Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 19 2008, 11:30 AM   #151
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Teaser - Grading and Disscusion

If Star Trek and Indy are both major hits for Paramount, maybe they can combine the two franchises for the next outing.

Or how about the Enterprise reaches Cybertron?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 02:36 PM   #152
Woulfe
Commodore

Therin of Andor said:
Woulfe said:
^ Only thing I was miffed about was no Indy 4 teaser !
We had an "Indy 4" foyer display at "Cloverfield", with a real hat and a whip!
DANGNABBIT !

Well, at least there was a coming soon poster in our multiplex....

- W -
* I'm really jealous of you can't you tell ? *
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 03:14 PM   #153
Kryton
Admiral

Sharr Khan said:
The dedication plaque specifically says it was built in San Francisco.
When I was younger that plaque really confused me since well I guess I assumed: "Its a starship, it must have been built in space - yet San Francisco is a on Earth. Why would they call orbital facilities 'San Fransisco shipyards'? Given there is such a place." it always seemed contradictory to me.

To me the rational that they built drydocks and called them "San Fransisco Shipyards" is really stretching it. If the plaque was meant to say: "San Fransisco orbital shipyards" it would - but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Sharr
If the shipyard is in geosynchronous orbit directly above Frisco, I don't see a problem in the least.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 10:29 PM   #154
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Kryton said:
Sharr Khan said:
When I was younger that plaque really confused me since well I guess I assumed: "Its a starship, it must have been built in space - yet San Francisco is a on Earth. Why would they call orbital facilities 'San Fransisco shipyards'? Given there is such a place." it always seemed contradictory to me.

To me the rational that they built drydocks and called them "San Fransisco Shipyards" is really stretching it. If the plaque was meant to say: "San Fransisco orbital shipyards" it would - but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Sharr
If the shipyard is in geosynchronous orbit directly above Frisco, I don't see a problem in the least.
Then it should follow that the plaque would saying something about orbital shipyards - it doesn't.

It just seems pointless to call another location "San Fran shipyards" when indeed there is in reality such a place and extend logic to make sure there's another place in space by the same name.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 10:50 PM   #155
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Saw it with Cloverfield, it's gotta be a reboot, unless building the ship is only in the teaser, Spock served with Pike 18 years before Kirk, so no way is Kirk not getting the ship first. Plus the whole Piper/McCoy thing, this is a reboot.
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 11:22 PM   #156
FlyingTigress
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The "Hemi" and the Dodge Ram logo on the front of the nacelle certainly adds to that theory...
FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 11:26 PM   #157
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Dave Scarpa said:
Saw it with Cloverfield, it's gotta be a reboot, unless building the ship is only in the teaser, Spock served with Pike 18 years before Kirk, so no way is Kirk not getting the ship first. Plus the whole Piper/McCoy thing, this is a reboot.
So, how do we know Kirk will even be in command or that McCoy will be the doctor? Just because they're in the movie doesn't mean that they will be filling their usual roles. Being a "prequel" and all, they may not even be part of the Enterprise crew yet.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2008, 12:40 AM   #158
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Sharr Khan said:
Kryton said:
Sharr Khan said:

Sharr
Then it should follow that the plaque would saying something about orbital shipyards - it doesn't.

It just seems pointless to call another location "San Fran shipyards" when indeed there is in reality such a place and extend logic to make sure there's another place in space by the same name.

Sharr
Not if it is shorthand. Saying something was built in Sol system doesn't mean it was built on the sun, just someplace in the system. San Fran could be short for San Fran Orbital Yard.

The dock, in GR's TMP-era concept, WAS in synchronous orbit about SF, at least according to Probert and I think Sackett, but it doesn't LOOK that way because the Earth would be too small in frame, so they resized the image to make it look good while still thinking it was geosync.

Also: saying 'orbital yards' might seem redundant by then, if you proceed from the assumption that everything had been getting built up there for the previous hundred or hundredfifty years (which was the notion with the TMP drydock, that it was a very OLD structure, but one flexible to keep in service, and would contrast visually with the newness of the refit's paint job); just like saying spacedock, when of course the thing is in space. Bennett seemed to have a real case of the 'space-ies" what with space doors and spacedocks.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2008, 06:30 AM   #159
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Dave Scarpa said:
The teaser won't be in the film.
Old January 20 2008, 06:41 PM   #160
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Dave Scarpa said:
Where in the teaser did it say Kirk was in command of the Enterprise or that McCoy is the CMO?
Old January 20 2008, 07:41 PM   #161
mada101
Lieutenant Commander

I thought it was a pretty average teaser. Nothing exciting (seeing a version of the Enterprise or hearing the Trek music doesn't 'do' it for me as it apparently does many). Some questions:

- Why is the Enterprise being welded by hand by a 1930s steelworker?
- Why does the ship look like a less-advanced version of the TMP one and not the TOS one?
- Why is the ship silver and not pearly white?

The music was pretty nice, I suppose. But, all in all, it didn't feel very 'Trek' to me. The whole tone seemed to be much more akin to the recent Star Wars prequels: dark and gritty, not hopeful and positive. But meh...it was a teaser, so there you go.
mada101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 05:06 PM   #162
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

*sigh*

People... It's a teaser- and probably a metaphor for the "under construction" thing. Get over it, don't take everything so literally and stop complaining about things that don't matter.

At least not to me.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 05:09 PM   #163
Tom
Rear Admiral

Post deleted, my mistake
Old January 21 2008, 05:12 PM   #164
Michael Chris
Admiral

Uhh, it is?
Old January 21 2008, 06:17 PM   #165
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

So I've heard. But it's probably not canon, so I wouldn't make any bets.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote