New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 18 2008, 01:44 AM   #181
Tamek
Admiral

Re: Enterprise Pic

datas_cat_spot said:
I love the how the ship seems to really have some mass to it. There's not even that much frame of reference, but to me it looks completely real and full of...epic..ness.
This echoes my thoughts almost exactly.

It doesn't look like a dinky Christmas tree ornament-sized model...it looks like it has mass *and* volume

(And T'Bonz better not publish any #*(@&$ screenshots showing me and my temper)
(<3 T'Bonz
Tamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 01:46 AM   #182
decompiler
Commander

The nacelles look a little Steampunk to me!
Old January 18 2008, 01:46 AM   #183
section9
Commander

If I don't see at least one appearance by my beloved Mugatu, I am writing effing Jesse Jackson and demanding that he lead a boycott on Paramount.

No Mugatu, No Peace!
Old January 18 2008, 01:47 AM   #184
FlyingTigress
Lieutenant Junior Grade

And I have a bad feeling about what the substance on the floor of the auditorium might actually be -- and it isn't soft drinks from the concession stand.
FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 01:52 AM   #185
FlyingTigress
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hopefully, replacement registry numbers and ship's name isn't like the original AMT model decals -- cuz that one would be a bitch to set on a full-sized primary hull.

Late breaking news: Someone has posted the teaser on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y39gHihP74

(humor alert)
Old January 18 2008, 01:55 AM   #186
Green Shirt
Commodore

Franklin said:
In the theater I expect to hear:

-- Junior Mints thrown at the screen by someone.

Yesssss, Junior mints!!! 10 second rule applies.
Old January 18 2008, 01:55 AM   #187
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Franklin said:
CaptainDonovin said:
Peacemaker said:
CaptainDonovin said:
I'm a bit worried about the reaction so far. We're mostly all drooling over this one small pic. If we see this thing launch from the yards some of us will need to be carried from the theater. Myself included.
I triple dog dare people here to, when they see the first sight of the new ship onscreen, scream "They got the nacelles wrong!" from their seats.
I expect some of that to happen.
-- at least one painful groan,
-- a loud rant followed by storming out of the theater,
-- someone breaking down in sobs,
-- a "Fuck you, Abrams," shouted out of nowhere,
-- a cry of, "They HAVE raped my childhood," and

While the rest of us enjoy the cinematic beauty of it all.

-- Oh, and someone's cell phone will go off. Always happens.
Can't please everyone, right?

The ship looks beautiful.
Old January 18 2008, 01:58 AM   #188
datas_cat_spot
Captain

Do we know if this is as far as the camera pulls back during the teaser? Such a damn tease!
Old January 18 2008, 01:58 AM   #189
Dale
Vice Admiral

klingongoat said:
Franklin said:

Yesssss, Junior mints!!! 10 second rule applies.
Movie theater floors are specifically exempted from that rule. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and... well, more scum. We must be beyond cautious.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 01:59 AM   #190
bryce
Rear Admiral

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

One thing I am surprised no one seems to have noticed...

The lettering: "N.C.C.-1701"...

Dot's between the c's!!!

Were the ".'s" there in the original!? BLASPHEMEY!?

No, BUT SERIOUSLY...if you look closely at the bridge area, we are *obviously* NOT seeing the saucer from head on, but from slightly to the side. At an angle.(You can see part of the turbolift housing behind the bridge area.) So that lettering in not where it would normally be, on the front of the saucer, facing "forward", but off to one side. And that would look really really weird on the finished ship. I think that is just because the lettering is there for the sake of giving the *teaser* audience something to help identify this more as the Enterprise.

I'm sure in the actual movie shots, it will be in the right place, and who knows, maybe with a different font. Or not a different font, who knows.

And as for ships being build in space, or on a planet and then lifted there...there's a pic floating around here lately...a grainy screencap from TNG, that shows the components of a Galaxy class being build on the surface of Mars. Also in TNG, in the Lea Brahms holograph episode, we saw teh 171-D only partially build in a spacedock like facility. In Voyager, I think we saw a flashback to Utopia Planitia's space-based yards, and ships in various forms of completion.

But in Enterprise, we saw the Colombia apparently built in space. (NOTE: Or was that a cap from it being *RE-BUILT* in space after the Xindi attack? Anyone know...???)

So there is evidence for BOTH forms of construction in Trek. It's may just depend on the ship.

In ENT's time, maybe they had no big anti-gravy lifters, and it was easier to build a small, single body ship like that all in orbit. In TOS's time, they had lifters. And they had spacedocks. Plus the ships had more parts. So maybe they used "shirt sleeve environment" spacedocks AND surface yards to build ships. BOTH. (Maybe they were experimenting with space and planet based building systems, to see which had the greater advantages and disadvantages? Some things would be easier in zero G and safer, but some things harder, and more difficult.) maybe they did part the work on a planet, part in space?

Obviously, a least for a multi-hull ship like the post ENT ships, they final assembly would take place in space. (Although the DS9 Defiant and Voyager could have been build entirely on a planet, easily.)

Or maybe those Galaxy parts we saw on Mars in TNG were just test mock up's. Like how NASA fires rockets horizontally to test hem in the desert?

Who knows, I'd rather see Her build in space, but who knows, again, we've seen evidence for both forms of ship construction.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 02:04 AM   #191
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I don't know, I think it's straight on. There's a similar dip on the other side, and there's a beam of light in there to make it look a little odd.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 02:07 AM   #192
FlyingTigress
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the periods in the registry number. I recall that the "USS" didn't have periods (she's a post-menopausal ship, perhaps, by the time of TOS ) but, I do see them in the "U.S.S." on this photo.
Old January 18 2008, 02:11 AM   #193
Dale
Vice Admiral

Methinks you've spent too much time staring at this pic today. That's not a dot after the second C, it's a dark bit of hull plating. And this is a dead-on view of the ship... the seam up the middle of the saucer is centered.

As for the "Where was she built?" controversy... this is not a scene from the movie, It's non-canonical. It's all there just to have the play on words "Under Construction" and it's set on earth so we won't see any spacesuits which would be a dead giveaway that it was a spaceship they're constructing. It's an elaborate visual joke. This teaser is meant for an uninitiated audience who won't even consider such issues as "Why are they building her on the ground?"

This is a good tell for the general look of the redesigned ship, but the "plot" of this teaser reveals nothing about the movie.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 02:12 AM   #194
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

CaptainDonovin said:
I'm a bit worried about the reaction so far. We're mostly all drooling over this one small pic.
If you want to see bitching, go over to Trekmovie.com. Funny shit there.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 02:14 AM   #195
decompiler
Commander

I always kind of thought that if the Enterprise 9was built in San Francisco, that it was built in the sky on some kind of floating dry dock. I can see the ship being kept aloft on repulsor gantrys.

Let's say there are 3 ships are being built at any one time in San Francisco. If the ships were built on ground, wouldn't 3 ships cover an area the size of San Francisco itself? That's why I see floating ship yards. Something just short of orbital dry docks.