RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,654
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 569
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 13 2008, 10:01 PM   #16
Plum
Rear Admiral

Re: No reason the current cast couldn't do a TV series.

^^^
Oh, a new TNG era show. That's a thought. But without B&B in the picture (they would have loads of royalties, I reckon) that option might not be very attractive to the studio. Just guessing.

EDIT - Thought you meant 24th Century, oops. My brain... not... tzzt...
Old January 13 2008, 10:45 PM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Unless the series utilized characters invented by Berman or Braga or any of the other writers of 24th century Trek they wouldn't be owed residuals. One doesn't get paid for the setting.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 11:05 PM   #18
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Besides, if I can cite historical precedent, I think the most logical possibility for a TV show would be a different cast. That being, of course, the inception of TNG following the success of TVH.

Personally, though, I doubt Trek will return to TV in the near future. It'll just be a series of films, hopefully good and hopefully successful... and that's fine by me.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 11:06 PM   #19
Plum
Rear Admiral

Yea, I've no idea what they would be entitled too.
Old January 13 2008, 11:09 PM   #20
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Give Whedon or the folks who did "Farscape" budgets equivalent to what's spent on junk like "Stargate" and let them produce a TOS-era version of "Star Trek" for the SCI-FI Channel.

The thing would inevitably pull better ratings than BSG or "Stargate" - even if only a single ratings point - and make everyone involved happy.

The flaw in that plan, of course, is that those kind of creative folks would always be more interested in their own original concepts than in taking over "Star Trek."
Old January 13 2008, 11:09 PM   #21
Holytomato
Fleet Captain

A miniseries or a tv movie every month would be great. However, Star Wars will have 2 tv series. Keep Star Trek on the silver screen. Digital 3D IMAX. :thumbsup:
Holytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 11:18 PM   #22
Plum
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris said:
Give Whedon or the folks who did "Farscape" budgets equivalent to what's spent on junk like "Stargate" and let them produce a TOS-era version of "Star Trek" for the SCI-FI Channel.

The thing would inevitably pull better ratings than BSG or "Stargate" - even if only a single ratings point - and make everyone involved happy.

The flaw in that plan, of course, is that those kind of creative folks would always be more interested in their own original concepts than in taking over "Star Trek."
Yes, I'm thinking of a scenario not far from this. I doubt JJ will wanna do TV by then, I think he's more interested in directing, however I would be thrilled to see Orci be the show runner. I think he'd be thrilled too.
Old January 13 2008, 11:22 PM   #23
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris said:Unless the series utilized characters invented by Berman or Braga or any of the other writers of 24th century Trek they wouldn't be owed residuals. One doesn't get paid for the setting.
Yeah, I'm having a tough time imagining what unique contributions Berman may have come up with that can't be done without.

He was, ultimately, a BUSINESS MANAGER, not a creative type. So I'm actually somewhat inclined to give Berman more slack than some of the other folks... he wasn't, really supposed to be the "sci-fi-visionary," was he?

Braga, and yes MOORE, I blame for a number of things, though. IMHO, if it hadn't been for Pillar's influence, TNG would have never been as good as it was. I think Michael Pillar was really the guy who kept mid-run TNG on a good storytelling track.

Feel free to disagree, of course.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 11:26 PM   #24
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris said:

Agreed.

But give them a "non-remake" option... tell them that they're setting a new show in an existing world, but that they can make up new characters and situations, provided that they just don't contradict the (honestly) SMALL amount of continuity that exists in Trekdom... and otherwise, give them a FREE HAND.

It'd LOVE to see what some fresh takes on different situations in the Star Trek milleau would produce.

I think that the general audience would enjoy it, too. FAR more than they'd enjoy "more of the same ol' same ol" which is what's GENERALLY being discussed if someone talks about a "new TOS series with the new Kirk, Spock, etc," I think.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 11:28 PM   #25
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Starship Polaris said:
Though it's extremely unlikely, would you like it if Manny Coto was given another chance at bat, with the possibility of more scripts from writers like the Reeves-Stevens and Mike Sussman? He would be creating a whole new series, not a continuation of Enterprise.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 11:31 PM   #26
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Cary L. Brown said:
But give them a "non-remake" option... tell them that they're setting a new show in an existing world, but that they can make up new characters and situations, provided that they just don't contradict the (honestly) SMALL amount of continuity that exists in Trekdom... and otherwise, give them a FREE HAND.
That would be the best scenario, I think. Let them do their own thing within the Trek universe, but keep it within the Trek universe.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 11:32 PM   #27
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Cary L. Brown said:
Braga, and yes MOORE, I blame for a number of things, though. IMHO, if it hadn't been for Pillar's influence, TNG would have never been as good as it was. I think Michael Pillar was really the guy who kept mid-run TNG on a good storytelling track.
Completely. He turned the show around in the third season, and brought in guys like Ron Moore, Ira Steven Behr, Naren Shankar, and Brannon Braga. Piller deserves a lot of credit.

As far as the Farscape guys go... I suspect, if given creative freedom and the option to be showrunners of a show they create (which has an inbuilt fanbase to boot), it wouldn't be such a bad prospect. If JMS was chomping at the bit for an opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised if they or others of reasonable talent can be interested.

- All About Eve.
Old January 13 2008, 11:32 PM   #28
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
I tend to agree about Pillar.

oooh, yes, get Manny involved. Good call.
Old January 13 2008, 11:43 PM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Kegek said:
As far as the Farscape guys go... I suspect, if given creative freedom and the option to be showrunners of a show they create (which has an inbuilt fanbase to boot), it wouldn't be such a bad prospect. If JMS was chomping at the bit for an opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised if they or others of reasonable talent can be interested.
jms' work in this vein has been derivative - to be kind. I don't rank him anywhere nearly as highly as the "Farscape" folks or Whedon either as a writer or producer. I'm not too surprised that he'd want Trek, nor was his proposal for a Trek series any better than the mediocrity one would expect from his previous space opera shows.
Old January 13 2008, 11:53 PM   #30
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris said:
jms' work in this vein has been derivative - to be kind.
True. I read his proposal, it was more or less Babylon 5 reworked as a Star Trek pitch, complete with the mystery as to why Kirk had been made a commander (a la Sheridan) and some ancient alien evil (a la the Shadows).

But, to be similarly blunt, Whedon's antics bore me to tears. His characters run the gamut from lame humour to syrupy angst.

Perhaps a better comparison is Abrams himself. He's been pretty successful as a producer of his own TV ideas, such as Lost, and he's gone on to make a Star Trek movie. If given the kind of freedom he has with the film, I wouldn't be surprised if a past hypothetical TV writer and/or producer of quality is interested.

Perhaps, if a series is to come immediately from this film at all, it'd be through Abrams' collaborators. Orci & Kurtzmann? Lindelof? I don't know.

- All About Eve.