Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 14 2008, 11:49 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Nimoy - 'Star Trek XI' To Revitalize 'Star Trek'

Still active at 76, Leonard Nimoy discusses life, death and Star Trek XI.

As reported at Trekweb, from an article located at Hossli.com, aging is no reason for Nimoy to slow down.

When asked why he is still working even though he supposedly retired three years ago, Nimoy said, "..Why do we eat? To live, to be alive. I enjoy my life. I like to work. I like to be productive. I like to explore and to learn." He went on to explain that "I donít want to waste any time. Even if Iím not doing anything I want to enjoy that time. If Iím conscious of the time, then I donít waste it."

When told that he seemed to be running from death, Nimoy denied it. "I think about death," he said. "I think about how much time I have left. I put a clock in place that runs backwards. It tells me how much time I have left." Nimoy obtained the clock from a life insurance company.

Nimoy hasn't been paying attention to what is happening to Star Trek in general, but is enthusiastic about Star Trek XI. "Now were going into a project that in its own way is going to be a very important project if it works," he said. "It will revitalize the entire 'Star Trek' franchise. It will be a very big, very expensive movie, much more expansive than any of the movies I was involved with."

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.
Old January 15 2008, 02:13 AM   #2
Procutus
Admiral

Re: Nimoy - 'Star Trek XI' To Revitalize 'Star Trek'

The line about this movie being more expansive than the ones that he was involved in (I - VI) has me excited. Of all the TOS movies, TMP had the most epic feel to it, and the impression I get here is that this movie goes way beyond that.
Old January 15 2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I trust Nimoy. Despite all the accusations about how everybody is just giving the company line I could never believe that about Nimoy. He was nearly fired early in Star Trek's run for standing up for better scripts. His artistic integrity is never in question for me. Never.

His artistic judgement re: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock but his integrity... His integrity is like a hundred dollar bill. It's good. It's tangible. And you could take it to the bank.
Old January 15 2008, 06:33 AM   #4
TJinPgh
Captain

Procutus said:
The line about this movie being more expansive than the ones that he was involved in (I - VI) has me excited. Of all the TOS movies, TMP had the most epic feel to it, and the impression I get here is that this movie goes way beyond that.
Movies VII through X were all more expensive than anything he was connected with. Only one of them is considered good by most fans.

Money and quality are by no means synonymous.

In fact, these days, they're often polar opposites as special effects budgets are far too often used to compensate for a lousy movie.

Not to mention the more it costs to produce the more it needs to make to see a profit.
Old January 15 2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Morgan19
Commander

TJinPgh said:
Movies VII through X were all more expensive than anything he was connected with. Only one of them is considered good by most fans.

Money and quality are by no means synonymous.

In fact, these days, they're often polar opposites as special effects budgets are far too often used to compensate for a lousy movie.

Not to mention the more it costs to produce the more it needs to make to see a profit.
Expansive, not expensive...

m19
Old January 15 2008, 11:58 PM   #6
T'Cal
Commodore

It's Nimoy, dude! He has been and always will be our friend! He won't let us down. And, if he does, we'll turn on him in a heartbeat because we're Trekkers and that's what we do. So, for the premier I plan on bringing a torch and a pitch fork just in case.
Old January 16 2008, 02:12 AM   #7
Procutus
Admiral

TJinPgh said:
Procutus said:

The word I used was expansive, meaning scope, not expensive. Both words were used by Nimoy in the above article, bit it was the non-money related term that has me interested.

Old January 16 2008, 04:48 AM   #8
TJinPgh
Captain

Procutus said:The word I used was expansive, meaning scope, not expensive. Both words were used by Nimoy in the above article, bit it was the non-money related term that has me interested.

Fair enough. I admit I misread it.

However, it's still a meaningless comment (Nimoy's, not yours).

Expansive how?

Bigger... more spectacular looking? I'd hope so. If you're spending $150 million on a movie starring people nobody knows it had BETTER be bigger and more spectacular looking.

Expansive, as in it should have a broader range of appeal? That would imply that the previous movies DIDN'T try to get people other than "Trekkies" into the theater. While that may have been the case, I doubt that was the intent.

Trying to get a broader range of customers is a noble idea. But, things that strive to be all things to all people usually end up being nothing to anybody.

With all due respect to the work that Nimoy has done with Trek over the decades, I take all of this with a grain of salt.
Old January 16 2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Tyson
Fleet Captain

Admiral James Kirk said:
I trust Nimoy. Despite all the accusations about how everybody is just giving the company line I could never believe that about Nimoy. He was nearly fired early in Star Trek's run for standing up for better scripts. His artistic integrity is never in question for me. Never.

His artistic judgement re: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock but his integrity... His integrity is like a hundred dollar bill. It's good. It's tangible. And you could take it to the bank.
Nimoy's involvement and comments on this movie are the only thing that gives me hope it'll be any good, like you I've always trusted his integrity and his opinion.
Old January 17 2008, 01:49 AM   #10
Procutus
Admiral

TJinPgh said:
Procutus said:The word I used was expansive, meaning scope, not expensive. Both words were used by Nimoy in the above article, bit it was the non-money related term that has me interested.

Fair enough. I admit I misread it.

However, it's still a meaningless comment (Nimoy's, not yours).

Expansive how?

Bigger... more spectacular looking? I'd hope so. If you're spending $150 million on a movie starring people nobody knows it had BETTER be bigger and more spectacular looking.

Expansive, as in it should have a broader range of appeal? That would imply that the previous movies DIDN'T try to get people other than "Trekkies" into the theater. While that may have been the case, I doubt that was the intent.

Trying to get a broader range of customers is a noble idea. But, things that strive to be all things to all people usually end up being nothing to anybody.

With all due respect to the work that Nimoy has done with Trek over the decades, I take all of this with a grain of salt.

Well you've got a point, but being that Nimoy has obviously seen some of the sets (and presumably locations as well), he's in a position to judge just how 'big' this movie is.

I guess that's what I'm hoping for, a Trek movie that has an epic feel to it, in the same way that LotR and PotC did. I hope that Nimoy isn't just talking this up to make Abrams happy.
Old January 18 2008, 08:15 PM   #11
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I'm afraid Nimoy's got it wrong this time.

This movie will kill Star Trek.
Old January 19 2008, 02:13 AM   #12
Procutus
Admiral

Captain Robert April said:

Why?

Old January 19 2008, 05:38 AM   #13
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Captain Robert April said:
I'm afraid Nimoy's got it wrong this time.

It's hard to kill something that's already dead.
Old January 23 2008, 02:41 AM   #14
Procutus
Admiral

^

Well then, perhaps this will resurrect it then.

Old January 23 2008, 02:51 AM   #15
Spider
Dirty Old Man

T'Cal said:
It's Nimoy, dude! He has been and always will be our friend! He won't let us down. And, if he does, we'll turn on him in a heartbeat because we're Trekkers and that's what we do. So, for the premier I plan on bringing a torch and a pitch fork just in case.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory