RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,452
Posts: 5,508,433
Members: 25,132
Currently online: 531
Newest member: Commander Balok

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 18 2008, 04:54 PM   #286
Valen
Cadet
 
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

1) Caretaker part 1 should have been the season fanalie of Season 1. Killing off the XO, Doctor and Chief engieneer all at once would have been a big shock.

2) The caretaker had spent months bringing in ships from throughout the galaxy. We should have encountered more of them. The Seska storyline would have been more interesting if it were a Cardassian capital ship that was trying to make alliances and trade technology with the locals. Perhaps groups from similar parts of the galaxy might form fleets to go back home. Voyager could join such a fleet that might include: The Equinox, a Romulan Ship, Tholian ship, maquis ship.

2) Either Nelix, Kes and seven needed to wear Star Fleet uniforms, or the Maquis didn't.

3) Kes should have aged 10 years for each season. Havinf children and grandchildren along the way. I'll bet her biological clock going off would be alot more urgent than pon far!

4) More than one, indian, vulcan and bajoran.

5) The science officer should be higher ranked than an ensign!

6) Harry should have been the borg crew member instead of Barbie of Borg! He should have been an assimilated borg acting as ambassidor/spy for the collective. Being assimilated should be essential for his health due to the 8472 infection.

7) No borg queen! The queen destroys what make the borg unique and scary!

Chakotay's spirituality should not have been forgotten.

9) a post coming home season so we could see what happened to them.
Valen is offline  
Old January 18 2008, 05:09 PM   #287
Angel4576
Rear Admiral
 
Angel4576's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

^^ You've obviously not heard of The Changeling, Borrowed Lives, World War Z and They Marched into Sunlight. Clint Eastwood's directing The Changeling, Angelina Jolie will be starring in it. World War Z is being produced by Brad Pitt, no casting news yet, and They Marched into Sunlight will be directed by Paul Greengrass.

Not bad for someone 'stuck doing comics'. Comics have always been an important medium for JMS, that's not likely to change anytime soon, whether he's producing feature scripts or not.

Then, of course, there's the likely second volume of The Lost Tales as well. The first set exceeded all expectations laid down by WBs. Granted, those expectations wouldn't have been as strenuous as those probably in mind for the next Trek movie, but seriously, when was the last time Trek actually exceeded expectations on any level?

The man only had one creative project in his head for what is now close to two decades.
Which one might that be? B5? Jeremiah? Rising Stars? Supreme Power? Spider-man? Any of his feature work?

An odd statement when we're talking about the virtues of one Rick Berman, who was stuck on Trek for what? Oh, nearly two decades.

You be sure to let me know when Berman's got a feature coming out
__________________
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One.
Angel4576 is offline  
Old January 18 2008, 05:23 PM   #288
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

Angel4576 said:
^^ You've obviously not heard of The Changeling, Borrowed Lives, World War Z and They Marched into Sunlight. Clint Eastwood's directing The Changeling, Angelina Jolie will be starring in it. World War Z is being produced by Brad Pitt, no casting news yet, and They Marched into Sunlight will be directed by Paul Greengrass.

Not bad for someone 'stuck doing comics'. Comics have always been an important medium for JMS, that's not likely to change anytime soon, whether he's producing feature scripts or not.

Then, of course, there's the likely second volume of The Lost Tales as well. The first set exceeded all expectations laid down by WBs. Granted, those expectations wouldn't have been as strenuous as those probably in mind for the next Trek movie, but seriously, when was the last time Trek actually exceeded expectations on any level?

The man only had one creative project in his head for what is now close to two decades.
Which one might that be? B5? Jeremiah? Rising Stars? Supreme Power? Spider-man? Any of his feature work?

An odd statement when we're talking about the virtues of one Rick Berman, who was stuck on Trek for what? Oh, nearly two decades.

You be sure to let me know when Berman's got a feature coming out
So you know JMS's career like the back or your hand but don't understand the business & personal reasons why B&B stayed at a job they were getting paid well for or why they couldn't afford to leave?

I'm pretty sure you've seen Berman's work & probably own much of it too.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old January 18 2008, 05:40 PM   #289
Angel4576
Rear Admiral
 
Angel4576's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

TNG and DS9-wise, yep, but I wouldn't necessarily credit that to Berman. Certainly not why I've bought any of it. Straczynski's work, I'm always inclined to check it out. I may end up not liking it, but there's a decent chance I will. Berman, hard to say, Star Trek aside, is there that much? Particularly in the modern era?

Re Berman's motives for not leaving. Surely there's a business case to preserve your reputation, particularly in the field of work that he's in. Sticking with Enterprise to the bitter end's not exactly enamoured him to the industry, and by the looks of it, the offers don't appear to have been flooding in.
__________________
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One.
Angel4576 is offline  
Old January 18 2008, 05:51 PM   #290
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

Angel4576 said:
TNG and DS9-wise, yep, but I wouldn't necessarily credit that to Berman.
Well, you should because he still produced both and co-created DS9.

None of us are professionals within the industry to say how he is viewed within it. The reasons why he isn't working are only known to him. Dealing with Paramount and zealous Trek fans, I wouldn't be surprised if the man had a nervous breakdown.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old January 18 2008, 07:34 PM   #291
Angel4576
Rear Admiral
 
Angel4576's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

exodus said:
Dealing with Paramount and zealous Trek fans, I wouldn't be surprised if the man had a nervous breakdown.
Poetic if he'd gone schizo with an uzi at Paramount HQ!
__________________
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One.
Angel4576 is offline  
Old January 18 2008, 08:12 PM   #292
Kegek
Rear Admiral
 
Kegek's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere You're Not
Re: What would have improved Voyager?


Angel4576 said:
Which one might that be? B5? Jeremiah?

From what I've heard, his Jeremiah had a lot of thematic rehashs of B5. What I know for sure is that his Star Trek pitch did. You can mock Berman, but he was the only TNG producer there from beginning to end (being executive most of the time too), and he was both co-creator of DS9 and the only executive producer from beginning to end. Two shows, seven seasons - that's already more than JMS when it comes to JMS's good work.
__________________
"Tell me this, do they have auditions for television?"
"That's all television is, my dear - nothing but auditions."

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline  
Old January 18 2008, 08:34 PM   #293
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

Kegek said:

Angel4576 said:
Which one might that be? B5? Jeremiah?

From what I've heard, his Jeremiah had a lot of thematic rehashs of B5. What I know for sure is that his Star Trek pitch did. You can mock Berman, but he was the only TNG producer there from beginning to end (being executive most of the time too), and he was both co-creator of DS9 and the only executive producer from beginning to end. Two shows, seven seasons - that's already more than JMS when it comes to JMS's good work.
Take that , Spider-man!!!!
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old January 18 2008, 10:30 PM   #294
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

Jerimiah was originally a comic book written by some one else. JMS has been burning bridges with a little tirade across the internet over his departure from Amazing Spider-Man. His Thor comic, number 7 came out a week back and it's losing it's sparkle. Though he's just began some thing called "The 12" which shows promise of TRYING to be the new Watchmen. So, he's not completely done with Marvel.

Besides captain power and the soldiers of the Future, as well as the real Ghost Busters were both excellent efforts at vision from JMS... i haven't looked at his bio in a decade
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now  
Old January 18 2008, 11:08 PM   #295
Akiraprise
Moderator
 
Akiraprise's Avatar
 
Re: What would have improved Voyager?

Since nobody wants to remain on topic, after being asked to a couple of times, this thread is closed.

Feel free to start a new one in General Trek.
__________________
"Surely I have made my meaning plain. I mean to avenge myself upon you Admiral. I've deprived your ship of power and when I swing around I mean to deprive you of your life. But I wanted you to know first who it was who had beaten you." - The Khan formerly known as...Khan
Akiraprise is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.