Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 18 2008, 03:09 AM   #211
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

Re: Enterprise Pic

scotthm said:
TrekkieMonster said:
As to the comments about it looking like Gabe's model, I agree where the coloring is concerned, but that's about it. Otherwise, what I'm seeing here looks much closer to the original series model than Gabe's significant reimagined version.
And it looks just the opposite to me.

The front of the nacelles looks almost identical to Koerner's design, and the upper saucer is dramatically different from the TOS Enterprise.

---------------
I know the conversation has gone well beyone this by now, but after getting home from work and looking at the pic on my own monitor I felt I needed to note that, now, I too can see a definite Gabe influence.

You're all definitely right about the "bulginess" of the forward end of the nacelles, just behind the bussards. Just about identical. Likewise the general shape of the saucer, itself, down to what someone up-thread described as a "step" below the traditional B/C deck teardrop construct.

However, from this perspective anyway, from this "step" up, it seems much more reminiscent of the TMP refit to me.

Mea culpa.

The only other comment I have is ..., why exactly do people think this is being constructed on a planet's surface? Looks to me like this could just as easily be a shot from Earth orbit.
Old January 18 2008, 03:18 AM   #212
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I just hope to God the con and viewscreen on this bridge face forward and aren't set on an angle.

Looks like the bridge may be more than one deck tall.
Old January 18 2008, 03:18 AM   #213
SeamusShameless
Commander

The synopsis of the teaser says that the ship is being constructed planetside.

Kirk: Young... I feel young.
SeamusShameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 03:29 AM   #214
zenophite
Rear Admiral

thank the Gods they're using modern detail techniques on the ship.
Old January 18 2008, 03:34 AM   #215
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Kadratis said:
Samurai8472 said:
Flake said:
I seriously think the bridge is now huge, look at the opening in the top - it looks like an enormous computer display on the back wall, im not sure what else it could be.
It could be anything really

Dare I say viewscreen?
It's not like they're actually building the insides to this thing, guys. This teaser trailer was conceived and work begun on it before sets were finalized or built. Whatever you can see "inside" on this image is whatever the CG artists and designers thought looked plausible for this shot.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 03:43 AM   #216
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris said:
It's not like they're actually building the insides to this thing, guys. This teaser trailer was conceived and work begun on it before sets were finalized or built. Whatever you can see "inside" on this image is whatever the CG artists and designers thought looked plausible for this shot.
Those CGI guys may still have been familiar with the (finalized?) design sketches for what was to become the bridge, though.

But even assuming that this render is accurate as far as interiors go, I don't think we can see anything interesting.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 03:43 AM   #217
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

I have to say... I am really excited now. And this is coming from an original series fan who is very much willing to keep an open mind. Actually I have already turned the larger version into a wallpaper for my computer.

If anyone else wants it... help yourself. It’s widescreen though.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 03:46 AM   #218
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Beautiful. I'm hearing the ST theme in my head every time I see that pic. I think that may be the emotional high point for me when I go see "Cloverfield".
Old January 18 2008, 03:55 AM   #219
Saul
Rear Admiral

I like what I am seing so far. Sweet.
Old January 18 2008, 03:56 AM   #220
Red Ranger
Admiral

It's both retro yet evocative of the first movie Enterprise. Very interesting blend. -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 03:56 AM   #221
zenophite
Rear Admiral

Good Golly, I can see the bowling alley!
Old January 18 2008, 04:00 AM   #222
Lieutenant

Thanks for posting the links to Gabe's pix, this is the first time I'm seeing them. And I must say, I like it. To me it looks like the perfect blend of old while still keeping it looking like the producers actually HAD a budget and are in the 21st century. Gabe's ship has got bulky older looking nacelles that look wicked, and keeps some of the old school with the deflector dish (which looks just as wicked). I'd love it if the ship in the movie looked just like Gabes.

Edit: clarified
182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 04:09 AM   #223
Phyzzx
Lieutenant

182 said:
Thanks for posting the links to Gabe's pix, this is the first time I'm seeing them. And I must say, I like it. To me it looks like the perfect blend of old while still keeping it looking like the producers actually HAD a budget and are in the 21st century. It's got bulky older looking nacelles that look wicked, and keeps some of the old school with the deflector dish (which looks just as wicked). I'd love it if the ship in the movie looked just like Gabes.
Where'd you see the deflector dish?
Phyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 04:11 AM   #224
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Phyzzx said:
182 said:
Thanks for posting the links to Gabe's pix, this is the first time I'm seeing them. And I must say, I like it. To me it looks like the perfect blend of old while still keeping it looking like the producers actually HAD a budget and are in the 21st century. It's got bulky older looking nacelles that look wicked, and keeps some of the old school with the deflector dish (which looks just as wicked). I'd love it if the ship in the movie looked just like Gabes.
He was talking about Gabe's ship. Confused me the first time I read it too.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 04:13 AM   #225
Phyzzx
Lieutenant

Turbo said:
Phyzzx said:
182 said:
He was talking about Gabe's ship. Confused me the first time I read it too.
Whew! I thougth I missed another pic!
Phyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote