Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 21 2008, 08:56 PM   #31
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Re: Q & A Query (SPOILERS)

Slightly OT: If it's unlikely that I will ever get to see Nimoy and de Lancie perform them live, are the Spock vs. Q audio recordings worth the purchase?
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 09:23 PM   #32
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I would say they are. Sadly, I never got the chance to see them perform, but I love the recordings.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2008, 10:37 PM   #33
Steve Roby
Commodore

On the other hand, my wife Laura and I listened to them (she's a Trek fan too) and we didn't care for them much at all. We were left with a "guess you had to be there" reaction.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 12:57 AM   #34
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

KRAD said:
All of them, in fact.
Thats great!

Not having read the book, but intending of buying it very soon, can you say, as spoiler-free as you can, if you, somewhat, explained the Trelane-q issue? Q-Squared is considered impossible to have happened for the Trelane issue and all...

I don't think there's a Q story out there I don't like, because even the worst Q story has Q in it, and is therefore tons o' fun. Having said that, I'm particularly fond of Q-in-Law, and I think Peter's take on the character is excellent.
Thats cool! My favorite Q novel so far, has been Q-Squared. And I have read several others and all. Whats your opinion on Q-Squared, btw?

Also, I haven't checked the VOY-Kirk story, but I am sure you did. Is it worth tracking down? I'm a Kirk fan, and would like to see if there's any chance for a Kirk-Q interaction.

I actually had the privilege of seeing Nimoy and deLancie perform this live at a Slanted Fedora convention in 2001, and it was fantastic. The audios don't do it justice really. It works a thousand times better live....
I was considering purchasing them - I have seen some of the live recordings they did in youtube, back in the day.

I am concerned, though, if it'd temper with continuity... Is it, you know, impropable to have happened, as a tale?

PS: I envy you.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 02:19 AM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Emperor-Tiberius said:
Not having read the book, but intending of buying it very soon, can you say, as spoiler-free as you can, if you, somewhat, explained the Trelane-q issue? Q-Squared is considered impossible to have happened for the Trelane issue and all...
There are no Trelane references in Q&A, unless it's something implied that I overlooked.

I was considering purchasing them - I have seen some of the live recordings they did in youtube, back in the day.

I am concerned, though, if it'd temper with continuity... Is it, you know, impropable to have happened, as a tale?
Why does continuity matter? None of these stories "actually" happened. They're all made up. What does it matter if they fit together with each other, as long as they're entertaining? Continuity is nice to have, but I'll never for the life of me understand the attitude that a work of fiction is somehow not worth reading (or listening to, in this case) if it isn't consistent with another totally made-up thing that never happened.

From what I've read about it, I'd say Spock vs. Q isn't really meant to be a serious attempt at contributing to the Trek canon so much as using the conceit of a meeting between Spock and Q as an excuse for letting Nimoy and DeLancie strut their stuff before an audience. Trying to define its "canon value" seems like missing the point.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 04:08 AM   #36
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

While many things were explained in this novel, that was not one of them. Basically I wanted to make sure to make at least a passing reference to all the Q stories on television and in prose, but some of the references were very passing indeed, including the one to Trelane. (Christopher, you did, in fact, miss it -- it's on page 122 in the fifth interlude.)

Whats your opinion on Q-Squared, btw?
Enjoyed the heck out of it. Good romp.

Also, I haven't checked the VOY-Kirk story, but I am sure you did. Is it worth tracking down? I'm a Kirk fan, and would like to see if there's any chance for a Kirk-Q interaction.
I have no idea what you're talking about....

Pretty improbable, yeah, but it's not meant to be taken in the least bit seriously.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 05:54 AM   #37
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

KRAD said:
I have no idea what you're talking about....
The End of Night by Paul J. Kaplan in SNW VI has Q and Kirk meeting on Voyager. It's a pretty fun story.
Old January 22 2008, 07:31 AM   #38
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

^ Oh.

Old January 22 2008, 02:42 PM   #39
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Ah, Gotcha!!!!!!!

Caught you out oh great and knowledgeable one!!!

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2008, 03:42 PM   #40
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

KRAD said:
While many things were explained in this novel, that was not one of them. Basically I wanted to make sure to make at least a passing reference to all the Q stories on television and in prose, but some of the references were very passing indeed, including the one to Trelane.
Thats great to hear!

KRAD said:
Enjoyed the heck out of it. Good romp.
Glad you did too - its my favorite Q novel. I can only hope your novel is even better!

What is your personal favorite Star Trek novel? Both from those you've written and from everybody else's work?

I'll inform you when I have read the novel.

KRAD said:
Pretty improbable, yeah, but it's not meant to be taken in the least bit seriously.
Just as fine - I'll get it anyway.

Old January 22 2008, 05:27 PM   #41
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

What is your personal favorite Star Trek novel? Both from those you've written and from everybody else's work?
Of my own, my favorite is probably Articles of the Federation -- though I think my strongest novel is The Art of the Impossible. As for other folks, my favorite remains The Entropy Effect by Vonda N. McIntyre.

Old January 22 2008, 05:55 PM   #42
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

KRAD said:
Of my own, my favorite is probably Articles of the Federation -- though I think my strongest novel is The Art of the Impossible. As for other folks, my favorite remains The Entropy Effect by Vonda N. McIntyre.
Good to know.

I only ask because I admire you and your work. I am currently readingg THE ART OF THE IMPOSSIBLE, in fact, and so far its excellent! The way you integreated Colonel Worf to the Klingon-Cardassian diplocatic scenario (haven't finished yet), as well as the inclusion of Curzon Dax, is delightful!

As you can see, I'm not TOO much into novels - Shatner's post-GEN novels* introduced to Trek Lit, and Peter David's Q-SQUARED kept me interested. But because of not-enough-time, I am picking stories that might interest me due to either situations (ie., the Klingon/Cardassia cold war stuff), or characters I wanna see again )ie., Kirk in the above situation, Q in the case of my forthcoming buy of Q&A).

*BTW, whats your opinion on the Shatner and Reeves/Stevens stories? And should I persue individual Reeves/Stevens novels if I liked them?

Old January 22 2008, 06:09 PM   #43
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

I only ask because I admire you and your work. I am currently readingg THE ART OF THE IMPOSSIBLE, in fact, and so far its excellent! The way you integreated Colonel Worf to the Klingon-Cardassian diplocatic scenario (haven't finished yet), as well as the inclusion of Curzon Dax, is delightful!
Why thank you! I'm quite proud of that book....

*BTW, whats your opinion on the Shatner and Reeves/Stevens stories? And should I persue individual Reeves/Stevens novels if I liked them?
Not really my cuppa, but they're good at what they are. And I'd recommend pretty much all of the R-S's solo work, in particular Federation and Memory Prime.

Old January 22 2008, 06:23 PM   #44
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

KRAD said:Not really my cuppa, but they're good at what they are. And I'd recommend pretty much all of the R-S's solo work, in particular Federation and Memory Prime.
I have read a lot of praises for FEDERATION... I guess I'll check that one too.

And to be clear, I enjoy the Shatner books - if anything, they unkill Kirk, in a silly way maybe, but no sillier than his death in GEN. Plus, I enjoy the continuity involved by the Reeves/Stevens, and also other various aspects.

Of course I do consider your work, from what I have read and Q-Squared, superb literature, I do find them a lot of fun... Would you say they're bad, though? I think ASHES OF EDEN, SPECTRE and CAPTAIN'S GLORY were particularly good. What do you say?

PS: I wish THE ART OF THE IMPOSSIBLE was made, in some sort of way. Its THAT good. Then again, if you must know me, I wish all ST novels I have to have been canon. Except for ENGINES OF DESTINY - THAT was dreadful, what do you think?

NOTE: Sorry if I bore you terribly with my questions and all... Its not all that often that I can find a ST writer in these forums... Much less, a good one!

Old January 22 2008, 07:37 PM   #45
trampledamage
Clone

Emperor-Tiberius said:

NOTE: Sorry if I bore you terribly with my questions and all... Its not all that often that I can find a ST writer in these forums... Much less, a good one!
Oh, we have lots of those

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote