Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Closed Thread

Old January 14 2008, 11:36 PM   #1
DumbDumb2007
Commander

Can East River along Queens be filled in ?

Can the East River between Roosevelt Island and Queens simply be filled in ? the whole island could be redevolped with subways and extensions of Queens Blvd and the LIE bringing people closer to Manhattan. whole new subways and a new underground train station, Penn Station 2 or Jamaica train station 2 could be built there.
Old January 15 2008, 04:03 AM   #2
TerriO
Writer-type human

Re: Can East River along Queens be filled in ?

I'm not sure what this obsession of yours with NYC and eliminating all of the waterways around it is, but fill land is not that stable. Look at the slurry walls needed to build the World Trade Center towers and the term "liquefaction" if you need any further information.
Old January 15 2008, 05:30 AM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

What could or could not be built on the new acreage aside, filling in the East River would also have a significant (and, I suspect, extremely undesirable) effect on tidal flows into and out of western Long Island Sound. It would almost certainly bung up the balance of the entire marine ecosystem in that area and very probably lead to its complete or near-complete silting-in.
Old January 15 2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

If I'm not mistaken, a good bit of Chicago is built on the landfill ruins after the Chicago fire.

You'd never be able to build huge, tall, buildings on landfill and you'd need to pack it and let it settle for a few years before really trying to build and I even think some of New York is already built on landfill.

So I think it's possible.

Hell. New York has to do SOMETHING with all their garbage.
Old January 15 2008, 06:11 AM   #5
Maurice
Vice Admiral

DumbDumb posts questions like this all over the site, I'm afraid.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old January 15 2008, 03:31 PM   #6
TerriO
Writer-type human

Trekker4747 said:
Hell. New York has to do SOMETHING with all their garbage.
Dude, we're not in TNZ, I can't actually comment on that without having to warn myself. That's just mean.

Folks, I'm pretty sure I know what we're all thinking here. However, let's try to give the benefit of the doubt and actually try to discuss the subject, please?

Thanks.
Old January 15 2008, 04:18 PM   #7
ex nihilo
Captain

TerriO said:
. . . but fill land is not that stable. Look at the slurry walls needed to build the World Trade Center towers and the term "liquefaction" if you need any further information.
Trekker4747 said:
You'd never be able to build huge, tall, buildings on landfill and you'd need to pack it and let it settle for a few years before really trying to build and I even think some of New York is already built on landfill.
If I may be so bold . . .

Both quotes above are not accurate. Japan has built numerous structures on land “reclaimed” from Tokyo Bay through the process of infill. Liquefaction is a concern, since Japan is seismically active in the extreme, but the Japanese have engineered ways to mitigate this. Nearly 250 square kilometers of the Bay have been reclaimed since the Meiji era.

As for building large structures on reclaimed land, Japan’s largest skyscraper, the multiuse Landmark Tower, is built in the Minato Mirai 21 district (Port Future 21, also know colloquially as “Futuristic Town”) of Yokohama, which is largely (over 2/3) built on reclaimed land.

Now, as to the OP’s original purpose I cannot fathom to guess. Japan, and the megalopolis that consists of Tokyo and the cities surrounding it, is unique in the sense that land is at a premium. Here in the States land is still quite abundant leaving more cost effective options open to developers. Jeez, if a business wanted to stay on Manhattan Island, there are plenty of areas that are in dire need of revitalization and reuse.
Old January 17 2008, 03:37 PM   #8
TerriO
Writer-type human

Condensing all of these threads into one at this thread.