Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 15 2008, 03:44 AM   #91
ThomastheCat
Captain

View ThomastheCat's Twitter Profile
Re: Logos, logos and some more logos...

Reverend wrote: View Post
Unless of course you're in a universe that intentionally apes Naval tradition for lack of an original idea (shoots a glance at Honour Harrington.)
Ouch! I guess there's no accounting for taste.
Old August 15 2008, 11:49 PM   #92
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Am I wrong?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 01:43 AM   #93
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I agree. Fleet, defense force or something along those lines has always seemed more apt in scifi. In fact, it's disappointing to see that space doesn't get original terminology. Apparently, everything is lifted from the 19th century British Navy.

I'm a sucker for logos and patches, Reverend, this is cool stuff.
Old August 16 2008, 04:23 AM   #94
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

captcalhoun wrote: View Post

shame you spelt 'steer' wrong...
DOH!

I have to admit, I never cared for the terms "Stellar Navy" or "Space Navy", always sounded a little silly or pompous to me.
I'm not entirely happy with it myself, but I prefer it to just having the "Earth Star Fleet." I like having it more distinct from the Federation Star Fleet.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 05:12 AM   #95
Masao
Fleet Captain

I used United Earth Stellar Navy for my Starfleet Museum articles nearly 10 year ago because I wanted to avoid "Starfleet" or any variation of it (ie Star Fleet). I also considered "space force," "star force," and "space fleet" but rejected them for various reason (such as sounding a bit anime-ish, like "UN Spacey")
Old August 16 2008, 08:02 AM   #96
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah but you should know by now that I make a habit of disagreeing with you just for the fun of it.
Having said that, you are correct in that "Stellar Navy" sounds slightly less bonkers than "Space Force," "Star Force," and "Space Fleet". Personally I liked B5's solution of calling it "Earthforce" but that's not quite appropriate for Star Trek. Still, I was always happy with jusy plain old UESPA anyway. For one thing it sounds just clunky and ambiguous enough to have been thought up in a committee.
Old August 17 2008, 02:38 AM   #97
Masao
Fleet Captain

Yeah but you should know by now that I make a habit of disagreeing with you just for the fun of it.
I'm no smarter than a salivating dog. I can't help myself.
Old August 17 2008, 06:42 PM   #98
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Having said that, you are correct in that "Stellar Navy" sounds slightly less bonkers than "Space Force," "Star Force," and "Space Fleet". Personally I liked B5's solution of calling it "Earthforce" but that's not quite appropriate for Star Trek. Still, I was always happy with jusy plain old UESPA anyway. For one thing it sounds just clunky and ambiguous enough to have been thought up in a committee.
Years ago, me and a couple other former members of this board and the subspace (now United Worlds) board was working on doing a complete Jane's Ships type book for the ENT era that would include a history and detailed descriptions of the evolution of the Earth Starfleet.

I'd have written the text since I had no artistic skills in regards to technical designs. Anyway, we came up with the original term for Starfleet had been akin to the governmental title for the USN. It would've been United Earth Space Probe Agency, Department of the Star Fleet. The DoSF would've started as a division that later grew into the Earth Starfleet (a shortened version of that original name). Due to fear of a world-wide military force, it was also split up, in our iteration, into three distinctive divisions: Earth Starfleet (what we saw in ENT), the MACOs (also ENT) and the Earth Solar Patrol (a coast-guard like intra-solar fleet). All under the auspicious of the UESPA oversite committee. This was our way of rationalizing why Starfleet was the way it was in ENT.

The logo was similar to the USN seal with the TOS command star instead of the anchor and a red boarder rather than a blue one.
Old August 23 2008, 01:26 AM   #99
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Masao wrote: View Post
I'm no smarter than a salivating dog. I can't help myself.
Yes you can!
middyseafort wrote: View Post
Years ago, me and a couple other former members of this board and the subspace (now United Worlds) board was working on doing a complete Jane's Ships type book for the ENT era that would include a history and detailed descriptions of the evolution of the Earth Starfleet.

I'd have written the text since I had no artistic skills in regards to technical designs. Anyway, we came up with the original term for Starfleet had been akin to the governmental title for the USN. It would've been United Earth Space Probe Agency, Department of the Star Fleet. The DoSF would've started as a division that later grew into the Earth Starfleet (a shortened version of that original name). Due to fear of a world-wide military force, it was also split up, in our iteration, into three distinctive divisions: Earth Starfleet (what we saw in ENT), the MACOs (also ENT) and the Earth Solar Patrol (a coast-guard like intra-solar fleet). All under the auspicious of the UESPA oversite committee. This was our way of rationalizing why Starfleet was the way it was in ENT.

The logo was similar to the USN seal with the TOS command star instead of the anchor and a red boarder rather than a blue one.
Yeah I had a go at extrapolating up from the DY-100 all the way to Masao's Bison-Class. Never got that far with it, but some are still up on JoAT I think. However I always thought most of the early deep space explorers and colony ships should be corporate owned rather than by some united space navy that would magically appear after WWIII.

More B5 logos soon...
Old August 24 2008, 10:17 PM   #100
K'riq Sa
Commodore

"And I'm Just The Jackass Too Do It"...

Hey Reverand,

What have you got for the Starfleet Rangers? My take was something along these lines...

You're stuff is awesome and it's hard to pick any certain one that I like there are so many....

logoly,

K'riq Sa
Minister of the Church of Luminosity
K'riq Sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 10:55 PM   #101
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: "And I'm Just The Jackass Too Do It"...

The starfleet rangers what-now?
Old August 25 2008, 04:49 AM   #102
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

^It's the new Star Trek series featuring Chuck Norris.
Old August 25 2008, 08:46 AM   #103
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Well, the Roundhouse Kick beams totally demolished the credibility of the Borg.
Old August 25 2008, 11:49 AM   #104
friedebarth
Lieutenant Commander

Absolutely amazing stuff!

What would you think the Section 31 logo looks like - if they have one?
Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be follow my faith."
friedebarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 08:57 PM   #105
K'riq Sa
Commodore

middyseafort wrote: View Post
^It's the new Star Trek series featuring Chuck Norris.

And Pam Anderson as the Evil Genius "T-Boob"...

reducingly,

K'riq Sa
Minister of the Church of Wonton Physics

Last edited by K'riq Sa; August 25 2008 at 10:09 PM.
K'riq Sa is offline   Reply With Quote