Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 13 2008, 11:56 PM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: No reason the current cast couldn't do a TV series.

Kegek said:
But, to be similarly blunt, Whedon's antics bore me to tears.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

As a writer about human beings and based upon his work up to this point, Whedon interests me a good deal more than anyone associated with the upcoming Trek film.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 12:01 AM   #32
Plum
Rear Admiral

Yea, gotta say that Whedon is a wonderful genre writer. I'm not aware of any 'antics' from Whedon.
Old January 14 2008, 12:04 AM   #33
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Kegek said:
Starship Polaris said:jms' work in this vein has been derivative - to be kind.
True. I read his proposal, it was more or less Babylon 5 reworked as a Star Trek pitch, complete with the mystery as to why Kirk had been made a commander (a la Sheridan) and some ancient alien evil (a la the Shadows).

But, to be similarly blunt, Whedon's antics bore me to tears. His characters run the gamut from lame humour to syrupy angst.

Perhaps a better comparison is Abrams himself. He's been pretty successful as a producer of his own TV ideas, such as Lost, and he's gone on to make a Star Trek movie. If given the kind of freedom he has with the film, I wouldn't be surprised if a past hypothetical TV writer and/or producer of quality is interested.

Perhaps, if a series is to come immediately from this film at all, it'd be through Abrams' collaborators. Orci & Kurtzmann? Lindelof? I don't know.
Well, I despised the take the JMS came up with for a "rebooted universe" Star Trek... not because I didn't think it could make for good storytelling, though. I hated it because it fundamentally altered KNOWN THINGS in an attempt to turn them into something else.

Now, take the JMS proposal, but excise each and every reference to "Kirk, Spock, McCoy, the Enterprise," etc, etc. Replace that with new characters, and set it POST TNG (which does make sense, since only a small number of people in the galaxy really know about the progenitor bit we saw in ... wasn't it called "The Chase?"). And have this guy basically assigned to track down mysteries concerning this mysterious progenitor race.

Everything that JMS came up with, in THAT setting, would work beautifully... without requiring us to pretend it's "another universe" or whatever.

THAT is what I hated about his proposal. Not the root concepts of the type of story he wanted to tell.

Oh, and Kegek... it was SINCLAIR who had the mystery associated with him. Sheridan was no mystery at all.. he was supposed to be "Earthgov's man" and was supposed to piss the Minbari off... hence the irony that he's the guy who overthrew Clark and ended up living on Minbar.

Personally, I LOVE Babylon 5. Yes, we know that some folks don't... personal opinion and all that.

There's a solution to all of this, though. And it goes back to what was suggested earlier.

We're all thinking in terms of "ongoing series" but there's no real reason to do so. I'd rather have a quarterly "Trek movie-of-the-week," each one done by a different creative team (and you could have multiple shows filming at once, since each would be a dramatically different story).

Sort of a semi-annual-installment-plan ANTHOLOGY.

Wheadon, or JMS, or ANYONE ELSE might have a "go" at it. But they'd be there just for one presentation, then the next guy gets HIS shot.

I think that would work for a few years, don't you?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 12:13 AM   #34
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Cary L. Brown said:
Oh, and Kegek... it was SINCLAIR who had the mystery associated with him.
My mistake. I get them confused sometimes, Sheridan is essentially Sinclair Lite.

Starship Polaris said:
Whedon interests me a good deal more than anyone associated with the upcoming Trek film.
They don't interest me either, for what it's worth.

To be fair on Whedon, I caught Serenity on TV and, whatever my problems with the film, it held my attention... which is more than I can say of Mission Impossible III.

If he was involved in some Trek project I'd give it a chance, but I wouldn't be rooting for him.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 12:15 AM   #35
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

I love B5 and most of JMS run on Spider-Man, but his idea for a Star Trek reboot didn't sit well with me. The most important reason is that he seemed too interested in making it JMS-Trek rather than Star Trek produced by JMS. Though he may not have liked the 24th century shows, the least he could admit was that they further solidified a universe that offers a lot of possibilities for storyteling. No need to throw that away with the rest of the garbage. You can set your Star Trek show in the 'existing' 24th century and keep references to the other shows to a minimum, the old-time fans will be pleased and you can do almost everything you want at the same time.

Star Trek is bigger than just one producer's vision.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 12:22 AM   #36
Plum
Rear Admiral

You know... I once watched a B5 marathon one New Years... 6 hours... I wanted to claw my eyes out afterward.

And I AM interested in JJ Abram's Star Trek just as much as any young creative force. I might be more inclined to, say, Whedon, but I still am excited JJ and his crew are doing Trek.
Old January 14 2008, 12:45 AM   #37
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Kegek said:
So you'd better cross your fingers and pray for a moderate success.
Mediocrity is what I aim for everyday! :thumbsup:
Old January 14 2008, 12:56 AM   #38
Plum
Rear Admiral

That I believe.
Old January 14 2008, 01:21 AM   #39
stj
Rear Admiral

It is too soon to regard Lost as an artistic success (you have to see the end of a serial to tell that,) much less the new Trek movie. And why ever is there a a young, McCoy, young Scotty, young Uhura and young Chekhov? Slash was invented to explain how Kirk and Spock got to be such friends. That's the only interesting character backstory. The whole thing sounds like an abortion.
Old January 14 2008, 01:25 AM   #40
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
Relax it's just a revamping of an old franchise. It's Hollywoodland, not exactly cutting edge.

Sure, I miss the days when Trek was written by crack sci-fi writers of the age, Harlen Ellison, Norman Spinrad, Theodore Sturgeon (not to mention Desilu's best TV guys), but those days are gone man.
Old January 14 2008, 01:42 AM   #41
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

I'm confused by these comments.
stj said:It is too soon to regard Lost as an artistic success (you have to see the end of a serial to tell that,) much less the new Trek movie.
1) re: Lost "not being a success 'til it's done." I don't think that's how it works. It's a success if lots of people watch it, if advertisers pay top-dollar to advertise on it, if it keeps bringing in more money than it costs to make (including all overhead).

By that argument, Lost has definitely been successful. Whether it has a satisfying finale means NOTHING, unless you're trying to be an art critic. Don't believe me? Look at the finale to "The Sopranos." The fact that people universally seem to hate the series wrap-up doesn't mean that the show wasn't a success, does it?
And why ever is there a a young, McCoy, young Scotty, young Uhura and young Chekhov?
Well, look at the ages of the actors. And bear in mind that we ALREADY KNOW, CONCLUSIVELY, that this film is set in multiple timeframes. All the presence of these characters means is that we'll see them, perhaps very briefly, at some point in the film. It in NO WAY tells us that we'll see them throughout the entire film.

Perhaps there's going to be a short section of the film... mere minutes' worth of screen time... set during TOS. And you've got actors playing Uhura, Chekov, Sulu, and Scotty present on the bridge during that brief vignette.

As for McCoy, well... the actor playing the part is VERY suitable to play McCoy at roughly the same age as we saw him in TOS, as well as several years younger... he has a very similar facial structure to De Kelley, and although he's more muscular than Kelley ever was, that's not really a problem, I think, if he can get the vocal patterns and mannerisms reasonably close. Remember... De Kelley as we saw him in the later films was pretty old... go back and watch TOS episodes, without being too flavored by how he had aged, and you might be surprised by the comparison.

So we may see McCoy in that hypothetical brief scene set during TOS... and may also see a lot of him well before then. Don't jump to too many conclusions.
Slash was invented to explain how Kirk and Spock got to be such friends. That's the only interesting character backstory. The whole thing sounds like an abortion.
Okay... THIS part just seriously freaks me out.

Are you suggesting that Kirk and Spock had to be having sex to be friends???

I sure hope you don't buy into that attitude... that's sorta creepy.

I dunno about you, but in MY life, I find it quite easy to be close to people without necessarily having any interest in having sex with them. I think that most healthy people think that way.

For someone to suggest that two men can't be close friends, and care about each other, unless they're buggering each other... that's just INCREDIBLE.

To me, that attitude implies that it's not really "caring about each other" at all... but pure selfishness. Damned nearly the OPPOSITE of truly caring about someone. "I like this person because I experience physical pleasure with them." Hell, if that's the case... prostitutes should be the most beloved people on the planet, huh?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2008, 02:19 AM   #42
ncc-1017-e
Captain

No new TV series!
Old January 14 2008, 02:20 AM   #43
Plum
Rear Admiral

Why not!
Old January 14 2008, 03:15 AM   #44
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Oh I feel perfectly relaxed. The people racing off to cast the new TV series seem a tad overexcited.
Old January 14 2008, 03:25 AM   #45
Plum
Rear Admiral

That would be me! I started this thread!