Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18 2008, 09:49 PM   #121
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Teaser - Grading and Disscusion

nerfherder said:
I LOVE it! One thing stands out for me though: someone earlier mentioned the "Steampunk" quality of the aesthetics, and someone else on Trek Movie Report noted how Bladerunner it looked. I know, it's a construction yard, but the tools, hardware of the ship, and gritty mood of the trailer makes me think that this may be a far less sanitized, pretty, and hippy-ized Trekverse than we have seen before. Not that I'm complaining - very refreshing, in fact. But is Abrams' Trek not the clean utopia that Roddenberry envisioned?
Maybe that wasn't CGI, but real sets being built.

I think "under construction" is the theme of the whole thing. Beyond that, I really doubt Abrams really cares what's read into it (well, he wants us to like it, which seems to be the case).
As I posted above, I'm beginning to believe those workers were meant to look 1960ish. The only thing missing was somebody's lunch box sitting on the saucer.
I mean, even today most precision welding is done by robots. And you have phasers, but still weld in the 20th century manner? If that's supposed to be an authentic representation of the building of the Enterprise, then I want to see a Federation inspector going around to test all those welds.

From the point of view of saying it's something new YET it's still mindful of the optimism and promise of space exploration that fueled TOS in the 1960s, it's damn good.
Old January 18 2008, 09:49 PM   #122
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Heh. That was awesome.

Kegek said:
Not so fond on the guys with goggles welding stuff, though. Somehow it looks too modern.
I think that was the idea. When you first see them, you have no idea it's a film set in the future. And I thought it gave the whole proceedings a magical air, like Lantern Wastes in "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" or all the steampunk tech in "The Golden Compass." Sure it's anachronistic, but that's the whole point. Made for a very effective teaser, IMO.

Now, if this sequence is in the final film, that'll be a whole other story...
Old January 18 2008, 09:49 PM   #123
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I liked it. Not as super-awesome as I hoped it'd be, but it made me even more exicted about the film's release so it did its job effectively.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 09:59 PM   #124
Ah, Forgive!
Commander

I adored this trailer. What I loved most was how it implies the grand scale of TMP that most of the other Trek movies seemed to lack. I hope the interior sets are just as impressive, or at least a step above the hokey TV-series-quality sets we've become accustomed to.

Nimoy's voice made this feel like "real" Star Trek to me, and not just someone else's take on it. It felt like revisiting my childhood.

I'm not really sure why there is all this ruckus from the canon-freaks about the Enterprise being built on Earth. The dedication plaque specifically says it was built in San Francisco. Have they ever said otherwise in the shows or films?
Old January 18 2008, 10:00 PM   #125
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed it. The saucer looks pretty much like a meld between the TOS Enterprise and the refit. However, at one point you see one of the nacelle struts (not connected to a nacelle, but oriented 'properly') and it seems to be the rectangular type from TOS rather than the canted and somewhat trapezoidal ones from the refit. Also, I saw a circular yellow graphic that looks similar to the one that's on the bottom of the TOS Enterprise's primary hull.

I'm really looking forward to the movie.
Old January 18 2008, 10:14 PM   #126
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

The dedication plaque specifically says it was built in San Francisco.
When I was younger that plaque really confused me since well I guess I assumed: "Its a starship, it must have been built in space - yet San Francisco is a on Earth. Why would they call orbital facilities 'San Fransisco shipyards'? Given there is such a place." it always seemed contradictory to me.

To me the rational that they built drydocks and called them "San Fransisco Shipyards" is really stretching it. If the plaque was meant to say: "San Fransisco orbital shipyards" it would - but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 11:04 PM   #127
Dart
Commodore

That baby looks like it could do Warp 15 no problem.

Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 11:17 PM   #128
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Franklin said:
nerfherder said:
I LOVE it! One thing stands out for me though: someone earlier mentioned the "Steampunk" quality of the aesthetics, and someone else on Trek Movie Report noted how Bladerunner it looked. I know, it's a construction yard, but the tools, hardware of the ship, and gritty mood of the trailer makes me think that this may be a far less sanitized, pretty, and hippy-ized Trekverse than we have seen before. Not that I'm complaining - very refreshing, in fact. But is Abrams' Trek not the clean utopia that Roddenberry envisioned?
Maybe that wasn't CGI, but real sets being built.

I think "under construction" is the theme of the whole thing. Beyond that, I really doubt Abrams really cares what's read into it (well, he wants us to like it, which seems to be the case).
As I posted above, I'm beginning to believe those workers were meant to look 1960ish. The only thing missing was somebody's lunch box sitting on the saucer.

Nick Meyer already did the 'bag lunch' thing in TWOK, but it was cut from the release print.

It would take a ton of work to make real sets look this painterly, whereas it is easy to let CG look painterly and unrealistic like this. What would have been grand is if they'd built a good miniature, hired Richard Yuricich to shoot it, then enhanced that with live-action people comped in, along with some CG atmospherics if real atmospherics wouldn't scale properly. APOLLO 13 should have been the objective here, something that has physicality as well as spectacle.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 11:29 PM   #129
M
Vice Admiral

So, who else thinks this guy in the teaser looks exactly like Ray Liotta?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:20 AM   #130
Woulfe
Commodore

Screw the crappy you tube version....

I just got back from CLOVERFIELD !

The teaser looks SO much better on an actual movie screen !
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:22 AM   #131
M
Vice Admiral

^ Good to hear that! I already love the YouTube one, but look forward to see the teaser on the big screen, too ...
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:44 AM   #132
egonbeeblebrox
Commander

Hell Yeah! I'm sold, and even my sister is, and she usually isn't a fan of Trek.

Are all these your guitars?
egonbeeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 12:50 AM   #133
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

Sharr Khan said:
The dedication plaque specifically says it was built in San Francisco.
When I was younger that plaque really confused me since well I guess I assumed: "Its a starship, it must have been built in space - yet San Francisco is a on Earth. Why would they call orbital facilities 'San Fransisco shipyards'? Given there is such a place." it always seemed contradictory to me.

To me the rational that they built drydocks and called them "San Fransisco Shipyards" is really stretching it. If the plaque was meant to say: "San Fransisco orbital shipyards" it would - but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Sharr
how i saw it was major sections were indeed built in san fran and then transported up and connected together in space.

for that matter they could they build the saucer section and fly it up.
Old January 19 2008, 01:00 AM   #134
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think the most important thing about this teaser is that it suggests Abrams is making an actual MOVIE here.

As good as I thought his MI3 was, there was no denying that it was essentially a glorified, big budget episode of Alias. I don't get that "TV feel" at all with this teaser.

This movie feels like it's going to be incredibly atmospheric and epically huge in scope, just as it should be.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 01:07 AM   #135
Holytomato
Fleet Captain

Let me click on the youtube link:

The dark isn't 1966 dark!!!!

Its supposed to be the Desilu logo not Paramount's nor Robot's!!!!

The Enterprise's parts are being constructed in the San Fransisco Navy Yards and then being put in space, then being put together in the spacedock, just like it says on the ship's plaque!!!!

They used C G I!!!!

Its a cross between the TOS and TMP designs!!!!

Nimoy said "Space the final frontier" not Shatner!!!!

J.J. Abrams has raped my childhood!!!!

:turning tin foil mode off:

Great! I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

and on my flat screen full spectrum LCD HD tv.

and on a Digital 3D Imax movie screeen. :thumbsup:
Holytomato is offline   Reply With Quote