IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 16 2008, 06:24 PM   #1
EJA
Fleet Captain

Q & A Query (SPOILERS)

Okay, I'm reading Q & A at the moment, and there's just something that's nagging me. The prologue states that "They" periodically destroy every universe that comes along if it's inhabitants don't impress them. But later on in the book, lots of other universes become endangered at the same time as the "main" one. So do "They" wipe out entire multiverses rather than single universes at the end of every cycle? Kind of like the Conjunction of a Million Spheres in Michael Moorcock's fiction? Hope you can clear this up for me.
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 08:13 PM   #2
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Q & A Query (SPOILERS)

Hm. Thinking about it, the term "multiverse" probably would've been more appropriate to use than "universe," but "universe" is a more generally recognized term -- "multiverse" is a little too Marvel Comics.

So to answer your question, yeah, They wipe out every damn thing and start all over.....

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Technobuilder
Commodore

EJA said:
Okay, I'm reading Q & A at the moment, and there's just something that's nagging me. The prologue states that "They" periodically destroy every universe that comes along if it's inhabitants don't impress them. But later on in the book, lots of other universes become endangered at the same time as the "main" one. So do "They" wipe out entire multiverses rather than single universes at the end of every cycle? Kind of like the Conjunction of a Million Spheres in Michael Moorcock's fiction? Hope you can clear this up for me.
I had the same question when I initially read Q&A, but assumed it was just what KRAD said. The term "Universe" used to describe the entirety of existence, thereby including all multiple realities and possibilities.

At least now I know that I was correct in my assumption.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
EJA
Fleet Captain

Technobuilder said:
EJA said:
I had the same question when I initially read Q&A, but assumed it was just what KRAD said. The term "Universe" used to describe the entirety of existence, thereby including all multiple realities and possibilities.

At least now I know that I was correct in my assumption.
We're marvelous, aren't we?
Old January 16 2008, 09:37 PM   #5
EJA
Fleet Captain

KRAD said:
Hm. Thinking about it, the term "multiverse" probably would've been more appropriate to use than "universe," but "universe" is a more generally recognized term -- "multiverse" is a little too Marvel Comics.

So to answer your question, yeah, They wipe out every damn thing and start all over.....
But if the idea is that They wipe out entire universes because the inhabitants aren't "right" enough for Them...doesn't that imply that the inhabitants of all the universes turn out the same way as one another? No offense, but I can't help finding that a bit hard to swallow in light of what we already know about parallel universes. Being all independant of each other, they could never all reach the same conclusion.
Old January 16 2008, 09:52 PM   #6
LightningStorm
The Borg King

EJA said:
But if the idea is that They wipe out entire universes because the inhabitants aren't "right" enough for Them...doesn't that imply that the inhabitants of all the universes turn out the same way as one another?
I don't think that implies anything like that. It simply states that They don't like the inhabitants of any of the "universes" that exist.

For a much much smaller comparison, if you had say a million different items and didn't like any of them, that does not imply that all million items are (say) apples. You might have an apple, an orange, a computer, a chair, a desk, a car, a... etc.
Old January 16 2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Let's face it. They are very capricious beings, and They will do whatever They want to do.

One thing I wonder about is how long They will give Picard's multiverse before subjecting it to another trial.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

AFAIK, Julie Schwartz invented the term Multiverse for the DCU. It was used at DC long before it appeared in research papers.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 12:44 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Well, despite the tendency to use the terms interchangeably, alternate timelines are not separate universes. They're different quantum states of our universe. Our universe was born and then began diverging into different timelines, different histories. But all those histories are part of the same universe, descended from the same origin. Destroy that universe and you destroy all its timelines, all its histories, all its Jean-Luc Picards and Datas and Messrs. Mot. But it's just one universe. Or multiverse, if you prefer. (Which is an etymologically questionable word; "universe" means "one from many," so "multiverse" actually means "many many.")

A different universe would be a completely different place. It wouldn't be a place where the same planets and people exist but they're evil instead of good or they all wear cowboy hats. It would have different galaxies, different planets, different species -- maybe even different laws of physics that don't allow those things to exist in the first place. (In Trek, a good example of a different universe would be Species 8472's fluidic space.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 03:31 PM   #10
EJA
Fleet Captain

^ I think there's some indication that whole other universes could develop in similar ways to one another. There's the instances where the Trekverse crossed over with the Marvel Universe (in Star TreX, Second Contact, and Planet X), and that had humans in it.
Old January 17 2008, 03:34 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

^^But those are apocryphal stories that aren't meant to represent anything that "really" happened in the Trekverse. They don't count.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 05:25 PM   #12
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Could I go a bit off topic and ask if the planet Gaia is the one seen in DS9: Children of Time?
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 06:00 PM   #13
EJA
Fleet Captain

Christopher said:
^^But those are apocryphal stories that aren't meant to represent anything that "really" happened in the Trekverse. They don't count.
Couldn't the same thing be said for all the Trek literature, Q & A included?
Old January 17 2008, 06:25 PM   #14
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ How to win friends and influence people in the TrekLit forum, ladies and gentlemen.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 10:02 PM   #15
EJA
Fleet Captain

Talking of Q & A, why is Q so concerned about the survival of the universe? After all, I think it's been established in other fiction (e.g. Mike Friedman's Q Continuum trilogy, Planet X, and Peter David's Missing in Action) that the Q have access to all universes. And in the epilogue to Missing in Action, Q and his son are actually shown to exist outside all the universes (multiverse?) and even destroy one such universe themselves.