IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 16 2008, 05:45 PM   #91
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Description of the teaser trailer...

Samuel T. Cogley said:
Starship Polaris said:
How do you justify that?
He's a Trekkie.
We reach, brother.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 05:52 PM   #92
StCoop
Commodore

Corran Horn said:
Alpha Romeo said:
Ahhh San Francisco was on the dedication plate wasn't it?
Yes, but that's been conveniently forgotten by some.
But... but... it was the San Francisco that's in OUTER SPACE obviously. I know there's nothing in the actual TV series or films to say it wasn't built on Earth and assembled in space but it was in the Series Bible so IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 06:07 PM   #93
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

What if you lived in the city by the bay and owned a ladder high enough to reach down a satellite or two?

Hypothetically, on which rung can you no longer claim to be San Francisco based?
Old January 16 2008, 06:37 PM   #94
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think people are forgetting that this is the 23rd century we're talking about.

If we had that kind of anti-gravity technology today, I can assure you NASA would be constructing the space station on Earth in 3 or 4 giant pieces, and would then slowly lift those pieces into space to be joined together later.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 07:17 PM   #95
ancient
Vice Admiral

Well it sounds alright, I guess.

I'm glad about the aircraft-like nacelles, that means they haven't gone and done some square-nacelle bullshit. Yay for the original roundies.

As I expected, it doesn't seem to give away anything from the actual movie aside from maybe a rough image of what he ENT looks like.
Old January 16 2008, 07:19 PM   #96
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

Re: Description of the teaser trailer...SPOILERS, Dude

Kpnuts said:
Constructed on Earth eh? There's something I wasn't expecting.

Why is that such a big deal among Trekkies? Because it violates their precious canon? Boo hoo. Seagoing vessels aren't built in the water. If Starfleet has the capability to build a ship that crosses the galaxy, then it shouldn't be a problem for it to escape the gravity of Earth once it's completed. Give it a rest.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 07:24 PM   #97
ancient
Vice Admiral

It doesn't violate any canon that I'm aware of.

It does violate gospel, however.
Old January 16 2008, 07:48 PM   #98
Cranston
Commander

ELURIA said:
What if only the dedication plaque itself was build in San Francisco ?

--Zeus, Odyssey I: 32-34
Cranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 07:59 PM   #99
Mr J
Rear Admiral

Only people on boards like this one will care that the Enterprise was build on Earth. Others will just think it looks frikkin' sweet or not be bothered either way.

Sounds like a fun teaser. Looking forward to seeing it. :thumbsup:
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 08:03 PM   #100
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Corran Horn said:
Alpha Romeo said:
Kegek said:
Hm. I really like that, sounds like an excellent teaser.

I'm betting good money that some people won't be pleased with the idea of the Enterprise being constructed on Earth, though.
Ahhh San Francisco was on the dedication plate wasn't it?
Yes, but that's been conveniently forgotten by some.
I was always at a loss for the San Fransisco "ship yards" thing - since, ah couldn't see how or why they would call an orbital facility "San Fransisco Ship" yards. This kinda explains that. Its actually on Earth.

I knew someone (well just not anyone, at least two people) was going to attempt to spin this as Orci "lying". He didn't, no Area 51 in that trailer description which he outright said was false and he was correct of course.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 08:10 PM   #101
Franklin
Rear Admiral

blockaderunner said:
Kpnuts said:
Constructed on Earth eh? There's something I wasn't expecting.

Why is that such a big deal among Trekkies? Because it violates their precious canon? Boo hoo. Seagoing vessels aren't built in the water. If Starfleet has the capability to build a ship that crosses the galaxy, then it shouldn't be a problem for it to escape the gravity of Earth once it's completed. Give it a rest.
Well, you can't build a ship in the water because, well, it just wouldn't work.

However, large-scale construction in space is already a feasible concept in this day and age. Blast up the components and go for it.

The only way constructing the ENTIRE ship on the ground would make sense is if there were some anti-gravity device on the ship that compensates for its mass and especially it's lack of an aerodynamic shape. (Kinda like how some non-aerodynamic combat planes today are kept in the air by computers.)
Perhaps that's what shuttlecraft have, or Klingon birds of prey, or it's how Voyager was able to land, and it's why the saucer of Enterprise-D didn't drop like a rock. Maybe that's even what the mothership had in "Close Encounters".

There'd have to be some sort of technology to prevent the ship from experiencing the loads placed on it by gravity, even while being constructed. Loads it won't experience in space.
Are we to believe the neck on the Enterprise is strong enough to support the saucer's weight in 1 g, and the struts can support the engines? If so, since it's going to spend its life in space, that would be overengineering it in my book.

Not building in space can be explained away. But building in space needs far less rationalization, and in-universe it seems a far more efficient method of assembly in the long run.
Old January 16 2008, 08:22 PM   #102
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Sharr Khan said:
I was always at a loss for the San Fransisco "ship yards" thing - since, ah couldn't see how or why they would call an orbital facility "San Fransisco Ship" yards. This kinda explains that. Its actually on Earth.
Sharr
Sorry if this gives me a double post.

I don't really have a problem with the whole SF Ship Yards thing.
-- Could be the builders are based in SF and only work in outer space.
-- Could be the Yard pre-fabs work on the ground then sends it up to its space facility in orbit for final assembly.
-- Most planes and ships today are built in multiple factories that may be 100s or 1000s of miles away from each other. Could be the SF Yard coordinated the whole thing. Or was the place to which the components were sent before final assembly.
-- It could be the term "ship yard" is a hold-over from the naval years and now refers to any place where starships are built, in space or otherwise. In the same way that we still "dial" phones.
Old January 16 2008, 08:33 PM   #103
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Guys, guys, guys. It's a trailer. What we see in a trailer doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the final film. Example:

Now was Voyager or any Intrepid-class starship in the final cut of First Contact? Heck no.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 08:47 PM   #104
davejames
Vice Admiral

Franklin said:
There'd have to be some sort of technology to prevent the ship from experiencing the loads placed on it by gravity, even while being constructed. Loads it won't experience in space.
Are we to believe the neck on the Enterprise is strong enough to support the saucer's weight in 1 g, and the struts can support the engines? If so, since it's going to spend its life in space, that would be overengineering it in my book.

On the flip side, one could argue that if the design couldn't withstand the simple force of gravity, it wouldn't handle the multitude of OTHER stresses in space much better.

Hell, if the neck was really THAT weak, every enemy ship they encountered would be focusing their firepower on just that one area. The reason they don't is probably because they realize those supports aren't as weak as they look.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 08:50 PM   #105
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

ancient said:
I'm glad about the aircraft-like nacelles, that means they haven't gone and done some square-nacelle bullshit. Yay for the original roundies.
Keep in mind that we will likely be seeing the "guts" of the nacelle, not the finished outer shell, so it may look entirely different when we see the final product.

If anything, I'm sure they went out of their way as much as possible to NOT show us the finished product, both in order to tease us and because they probably hadn't finalized the look of the Enterprise exterior at that point.