mada101 said:
I think it looks a little...well, boring, really. Generic 21st century sci-fi stuff, though I wasn't expecting anything else really. But as long as most people are happy, I guess that's what counts Who's for blue buzzard collectors? I think it would suit the new look nicely.

On another note, I think it's becoming pretty clear now that this is a reboot. The ship in that picture can't really be fitted into the existing timeline prior to TOS.
Yes it can, just refit the ship.
Old January 18 2008, 09:48 AM   #240
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Simply gorgeous. I'm in loooooooooooooooove.