RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 476
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old December 27 2007, 06:19 PM   #31
mvkemp
Rear Admiral

Re: What would have improved Voyager?

I really enjoyed Voyager but there are some things I would have done differently. First off, the Kazon would have been an afterthought after the premiere, well, maybe a few episodes in. Control of Voyager would have have gone back and forth between Federation and Maquis a couple of times. See some shifting loyalties depending on external circumstances with great threats like Year of Hell uniting the ship to get out of that. And not necessarily an enemy, but an anti-hero type of coalition similar to the Federation but just off enough to where Starfleet and the Maquis crews have a vastly different approach to dealing with them, but it would take Voyager a long time to get through the territory. These are just some ideas I had thought of, maybe not very good, but I thought they could have had some very interesting story lines.

"Even Richard Nixon knew it was time to resign." KO
Old December 27 2007, 10:13 PM   #32
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

kenobi just excellently plotted the series bible if it was a Klingon ship lost in the Delta Quadrant.

Jeri Taylor decided that Suder was unwriteable because he was not morally redeemable. I doubt she could have handled a full crew of scum and villianry?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Old December 28 2007, 10:55 AM   #33
STIntergalactic
Captain

View STIntergalactic's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to STIntergalactic Send a message via Yahoo to STIntergalactic

What would have improved Voyager?
Two words...

Captain Kirk
Old December 28 2007, 11:41 AM   #34
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Scroll up. I already almost said that exactly and they pooh poohed the notion completely.

Old December 29 2007, 02:56 AM   #35
Akiraprise

SantaKirk said:
What would have improved Voyager?
Two words...

Captain Kirk
Yeah, but then they would have had to name the show Star Trek: Enterprise. We saw how well that went.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Old December 29 2007, 03:46 AM   #36
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Who on Enterprise acted like Kirk except maybe Porthos?

Old December 29 2007, 02:16 PM   #37
Cyclopean
Lieutenant

Here are ten ideas that don't totally destroy the show as it was presented.

1. Make Janeway a true Ahab character, who's more in the background and whose decisions are very inscrutable to the crew.
2. Consequently, make Chakotay the shoulder that everyone leans on--- one thing that Beltran plays well.
3. Have a number of the crew abandon ship after "The 37s."
4. Introduce new crewmembers to replace those lost crewmen and busts like Neelix, Kes, and Torres.
5. Have Janeway found a new Federation in the Delta Quadrant... not to bring peace to the Kazons and Trabe, et al, but to surreptitiously extend Voyager's ability to search for ways home.
6. Make Harry Kim a human being.
7. Pit Tuvok and Chakotay against each other on a regular basis. Tuvok's mordant wit was underused on this show.
8. Make Tom Paris a true ne'er-do-well. His insubordination in season two should have been real, not feigned.
9. Have a story arc with Janeway's Devoran love interest. They had some chemistry and he should have been in at least 5 episodes.
10. Seska should have returned to Voyager as a vital member of the crew, AFTER betraying the ship. She was too good to kill off so easily, and the dumb production staff knew it.

And now a bonus suggestion...

11. Seven of Nine should have decided to return to the Collective late in the final season.
Old December 30 2007, 09:37 AM   #38
Anubis
Lieutenant Commander

Two things. Either they should have fully embraced the concept of being stranded and having to survive (see Galactica), or come up with a different concept.
Old December 30 2007, 07:30 PM   #39
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I don't see why it had to be like Galactica.

I mean, Farscape dealt with someone stranded far from home and it's not like Galactica.
Old December 30 2007, 10:40 PM   #40
Anubis
Lieutenant Commander

Farscape dealt with a handful of people. We're talking about a crew of 150. I just felt their needs for water, food, sleep, you name it, was not addressed enough. I'm not saying it has to be all dark like Galactica.
Old December 30 2007, 11:13 PM   #41
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Compare Seska an engineer who had been working around transporters and replicators all her life, given a few months head start to furrow away all the convenient technology she needed to be the messiah to the kazon pulling them up by their boot straps to a completely different weight class, but she "doesn't" and then now and then makes a grab at Voyager when dala was able acquire everything in 2 seconds using a core dump on her tricorder while the hedgehogs back was turned... TO Scorpius cutting Crichton's scull cap off, removing half his brain to get at a spidercancerlike robot drone that had been threading around in there acting as the home for a "Head Scorpius" who'd been tormenting John for 2 years in a battle of wit and distraction to yield the secret of wormhole weapons... And then like an Oded back ally hooker, John's left there to die while the credits roll for the end of season.

Even with muppets, Farscape was plenty dark.

Old December 30 2007, 11:20 PM   #42
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The replicators solved their food/water needs, the ship had enough room for everyone, and they took the power they needed from stars they passed by.

Sure, we didn't see each and every moment but it's reasonable that's how it went. They weren't as ill-prepared as the Colonials were.
Old December 31 2007, 12:45 AM   #43
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Untrue. The Galactica was super prepared.

Having to look after the civilian fleet ruined their estimates about what they needed?

Voyager wouldn't have lasted a week with another 47 thousand people acting out as dependents, however there were a couple episodes where Voyager had run down on a single vital element like in "Resistance".

Clinton was President, it was a happier time to be an American in America.

Old December 31 2007, 07:41 AM   #44
Anubis
Lieutenant Commander

Guy Gardener said:
That may best illustrate their differences, honestly.
Old December 31 2007, 03:12 PM   #45
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener said:

I agree.