Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 2 2007, 02:44 PM   #16
Braxton
Fleet Captain

Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

The Battle of Wolf 359 should be extended in DS9 if/when they remaster that series. The battle should not be shown in BOBW at all because like, like Jolly Jack Bauer said, it would cheapen the shock value of seeing the destroyed fleet.

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2007, 08:52 PM   #17
Trekfan21
Commander

I'm in total agreement with the opinion that the shockvalue of seeing the destroyed fleet would be diminished if we saw the battle.

The breakup of the transmission from Admiral Hasnon (sp) lets us know that things are not going well. Then to later see the D fly through the wrecked hulls and debris lets you know this there was a total massacre.

At that time it was truly impressive as we never saw more than 4 or 5 ships on screen at a time. To see all of these starships we'd come to view as somewhat indestructible in that condition was hard to believe. It made me wonder how many ships Starfleet actually had left.

While cool to watch, DS9's dominion war VFX sequences made it look like an assembly line was spitting out an endless supply of starships.
Trekfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2007, 10:18 PM   #18
Tralis
Fleet Captain

I think we just should be patient for HD. It'll be cool if and when they remaster, but we can torture ourselves waiting for the TOS treatment until our faces turn blue.
Old December 2 2007, 11:47 PM   #19
DumbDumb2007
Commander

Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 shown..

Then the aftermath graveyard of ships should be more devastating.
DumbDumb2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2007, 03:57 AM   #20
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

I think pretty much everyone has seen the "aftermath" of the battle.

Personally I'd sacrifice a little of the "shock" factor to see a row of over 30 ships get their asses whooped by a single Borg cube. Can you imagine 10 mins of just pure insane fighting, with the Borg swatting the helpless Federation ships like tiny fruitflies?

Then afterward, show the Enterprise pass thru a "very detailed" version of the aftermath. I think it would still be quite shocking.

What TNG needs really is to spice up it's already current FX shots (make ship movements longer, more detailed, better backgrounds, more camera/panning/zooming, etc) AND it needs to add "implied" scenes (like the 20 ships that were going to form a "Tackyon Grid", I think we saw 3 ships of that armada? Show the full 20 this time. And for the scene with Data uncovering the Romulan ship, show a huge extended scene of the ship firing torpedoes and destabilizing the cloak, and have the Warbird pull these crazy maneubers to get out of dodge, and get it's ass back to Romulan space.

This is what to me would make me buy the entire TNG collection (You hear that Paramount????? Redo all the FX shots in TNG a'la TOS': "Doomsday Machine" and my wallet automatically becomes yours!!!!!
Old December 4 2007, 05:24 AM   #21
Trekfan21
Commander

We already got to see that in "First Contact." Why rehash what ILM already did?
Trekfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2007, 06:48 AM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Festivus Toad! said:
I dunno about that. I think the main reason that no new scenes are added to TOS is because barrel loops and extended FX shots didn't "fit", and the base would freak-the-fuck-out.
Also new background music would have to be added if any brand new scenes were composed, and that might be a problem.
Old December 4 2007, 10:34 AM   #23
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

GalaxyX said:
I think pretty much everyone has seen the "aftermath" of the battle.

Personally I'd sacrifice a little of the "shock" factor to see a row of over 30 ships get their asses whooped by a single Borg cube. Can you imagine 10 mins of just pure insane fighting, with the Borg swatting the helpless Federation ships like tiny fruitflies?

Then afterward, show the Enterprise pass thru a "very detailed" version of the aftermath. I think it would still be quite shocking.

What TNG needs really is to spice up it's already current FX shots (make ship movements longer, more detailed, better backgrounds, more camera/panning/zooming, etc) AND it needs to add "implied" scenes (like the 20 ships that were going to form a "Tackyon Grid", I think we saw 3 ships of that armada? Show the full 20 this time. And for the scene with Data uncovering the Romulan ship, show a huge extended scene of the ship firing torpedoes and destabilizing the cloak, and have the Warbird pull these crazy maneubers to get out of dodge, and get it's ass back to Romulan space.

This is what to me would make me buy the entire TNG collection (You hear that Paramount????? Redo all the FX shots in TNG a'la TOS': "Doomsday Machine" and my wallet automatically becomes yours!!!!!
I concur. This is a very good idea.
Old December 4 2007, 05:41 PM   #24
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Can you imagine 10 mins of just pure insane fighting, with the Borg swatting the helpless Federation ships like tiny fruitflies?
That's fanboy talk. It would do nothing to advance the plot other than to show how powerful the Borg are with Picard's knowledge, which we already know.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2007, 05:25 AM   #25
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

We already got to see that in "First Contact." Why rehash what ILM already did?
We got to see about 10 seconds. DS9 showed far more space battle than FC ever did.
Old December 10 2007, 09:42 AM   #26
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Nope. Just leave as is. The scenes would be extraneous and serve only to diminish the effect of seeing the broken fleet.
Old December 10 2007, 03:37 PM   #27
RoJoHen
Awesome

I don't need to see Wolf 359, but I think it would be fucking sweet (ya know, in a fanboy way) if somebody put together a separate, short video of a huge Borg battle.

I'm much more interested in an extended version of the "First Contact" battle than Wolf 359. BOBW needs to stay the way it is for dramatic effect.
Old December 10 2007, 03:55 PM   #28
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor

RoJoHen said:
I'm much more interested in an extended version of the "First Contact" battle than Wolf 359. BOBW needs to stay the way it is for dramatic effect.
I like this idea. :thumbsup:

I'd stick with not adding an extraneous scene to BOBW simply because "it would be teh kewlest!!11!!". As was pointed out earlier, all actually showing the Battle of Wolf 359 does is reinforce how freaking powerful the Borg are. Making the ship hulks in the graveyard scene look more damaged and realistic works much better.

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2007, 05:17 AM   #29
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

^^^ which is why you non fanboy "realistic" types should stay with your regular version of TNG, and let Paramount give us fanwankers our fanwank material LOL
Old December 12 2007, 05:49 PM   #30
Mott the barber
Commodore

Vixen said:
RoJoHen said:
I like this idea. :thumbsup:

I'd stick with not adding an extraneous scene to BOBW simply because "it would be teh kewlest!!11!!". As was pointed out earlier, all actually showing the Battle of Wolf 359 does is reinforce how freaking powerful the Borg are. Making the ship hulks in the graveyard scene look more damaged and realistic works much better.

I agree. One reason that ep. was so powerful was because of the graveyard scene WITHOUT a battle.