RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,185
Posts: 5,345,200
Members: 24,603
Currently online: 695
Newest member: localyokel

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 16 2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

People,

Although I'm a long-time ST fan, there are a few eps of the series I've never seen. Missed most of ENT's third and some of the fourth season, as well as some later DSN and VOY eps. Until yesterday, there was a first season VOY ep I'd never seen: "Faces," where B'Elanna was "split" into her human and Klingon halves. I actually watched it on YouTube.

The pseudo-science behind it seemed rather preposterous, and it evoked shades of the TOS ep, "The Enemy Within." But it was a fascinating metaphor for the kind of internal struggle most people go through when trying to make a decision by either gut instinct or reasoned intellect. Overall, I did like the episode.

Roxann Biggs-Dawson is quite a striking woman as a full human, but strangely, I found her to be even more attractive as a full Klingon. I think she was actually the hottest full-Klingon woman ever in ST. Call me weird.

Another thing I didn't quite understand: How did extracting the Klingon DNA and placing it back in the fully human B'Elanna "revert" her back to her hybrid status? That confused the hell out of me.

Anyone want to take a stab at that? Thanks.

Red Ranger
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Kegek
Rear Admiral
 
Kegek's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere You're Not
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

I liked this episode, but as far as the science goes; just accept, as with "The Enemy Within", that science is just being used as a substitute for magic as two halves of a personality are split and recombined. I think it's one of the best episodes in S1; has a genuinely creepy Vidiian villain, and generally a good performance from Dawson as both halves.
__________________
"Tell me this, do they have auditions for television?"
"That's all television is, my dear - nothing but auditions."

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

Kegek said:
I liked this episode, but as far as the science goes; just accept, as with "The Enemy Within", that science is just being used as a substitute for magic as two halves of a personality are split and recombined. I think it's one of the best episodes in S1; has a genuinely creepy Vidiian villain, and generally a good performance from Dawson as both halves.
Kegek,

Yeah, I guess I should just suspend my disbelief! We are talking about a ship rraveling on the other side of the galaxy! Who knows if even fastter-than-light travel is even possible, let alone separating the two halves of a hybrid being!

I also liked how, with the Klingon fangs, B'Elanna's voice as a full Klingon even sounded different. And how the makeup people extrapolated how the Klingon half looked fully articulated.

I also wondered whether the fully Klingon B'Elanna, if she had survived, would have allowed the Doctor to reintegrate the human DNA back into her.

Red Ranger
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 05:15 PM   #4
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

Wow Red , you found full Klingon Be'Lanna hot?

..but she didn't have a big booty.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 05:25 PM   #5
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

exodus said:
Wow Red , you found full Klingon Be'Lanna hot?

..but she didn't have a big booty.
Yeah, go figure! She didn't, but she did have that ridged forehead and wild, curly tresses! Maybe her talking about how Klingon women were sexually aggressive, to get the Vidiian freak show all hot and bothered, just made me hotter than New Orleans in August! -- RR
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 05:32 PM   #6
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

Red Ranger said:
exodus said:
Wow Red , you found full Klingon Be'Lanna hot?

..but she didn't have a big booty.
Yeah, go figure! She didn't, but she did have that ridged forehead and wild, curly tresses! Maybe her talking about how Klingon women were sexually aggressive, to get the Vidiian freak show all hot and bothered, just made me hotter than New Orleans in August! -- RR
Next time I see you, I'm bringing a can of mace.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

exodus said:
Red Ranger said:
exodus said:
Wow Red , you found full Klingon Be'Lanna hot?

..but she didn't have a big booty.
Yeah, go figure! She didn't, but she did have that ridged forehead and wild, curly tresses! Maybe her talking about how Klingon women were sexually aggressive, to get the Vidiian freak show all hot and bothered, just made me hotter than New Orleans in August! -- RR
Next time I see you, I'm bringing a can of mace.
Yeah, you never know when I might hump your leg!

But seriously, I liked B'Elanna even more as a full Klingon -- although her fully human self (her real self) ain't bad!

Red Ranger
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 06:17 PM   #8
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

Red Ranger said:
exodus said:
Red Ranger said:
exodus said:
Wow Red , you found full Klingon Be'Lanna hot?

..but she didn't have a big booty.
Yeah, go figure! She didn't, but she did have that ridged forehead and wild, curly tresses! Maybe her talking about how Klingon women were sexually aggressive, to get the Vidiian freak show all hot and bothered, just made me hotter than New Orleans in August! -- RR
Next time I see you, I'm bringing a can of mace.
Yeah, you never know when I might hump your leg!

But seriously, I liked B'Elanna even more as a full Klingon -- although her fully human self (her real self) ain't bad!

Red Ranger
I prefer Be'Lanna's more aggressive nature as a Klingon over that of her human side.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

exodus said:
Red Ranger said:
exodus said:
Red Ranger said:
exodus said:
Wow Red , you found full Klingon Be'Lanna hot?

..but she didn't have a big booty.
Yeah, go figure! She didn't, but she did have that ridged forehead and wild, curly tresses! Maybe her talking about how Klingon women were sexually aggressive, to get the Vidiian freak show all hot and bothered, just made me hotter than New Orleans in August! -- RR
Next time I see you, I'm bringing a can of mace.
Yeah, you never know when I might hump your leg!

But seriously, I liked B'Elanna even more as a full Klingon -- although her fully human self (her real self) ain't bad!

Red Ranger
I prefer Be'Lanna's more aggressive nature as a Klingon over that of her human side.
Ditto! -- RR
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 10:52 PM   #10
donners22
Commodore
 
donners22's Avatar
 
Location: Victoria, Australia
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

I wasn't impressed by the Klingon. Maybe it WAS...the...HORRIBLE...de...LIV...ery, but I much prefered the softer, more vulnerable human. It was more of a contrast to what we'd seen from B'Elanna in the past.
__________________
Kim: I'm detecting some weird technobabble.
Janeway: A possibly dangerous anomaly that we know nothing about?
Kim: Yeah. I suppose we should steer clear.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline  
Old January 16 2008, 10:57 PM   #11
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

donners22 said:
I wasn't impressed by the Klingon. Maybe it WAS...the...HORRIBLE...de...LIV...ery, but I much prefered the softer, more vulnerable human. It was more of a contrast to what we'd seen from B'Elanna in the past.
Yeah, why did she speak like that?
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old January 17 2008, 12:18 AM   #12
Kegek
Rear Admiral
 
Kegek's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere You're Not
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

I think the problem with the Klingon/Human is a bit like the division of good and evil Kirk in "The Enemy Within". The acting of evil Kirk and Klingon Torres is a little weak, and they're written so we intentionally recognise that human Torres and good Kirk are the true versions of the character - with their alteregos being regrettable but essential parts of their psyche.
__________________
"Tell me this, do they have auditions for television?"
"That's all television is, my dear - nothing but auditions."

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline  
Old January 17 2008, 12:57 AM   #13
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

To address the stilted way the fully Klingon B'Elanna spoke, remember, she had been infected with the phage. From what I recall, even though she was immune to it, it causes her physical pain. So that stilted delivery was Biggs-Dawson trying to convey this. And maybe she wasn't used to the fangs she had to wear. -- RR
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline  
Old January 17 2008, 01:20 AM   #14
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

Kegek said:
I think the problem with the Klingon/Human is a bit like the division of good and evil Kirk in "The Enemy Within". The acting of evil Kirk and Klingon Torres is a little weak, and they're written so we intentionally recognise that human Torres and good Kirk are the true versions of the character - with their alteregos being regrettable but essential parts of their psyche.
I thought the point of the split was to show that neither of the Torres' were the "real" version, and they needed both to form the whole one, ever moreso than the Evil Kirk/Good Kirk thing.

Human Torres was a wussy, Klingon Torres lacked controlling ability, etc.
Anwar is offline  
Old January 17 2008, 02:26 AM   #15
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Finally Saw VOY Ep, "Faces," But It Confused Me!

Anwar said:
Kegek said:
I think the problem with the Klingon/Human is a bit like the division of good and evil Kirk in "The Enemy Within". The acting of evil Kirk and Klingon Torres is a little weak, and they're written so we intentionally recognise that human Torres and good Kirk are the true versions of the character - with their alteregos being regrettable but essential parts of their psyche.
I thought the point of the split was to show that neither of the Torres' were the "real" version, and they needed both to form the whole one, ever moreso than the Evil Kirk/Good Kirk thing.

Human Torres was a wussy, Klingon Torres lacked controlling ability, etc.
Makes sense to me, Anwar.
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.