RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,701
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 407
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 13 2008, 06:05 AM   #46
misskim86
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to misskim86
Re: New to Star Trek

Clay bumps on the head...wins
Old January 13 2008, 06:15 AM   #47
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

misskim86 said:
Yes and first season of DS9 too sadly. Still watch ALL of it. Do NOT skip episodes
Unless you get to, say, Babel, and think "well THAT sucked." In that case, skip away!

But if you like Babel, then you might as well see em all. Rest assured that there's little in the first season that you need to watch simply for the sake of the storyline. The good episodes I mentioned are also the storyline-important episodes. The show doesn't get into serialization bigtime till later seasons.

If watching paint dry is a plot, then yeah it has a plot.
If paint drying was as exciting as DS9, I'd be buying stock in Sherman-Williams! People could throw away their TVs and just slap on a new coat every evening.

The only reason to watch TNG first is so you can appreciate how much better DS9 is than it. Seriously, I've tried watching TNG - erg. Has NOT aged well. Even the non-sucky seasons are kind of painful.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2008, 06:20 AM   #48
clint g
Admiral

Joining this party a little late but id suggest watching trek in the order it aired. This way you kinda get the feel of what it was like to watch first run without the pesky commercials or waiting a few weeks. Also, don't forget the movies!
Old January 13 2008, 07:41 AM   #49
Thrall
Commodore

misskim86 said:
Clay bumps on the head...wins
That's yet another thing DS9 has going for it. With the exception of The Bajorans, the aliens on that show actually look like aliens for the most part.

The only reason to watch TNG first is so you can appreciate how much better DS9 is than it. Seriously, I've tried watching TNG - erg. Has NOT aged well. Even the non-sucky seasons are kind of painful.
I have a fondness for Next Gen because I grew up with it. It still looks good. But compared to TOS or DS9 it's so light and fluffy and the obsession with political correctness really hurts it. There were times I thought the characters were just going to sit down and hug each other for an hour. This was the point where Roddenberry had become a complete pacifist weenie and turned a military organization like Starfleet into the Peace Corps in Space. I realize that the idealistic future is the point, but I just don't think that having a setting that perfect makes for good drama. Good Sci Fi perhaps. But not drama. Strictly imho though. Feel free to disagree.
Old January 14 2008, 12:13 AM   #50
kobeyashi maru
Fleet Captain

You've already got more advice than you can handle, but I'd recommend starting by sampling episodes of TNG and TOS.

Neither show is very arc-based. There are some ongoing storylines in TNG, but you can tune into any episode from any season and be just fine. You don't need to know any character backstories to get it or anything. TNG is basically the template of all the shows that followed, so it'll give you a good sense of what Trek is like.

Then you can check out some TOS episodes. Obviously, since it's the first, TNG takes its cues from here. But since it's much older, it's also more dated, so if you see TNG first it might be easier to swallow. And you can see how the story telling evolved between the two. Also, every episode is completely standalone, much moreso than TNG, so you can sample from any point in the series and be just fine.

Get a sense of what those two shows are like. These are basically the purest forms of Trek; they're both a ship called Enterprise exploring the universe. The subsequent series had to find different twists to distinguish themselves.

When you watch DS9, try to watch it in order, since for the most part, it tries to tell an ongoing story.

With Voyager, watch the pilot to get a sense of what the show was supposed to be about. After that, don't worry about continuity; it's inconsistent. There's less of an overall story, so you can basically pick up any episode, like TOS and TNG.

ENT is kind of similar to VOY--at least for the first two seasons, you can just watch any episode. The third season is intended to be a full arc though, and I'm not as familiar with the fourth season, except that it's the one that tries really hard to do its job as a prequel, so it's probably better to see it after you're familiar with all the other shows.

Also, make sure you watch all the movies, especially the TOS ones.
Old January 15 2008, 08:07 PM   #51
Louis
Ensign

I thank you all for your advice and opinion.
Just in case you're wondering what my final choice is - I ended up purchasing TNG season 1 from Amazon, so it should come soon! It was a tough tie between The Next Generation and TOS, but after watching First Contact, and Patrick Stewart being one of my favorite actors, it only seemed natural. I'm aware the first season isn't the strongest, but I'm prepared!

I'd also like to check out DS9 sometime too.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2008, 08:29 PM   #52
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

If You liked First Contact, then I highly recommend DS9 from Series 3-7, Its a wide range I know, but imo, All these series have the range of humour, drama and action most like what you get from First Contact.

(But yeah, TNG 3-4 cliffhanger, Best of Both Worlds, kinda pointless seeing as you've seen FC, but its still a fantastic episode thats just drenched in excellence :P)
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2008, 08:48 PM   #53
misskim86
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to misskim86

Great choice, and just to hammer in the point again, when you watch DS9 watch it from episode 1 to the last one, and don't worry, the first and second season tries too hard to be TNG on a space station, from season 3 it's one of the best show's on tv-period, BUT season 1 and 2 ARE important do not not not skip anything

And Try very hard to watch TNG from start to finish aswell, while there might not be such a big story arc, the friendships developed etc are clearly being developed.
Old January 15 2008, 10:53 PM   #54
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I'm glad we were able to help and I hope you enjoy getting into this!

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2008, 01:06 AM   #55
kobeyashi maru
Fleet Captain

I think you made a good choice, Louis. Have you thought about what you'll watch next? I'd recommend TOS Season 1 or 2. It might be fun to get to know the original Enterprise after you've spent some time with the Big D.
Old January 17 2008, 02:16 AM   #56
Spockula
Lieutenant

Louis,

As a child of the eighties, I'd suggest you start with the ol' Genesis trilogy:

ST 2: The Wrath of Kahn
ST 3: Search for Spock
ST 4: The Voyage Home

Those three movies can be watched with no Star Trek frame of reference, and if you don't like them, then you probably don't like Star Trek.
Old January 17 2008, 05:50 AM   #57
indranee
Vice Admiral

Louis, ignore everyone here and watch Galaxy Quest FIRST. then watch Free Enterprise. and then watch The Final Frontier.

(sorry, GQ fans, it's a great movie)

my point? after that, you'll breeze through the snorefests that were the first two seasons of both TNG and DS9.

(that said, my absolute favorite Trek episode is actually from DS9's first season: Duet).
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote