The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 18 2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: Breen Attack on Earth

Well let's face it, if they were taking the global destruction route then the simplest thing is to do is just enter the solar system and take out the sun.
Old January 18 2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

Indeed. One would think that the sort of system we saw in "Tears of the Prophets" could intercept thousands of long range torpedoes just as easily as it intercepts hundreds of point-blank starships. A Cardassian Dreadnought wouldn't have a prayer. And perhaps there could also be some sort of a gadget that stops warp torpedoes and warp ramming attacks, forcing the intruder to sublight. But we've never heard of such a gadget, although there are various ways of forcing things out of warp.

But that's only when guarding a planet. Guarding the central star against a single trilithium torpedo would be nigh-impossible...

That is, assuming that somebody knew how to build a trilithium torpedo. The techniques used for making a star flare, such as in the DS9 7th season opener arc, would be easier to defend against - the Dominion forces nearly defeated Worf and Martok's attempt there. And we haven't heard of anybody else besides Soran possessing the knowhow for creating a rapidly working starkiller.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2008, 05:35 PM   #18
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Blueicus, you forget the comment by Weyoun in "Favor the Bold" where he says to Dukat that they need to make an example so they will kill everyone on Earth.

I think the Breen attacked in small numbers because of the easy detectability of large fleets. Remember, warp drive in a solar system is highly disruptive of planetary orbits and would therefore be noticeable, nullifying the advantage of cloaks. Massed ships emitting antimatter plasma would also be hard to hide. As for hitting a planet or sun with "warp" weapons-that pesky planetary gravity thing probably makes it impossible to aim with any degree of accuracy, and who wants to shoot a gun that may or may not hit? If I point a gun at you I would like the bullet to, at least, go in your general direction. If there is a strong and unpredictable chance of it going sideways or even back at me then I'm just going to pick up a rock and hit you over the head-its safer for me and just as painful for you. And Shameless McBundy is right-the attack was a Doolittle Raid. As I said in an earlier posting-I had to write up an overview for a fan fic last week and I thought it out fairly well. Combined with the "official" info from Memory Alpha, that was the only way I could reconcile all of the tech and known details.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 03:03 AM   #19
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Mistral said:
Remember, warp drive in a solar system is highly disruptive of planetary orbits and would therefore be noticeable, nullifying the advantage of cloaks.
Um, might I ask where this might have been established?

As for hitting a planet or sun with "warp" weapons-that pesky planetary gravity thing probably makes it impossible to aim with any degree of accuracy, and who wants to shoot a gun that may or may not hit? If I point a gun at you I would like the bullet to, at least, go in your general direction. If there is a strong and unpredictable chance of it going sideways or even back at me then I'm just going to pick up a rock and hit you over the head-its safer for me and just as painful for you.
Here, no. Gravity is supremely predictable, and the flight of objects under the influence of gravity is only a little bit less predictable than their movement while on railroad tracks. Really. You can do pretty good ballistics projections with the mathematics of the 15th century; with that of the 24th century, you can pretty well count on being able to hit your target from anywhere in the solar system. Given a guided missile rather than a ballistic one, you can pretty well count on hitting the square millimeter you have as the designated target.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 01:28 PM   #20
Mistral
Vice Admiral

OK, in a number of episodes they made a point of leaving solar systems under impulse power-and there has been mention of gravitational disruptions if you go to warp "too near a planet",
re: ballistics-the calculations become extremely absurd when you take into account not just trajectory but also gravitational influences, 'quantum flux'(the catch-all for subspace eddies and spacial disturbances in ST) and of course, the simple idea that we are attempting to launch faster than light objects(read:warheads) at an object that is virtually stationary. Put a ping pong ball in the middle of your kitchen table. Make sure the ball has a magnet inside of it. Place at least 2 or 3 other magnets around it. Vary the distance of each magnet, ranging from 1 inch to 6 inches. Now get yet another magnet about the size of a staple. Stand 6 feet away from the edge of the table and make the staple-sized magnet in you hand stick to the ball when you throw it on your ballistic trajectory.Child's play, right? Let me know how it works out.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Mr J
Rear Admiral

They really should have looked up the specs for one of those fancy Xindi super weapons before they left the house.
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 03:34 PM   #22
TeutonicNights
Commander

I always liked to think the Feds and the Doms, both skilled at diplomacy, had some agreements about warfare by the time they actually went to war.
Including using only "conventional" weapons in orbitary battles and not using "WMDs" to annihilate entire systems (Especially after the trilithium bomb incident before the war).

Such agreements would also help explain the odd warfare in "The siege of AR 334", where they don't use the broad Phaser beams we saw on TNG (and the houdinis aren't as deadly as they could be).
The real reason was of course it wouldn't have been much of a battle if they had.
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 03:39 PM   #23
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

In AR 334, the Feds were battling the Jem'Hadar. They sent Kamakazis against the Odyssey. I don't think they have rules of engagement, other than win the war.
Old January 19 2008, 03:48 PM   #24
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Apogeal Alpha01 said:
In AR 334, the Feds were battling the Jem'Hadar. They sent Kamakazis against the Odyssey. I don't think they have rules of engagement, other than win the war.
However, that was before the war, and moreorless part of a true First Contact in its own right.
Old January 19 2008, 04:17 PM   #25
Ezri
Captain

The Breen attacked Earth, and we know the attack was in California ... it was no big deal ... it is just California.
Ezri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2008, 04:30 AM   #26
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Hey! That's not nice! I love my state! My beautiful state!
Old January 20 2008, 04:36 AM   #27
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

Well lets see... First Pearl Harbor and then the Alaskan Islands, next New York City, then part of Florida, and now California. Clearly "they" have it out for our outlying regions!
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2008, 04:49 AM   #28
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Yeah! What's wrong with Michigan! Attack Detroit, or Denver. Isn't that where Cheyene Mountain is? Isn't it all the same from space? Geez!!
Old January 20 2008, 04:52 AM   #29
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

I mean what has the NYC or Florida done to YOU?! Attack Rochester NY or Alabama or even parts of England just to spice things up.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2008, 05:01 AM   #30
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^Or Iran or North Korea.

Although that may be counter-productive as they'd likely get a standing ovation from the rest of the planet....