Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 6 2008, 07:34 AM   #91
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Sword of Damocles -- comments & opinions ****SPOILERS***

Trent Roman said:
^ Actually, I'd like to know if that's the 'before' or 'after' panel...
Version #2:

Sorry, some of the pages are stuck together...

What?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2008, 08:49 AM   #92
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

^ Second one is better.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old January 6 2008, 08:57 PM   #93
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Trust me, when I get done with her, her hair will be mussed up.

What? I mean she'll see a lot of action.

Hang on, this isn't coming out right....

Nope, that line didn't, either.

Look for Pava in book three of Destiny, Lost Souls, coming in December!

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2008, 09:35 PM   #94
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor said:
lvsxy808 said:
Not being aware of her beyond her Titan appearances, may I ask what the big deal is about Pava that makes everyone want to see her again?

'Nuff said?
Sorry, big homo here

Show me Keru and Radowski gettin' their bow-chicka-wow-wow on, and we'll talk.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2008, 04:18 PM   #95
JoeP
Commander

View JoeP's Twitter Profile

Finished the book last night. It seems others had the same general gripes I had with it, so I won't repeat them as they've already been said (except that I couldn't stand Vale in this book) but I do have a question/comment about one specific scene. When Vale was taken prisoner and she was watching the shuttle on screen, at what point had she figured out that they had gone into the past a few days and that what she was watching was live and not a recording of what had happened before? I, for one, thought it was a recording as well and when she started going on about how she had an opportunity to alter the timeline I was in complete WTFland. I don't recall anything that would've tipped her off that anything other than a simple crash landing had occurred. What did I miss?
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2008, 07:57 PM   #96
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Sword of Damocles -- comments & opinions ****SPOILERS*****

Geoff, i really enjoyed this book. as with Mr Bennett, i was slightly concerned whether I'd enjoy your work coming in since i was new to your writing, but i did like it. whilst i wouldn't rate it as highly as i did/do OH, it was definitely a good book...

my review on my blog sez:

This is Geoff's first full-length Trek novel and it's a doozy. Told in a non-linear fashion, it starts with the epilogue - which actually takes place partway through the story and ends with the prologue which actually takes place after the epilogue and the rest of the tale.

Don't let that put you off though, it's very well written and it expands on some of the new characters in the Titan series, like Jaza, the science officer and Ra-Hevreii the chief engineer. One review I read slated it for not focussing on Riker and Troi, but not every Trek episode focuses on the captain anyhow.

Whilst the plot is some what convuluted and complex it's worth it, as it's a very compelling story.

Overall, 8/10
to contrast, i gave Resistance 8/10, Q&A 10/10 and Before Dishonour 9/10
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2008, 03:54 PM   #97
Rabid Trekkie
Lieutenant Commander

I finished this a couple nights ago and I enjoyed it. The whole non-linear timeline got confusing at times, there were a couple sections where there was a scene change and it seemed to come out of nowhere, but I've been dealing with time travel in Trek since I was four so I could sort it out eventually. I liked the characterizations of everyone except for Vale. The talk about her mom and her getting too involved in Riker and Troi's problems just seemed off, though I did like the little blue councilor we met. That's probably the best part of the book, the second stringers got the spotlight in this one.

I do hope there's some way we can see Jaza again. I liked his story arc in this one and in the series as a whole, the religious minded scientist is an interesting idea that I think shows people that both can exist side by side without trying to kill each other.
Rabid Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2008, 11:45 PM   #98
JD
Admiral

Actually this isn't the first time we've met, Huilan, the little blue counselor. I'm pretty sure he's been in at least 2 -if not all- of the other books.
Old April 15 2008, 07:35 AM   #99
captcalhoun
Admiral

he's definitely in the 1st and 3rd...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2008, 02:44 PM   #100
Rabid Trekkie
Lieutenant Commander

JD wrote: View Post
Actually this isn't the first time we've met, Huilan, the little blue counselor. I'm pretty sure he's been in at least 2 -if not all- of the other books.
Really? I must have completely forgotten about him then.
Rabid Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 07:09 PM   #101
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

View Geoff Thorne's Twitter Profile

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Geoff, i really enjoyed this book. as with Mr Bennett, i was slightly concerned whether I'd enjoy your work coming in since i was new to your writing, but i did like it. whilst i wouldn't rate it as highly as i did/do OH, it was definitely a good book...

my review on my blog sez:

This is Geoff's first full-length Trek novel and it's a doozy. Told in a non-linear fashion, it starts with the epilogue - which actually takes place partway through the story and ends with the prologue which actually takes place after the epilogue and the rest of the tale.

Don't let that put you off though, it's very well written and it expands on some of the new characters in the Titan series, like Jaza, the science officer and Ra-Hevreii the chief engineer. One review I read slated it for not focussing on Riker and Troi, but not every Trek episode focuses on the captain anyhow.

Whilst the plot is some what convuluted and complex it's worth it, as it's a very compelling story.

Overall, 8/10
to contrast, i gave Resistance 8/10, Q&A 10/10 and Before Dishonour 9/10
Thanks, I'll take 8 out of ten any day.

Joe:

On page 219 Vale is wondering why the Mater doesn't already know many of the events that have taken place- Titan's arrival, the destruction of the shuttle and her own watchdog vessel, etc. Over the course of the scene it becomes clear to her that they have shifted back in time but only slightly. When she actually sees the events on the Orishan view screen she puts it together that they've been shunted backwards in time albeit only by a couple of days.

I'm sorry that the sequence wasn't more clear. Next time (if they let me come back) I'll do better.

As for jaza:

I LOVE JAZA.

I would love to see him come back and even had conceived a way for him to be able to in that story but, after discussion, it was deemed too big of a stretch for a book with so many convolutions in place already so we left him in the past.

However.

No body (nor remains of any kind) is ever found and that is by intent. As a long time fan of adventure fiction, I am a true beleiver in the adage "No body, no death." If I see a corpse and it's identified as the person we expect, I get a bit pissed off when that same person shows up perfectly fine later with a crappy explanation as to how and why they managed it. If somebody gets killed by magic, they can be brought back. If they die by conventional means and we SEE them die, they are, IMO, dead for good. I call it Whedon's Law.

So, while Titan's crew beleive they know the end of Jaza's story, they absolutely do not. There is plenty of room in there for him to be seen again, though in what form I couldn't possibly say.

Though I do have some ideas...

It's taking me a little while, I know, but I am actually working on the explanation of the temporal shifting depicted in the book on the annotations site I'm building. Some people get it but some don't and that's my fault. I wrote it. Everybody should be able to get it.

So, the least I can do is explain it. Please be patient. It'll be up soon.

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard
Geoff Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 10:11 PM   #102
Section 31
Commander

Since I recently finished this one, I'll chime in with my $0.02.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The characters are coming together now where it no longer feels like Riker, Troi, Tuvok, some minor secondary characters we've seen once or twice, and a bunch of new people (i.e. originals like Jaza and Ra-Havreii and novel-only imports like Vale seem as much a part of the crew as the major screen characters).

The writing was fairly mature, for lack of a better term, especially for a relatively new author. It was a refreshing change after the last book I read (Before Dishonor). It took me a second to figure out who was who in the "anonymous" final scenes, but was able to piece it together fairly quick. At first, the description annoyed me, but then I thought it was kind of cool, like passing a test of how well I'd paid attention to the characterizations in the book.

One thing I was surprised by, though: Why didn't anybody think the exploding ship might be the Charon? That was actually my immediate first thought, and when Ra-Havreii finally figured it out I was like "it's about time!".

Also, I have to say that I really like the scientific and technical aspects that were part of this novel, as well as the one that preceded it (and the one I'm reading now). Although some might dismiss it as "treknobabble", adding that element gives an air of sophistication and authenticity missing from works that studiously avoid such things.

Definitely looking forward to the next book in the series!

Recently Finished: N/A

Last edited by Section 31; April 17 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Section 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2008, 01:02 AM   #103
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

They went there looking for a ship in distress but didn't find it. After the big shockwave Troi feels the tie she has with her husband (as well as all the other living beings on Titan) severed and Vale actually sees the ship break apart. There's no reason to assume that the one ship they knew for sure was present was not also the one that was desroyed before their eyes. Troi's empathic connection being broken would go a long way to cementing that feeling.

Now, as an avid Trek fan, it's likely you're well used to the sort of temporal tricks that get played in the lit (and on screen) but, from the characters' POV, there was no way for them to assume Charon was the ship that fell. Although naming a ship Charon is asking for trouble, IMO.

Glad you liked it. I have no idea what Mr. Mack plans for these people but, if Titan survives the onslaught, I also hope to see our friends again.

They are now, officially, my favorite Trek crew, knocking Voyager into second place.

Besides, I totally have to see how Dakal's story plays out. Especially now he's got a hot girlfriend.

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard

Last edited by Geoff Thorne; April 18 2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old April 18 2008, 03:37 AM   #104
JD
Admiral

Ok, I'm having a total brain fart here: who is Dakal's girlfriend?
Old April 18 2008, 06:14 AM   #105
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Ok, I'm having a total brain fart here: who is Dakal's girlfriend?
Hsuuri.

Caitian.

Rowwrrr.