TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 19 2008, 02:09 AM   #136
JD
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Teaser - Grading and Disscusion

I saw Cloverfield this morning and I thought the trailer was increbible, just like the movie. I'm just glad that they actually put the trailer in front of a movie as good as Cloverfield. TBH the showing I went to had one of the best collections of trailers I've seen: Trek, Hellboy 2, Iron Man, and Jumper all back to back.
Old January 19 2008, 02:11 AM   #137
Woulfe
Commodore

^ Only thing I was miffed about was no Indy 4 teaser !

Oh well, good things come to those who wait, eh ?
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 02:40 AM   #138
steveman
Fleet Captain

What can I say? It's nice to finally see something done for us again. We've had to sit back and watch while fans of every sort (Star Wars, Batman, Spider-Man, Harry Potter, Transformers...) got to see their worlds looked after and lovingly brought to the big screen. We've had to sit back and watch while they've had their time in the sun. While they've had trailers to get excited for. While they've had opening nights to go to.

With this trailer, their time is officially over.

Now, it's time to see our world brought (back) to the big screen. It's time for us to get excited about trailers. About going to an opening night.

It's our time, baby. :thumbsup:
steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 02:50 AM   #139
Holytomato
Fleet Captain

The guy who did the Human:Ship size comparison video, Vektor, the person who did the April Fool's Day design, and the person who did the recent fake trailer were correct.

:thumbsup:
Holytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 04:59 AM   #140
Capt.April
Lieutenant Commander

Franklin said:
slappy said:
Kegek said:

Not so fond on the guys with goggles welding stuff, though. Somehow it looks too modern.
I dug that part, it was my favorite aspect of the whole trailer. I've always had a soft spot for Trek (and future sci-fi in general) that looked to the future with details from past. Kirk's antique glasses, breaking a champagne bottle on the hull, I love that type of thing.
I agree about the anachronisms used in "Star Trek".

Except this time, given the apparent theme of the teaser, perhaps the welders were meant to be laborers from the 1960s rather than from the from the future. The workers from one era contructing the new future and all.

But let's be honest, the whole payoff is the glimpse of the Enterprise. We already knew there was going to be a movie. What we wanted was to "see a bit of ankle." And that's what we got.
In the Trek history of the future remember Earth has gone through WW3 along with other huge upheavels of probably cultural and economic conflicts ("the post atomic horror"). One thing I thought Enterprise did not do well was to show the future as well as say the TMP novel. Enterprise was too America centered, it looked like it was too linear with todays world. In a couple of hundred years after wars and econonomic collapse and rebuilding and restructuring there may be a mix of old and new. A guy welding with a stick welder, possibly fusion powered two pieces of starship plating made of materials that we could only guess at could be quite feasible.

Two things that will change the world:
1. Fusion power
2. Matter teleportation/manipulation

A world with these two inventions would probably be unrecognizable to us, we're 17th century people looking at the year 2000. Ben Franklin would probably be a little disapointed though looking under the hood of Ford F-150 truck that we're still using pistons to move the darn thing.

'Stick Welder'....yea cool. But i wonder what it's attatched to?

Sorry for the ramble...Loved the trailer, I want it in HD!
Old January 19 2008, 07:22 AM   #141
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

Saw it on youtube and WOW that was great. From the first few seconds you wouldn't know it was for a Star Trek movie. The use of the transporter sound at the end gave me goose bumps. Can't wait for the next trailer.

Speaking of, anyone else who went to see Cloverfield get 10,000 BC instead for the trailer? I was kinda pissed about that, at least the movie was good.
Old January 19 2008, 07:28 AM   #142
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

CaptainDonovin said:

Speaking of, anyone else who went to see Cloverfield get 10,000 BC instead for the trailer? I was kinda pissed about that, at least the movie was good.
I chronicled my misadventures regarding such here.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 08:57 AM   #143
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I'm stoked. I'm pumped. Where's the tissues?!?
Old January 19 2008, 09:13 AM   #144
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

I can't remember other Trek teasers well enough to say that this one was the "best ever." What I saw at the theater tonight was good, but not quite a mind-blowing experience. They didn't show a single actor from the main cast, and I didn't like the way the starship was lit.

Anyone who says that this Trek teaser alone was worth the price of admission is certainly nuts.
Old January 19 2008, 09:25 AM   #145
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

They didn't show a single actor from the main cast
Its a TEASER - anyone who had expectations that they would see any or the main cast clearly doesn't grasp what teaser trailers are for...

As for your other issue that's all about opinion I'm sure. I don't think we were supposed to get a "glory shot" for this by any means.

If memory serves there's almost always a starfield involved with Trek teaser trailers, and for Trek VI there was a projection on the Enterprise of past adventures from film and tv. That one also seemed to stand out in that it was different then most teasers. Trek II's I think was a voice over of one of the normal "voice over guys from the 80's" and a starfield. All the others escape me.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 09:38 AM   #146
Dale
Vice Admiral

Audio analysis:

It sounds like they'll be using the important Courage music cues... which makes me happy. Also, people keep calling that sound behind the delta shield logo "the transporter sound" but in fact it's more... it starts off as a TOS transporter sound but it ends up as that "ringing plant leaf" sound they used as audio atmosphere in a lot of landing party scenes... most notably in The Cage (where Spock and Pike grasp the leaves moving in the breeze and the sound stops).
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 09:49 AM   #147
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Sharr Khan said:
They didn't show a single actor from the main cast
Its a TEASER - anyone who had expectations that they would see any or the main cast clearly doesn't grasp what teaser trailers are for...
A rather convenient defense. Teasers are supposed to be largely free of content, so we shouldn't criticize them for any reason. I'll try to keep that in mind.
Old January 19 2008, 10:58 AM   #148
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Sharr Khan said:
When I was younger that plaque really confused me since well I guess I assumed: "Its a starship, it must have been built in space - yet San Francisco is a on Earth. Why would they call orbital facilities 'San Fransisco shipyards'? Given there is such a place." it always seemed contradictory to me.
It makes sense, if said shipyards are in geosynchronous orbit over San Francisco.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 11:22 AM   #149
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Bad Bishop said:
Anyone who says that this Trek teaser alone was worth the price of admission is certainly nuts.
The ST trailer was $AU 11.00 using my "Hot Cash"/"Screen Saver" voucher - and the other trailers, ads and "Cloverfield" were free.

A bargain!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 11:25 AM   #150
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Woulfe said:
^ Only thing I was miffed about was no Indy 4 teaser !
We had an "Indy 4" foyer display at "Cloverfield", with a real hat and a whip!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote