Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 23 2008, 04:37 PM   #121
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Logos, logos and some more logos...

Really? Those are generating the most complaints on the other forums that I'm posting these on.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 06:29 PM   #122
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Thanks to Jörg, the screen cap king himself, I've been put in contact with a collector of authentic B5 costume pieces (who is also apparantly mates with someone who worked on the show) and has been kind enough to offer me some nice big reference photos of the actual patches used on the show.
So here's the first of the bunch.

Much more to come.
Old October 16 2008, 01:35 PM   #123
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Cool! Now I have to look and find those logos and patches in the actual episodes! ;-) Looking forward to much more!

Jörg
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2008, 04:10 PM   #124
Reverend
Rear Admiral

You can see the academy logo on Sinclair's shirt when he first sees Varn in "A Voice in the Wilderness" and I'm told Lochley wore it in "Movements of Fire and Shadow". As for the other two, they're both in the post office in "A Late Delivery from Avalon".

Last edited by Reverend; October 17 2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old October 17 2008, 07:22 PM   #125
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Cool! They are seen only so briefly in the episodes, really nice to finally see them up close, not just as a blurry screencaps, but as real graphics! Thanks for that! :-)

Jörg
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 10:38 PM   #126
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Reverend wrote: View Post
You can see the academy logo on Sinclair's shirt when he first sees Varn in "A Voice in the Wilderness" and I'm told Lochley wore it in "Movements of Fire and Shadow".
Yeah, the EF Academy logo was on Sinclair's "downtime" shirt and Lochley also wore a similar shirt in "Day of the Dead."

Hey, Reverend, did your costume contact provide with any pictures of the EF rank devices and stat bars for your rank chart?
Old October 19 2008, 09:16 AM   #127
Reverend
Rear Admiral

He's shown me some of the stat bars and he says he has some of the other pieces too and will send along some reference in due course. I've actually been working on the rank chart a little but have put off posting an update until I see what this guy has.

Though I did manage to solve one mystery for him; that being the origin of a green coloured EF Command Division patch. He'd been told that it was used on a marine uniform but had never spotted it. I came across in 'Endgame' it when I was looking for rank insignia. One is worn on each sleeve of the senior NCO of the Mars ground station in lieu of rank, though I just assumed it was a standard yellow one and didn't realise it was green till he showed me the photo.

As for the academy logo is concerned, it might be significant to note that Sinclair and Lochley were at the academy at the same time for at least a year.
Old October 25 2008, 04:52 AM   #128
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Need a little help here. Can anyone identify this font?
Old October 25 2008, 03:46 PM   #129
Reverend
Rear Admiral

..And while I wait for some kind soul to figure that out, here's some more logos.

Old June 21 2009, 10:21 PM   #130
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It's been a while and I've done a bunch more logos.

And while I'm at it, I've begun a chart of the various EF uniforms, though it's still sketchy in places and I'm not 100% sure what some of them are for.
Old June 21 2009, 10:49 PM   #131
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Reverend:

Forgive me if you know some of this information already.

First row: The blue officers uniforms are the Space Navy of EarthForce, i.e. those who run starships, space stations, etc. The brown officer uniforms are for ground pounders, i.e. Marines. The gray is EarthForce security. The last, of course, is dress. Although the first season dress was slightly different and included a leather waist belt with EF logo buckle.

Second row: The blues are Space Navy enlisted; also the collars and epaulets should be a dark brown, not black. The security gray, iirc from a JMS post, is civilian-contract security, not necessarily EarthForce but fall under the purview of EF Security on military installations like Babylon 5. Of course, this doesn't seem to jive with Zack Allen who is later shown as being a Warrant Officer in EarthForce ("Sleeping in Light").

The second gray with black trousers was a re-purposed security uniform for Mars civilian police, after it gained it's independence from Earth. The third is civilian-contract security on Mars when it was under Earth jurisdiction. The last three are all variations of pilot uniforms. The blue jumper being the one associated with Starfury pilots. The brown being a utility jumpsuit worn by pilots and others. I don't recognize the green one.

Thrid one: The first three, obviously, are GROPOS. The last three are civilian contract technicians ware, from maintenance to dock workers.
Old June 21 2009, 10:53 PM   #132
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Great B5 stuff there

Is there a site for these for my B5 fan friends for these?
Old June 21 2009, 11:04 PM   #133
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Wow... that is awesome. It's about time there was a Babylon 5 uniform recognition chart!
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 11:13 PM   #134
Reverend
Rear Admiral

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Reverend:

First row: The blue officers uniforms are the Space Navy of EarthForce, i.e. those who run starships, space stations, etc. The brown officer uniforms are for ground pounders, i.e. Marines. The gray is EarthForce security. The last, of course, is dress. Although the first season dress was slightly different and included a leather waist belt with EF logo buckle.

Second row: The blues are Space Navy enlisted; also the collars and epaulets should be a dark brown, not black. The security gray, iirc from a JMS post, is civilian-contract security, not necessarily EarthForce but fall under the purview of EF Security on military installations like Babylon 5. Of course, this doesn't seem to jive with Zack Allen who is later shown as being a Warrant Officer in EarthForce ("Sleeping in Light").

The second gray with black trousers was a re-purposed security uniform for Mars civilian police, after it gained it's independence from Earth. The third is civilian-contract security on Mars when it was under Earth jurisdiction. The last three are all variations of pilot uniforms. The blue jumper being the one associated with Starfury pilots. The brown being a utility jumpsuit worn by pilots and others. I don't recognize the green one.

Thrid one: The first three, obviously, are GROPOS. The last three are civilian contract technicians ware, from maintenance to dock workers.

From what I can tell, The EF NCO leather is in fact black. see here At least as far as I can tell.

As for the security uniforms, the third is actually specifically for prison guards. If you look closely you'll see they're a somewhat lighter shade of grey and the B5 Security manual describe them as such.

The only one's I wasn't sure about were the green and beige pilots uniforms. I'd assumed they were Marine and Shuttle pilots respectively but couldn't be sure. On the other hand the beige one was worn by the scientist/survey team from "A Voice in the Wilderness" so perhaps it was meant to be just a generic non-combat flight suit. The green one as far as I can tell only cropped up in a few episodes of Crusade, so was probably one of the "new" post-hiatus costumes.

As for the maintenance ones, I just wasn't sure if the different colours meant anything specific, relating to their jobs.

And yes, I realise about half of these are civilian contract uniforms, this is just a rough assembly of what I've got so far, in no particular order. I think I still have about a dozen or so to go.

As for Zack, the way I understand it, he was given a field promotion by Sheridan (not sure if there's a real world precedent for this) to replace Garibaldi as the CWO and Security Chief and when the civil war was over, all those under Sheridan were given amnesty which I assume means his personnel changes were upheld (he also promoted Ivanova before officially retireing.) Where it get's fuzzy is with the exact status of B5 and it's staff from Season 5 onwards. The station is still independent, but under command of an EF officer, though Corwin (her second) and Zack are still both in the "Army of Light" uniforms. Presumably at some point Zack left the station and was granted a comission (or whatever you call it for a non-com) on the basis of his role and experiance on B5. Then retired and re-upped again about six months before SiL.
kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
Great B5 stuff there

None to do with me, though I have been sticking a few of my logos up on the B5 wiki where appropriate.
Old June 21 2009, 11:45 PM   #135
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Reverend:

From what I can tell, The EF NCO leather is in fact black. see here At least as far as I can tell.

As for the security uniforms, the third is actually specifically for prison guards. If you look closely you'll see they're a somewhat lighter shade of grey and the B5 Security manual describe them as such.

The only one's I wasn't sure about were the green and beige pilots uniforms. I'd assumed they were Marine and Shuttle pilots respectively but couldn't be sure. On the other hand the beige one was worn by the scientist/survey team from "A Voice in the Wilderness" so perhaps it was meant to be just a generic non-combat flight suit. The green one as far as I can tell only cropped up in a few episodes of Crusade, so was probably one of the "new" post-hiatus costumes.

As for the maintenance ones, I just wasn't sure if the different colours meant anything specific, relating to their jobs.

And yes, I realise about half of these are civilian contract uniforms, this is just a rough assembly of what I've got so far, in no particular order. I think I still have about a dozen or so to go.

As for Zack, the way I understand it, he was given a field promotion by Sheridan (not sure if there's a real world precedent for this) to replace Garibaldi as the CWO and Security Chief and when the civil war was over, all those under Sheridan were given amnesty which I assume means his personnel changes were upheld (he also promoted Ivanova before officially retireing.) Where it get's fuzzy is with the exact status of B5 and it's staff from Season 5 onwards. The station is still independent, but under command of an EF officer, though Corwin (her second) and Zack are still both in the "Army of Light" uniforms. Presumably at some point Zack left the station and was granted a comission (or whatever you call it for a non-com) on the basis of his role and experiance on B5. Then retired and re-upped again about six months before SiL.
kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
Great B5 stuff there

None to do with me, though I have been sticking a few of my logos up on the B5 wiki where appropriate.

oh ok then I'll just point them to this thead instead then when i see them next