RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,915
Posts: 5,331,362
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 591
Newest member: jakesmit44543

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 2 2007, 02:44 PM   #16
Braxton
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

The Battle of Wolf 359 should be extended in DS9 if/when they remaster that series. The battle should not be shown in BOBW at all because like, like Jolly Jack Bauer said, it would cheapen the shock value of seeing the destroyed fleet.
__________________

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2007, 08:52 PM   #17
Trekfan21
Commander
 
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

I'm in total agreement with the opinion that the shockvalue of seeing the destroyed fleet would be diminished if we saw the battle.

The breakup of the transmission from Admiral Hasnon (sp) lets us know that things are not going well. Then to later see the D fly through the wrecked hulls and debris lets you know this there was a total massacre.

At that time it was truly impressive as we never saw more than 4 or 5 ships on screen at a time. To see all of these starships we'd come to view as somewhat indestructible in that condition was hard to believe. It made me wonder how many ships Starfleet actually had left.

While cool to watch, DS9's dominion war VFX sequences made it look like an assembly line was spitting out an endless supply of starships.
Trekfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2007, 10:18 PM   #18
Tralis
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

I think we just should be patient for HD. It'll be cool if and when they remaster, but we can torture ourselves waiting for the TOS treatment until our faces turn blue.
__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lis/Banner.jpg
"Because a true victory is to make your enemy see that they were wrong to oppose you in the first place. To force them to acknowledge your greatness." - Gul Dukat
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2007, 11:47 PM   #19
DumbDumb2007
Commander
 
Location: United States
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 shown..

Then the aftermath graveyard of ships should be more devastating.
DumbDumb2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2007, 03:57 AM   #20
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

I think pretty much everyone has seen the "aftermath" of the battle.

Personally I'd sacrifice a little of the "shock" factor to see a row of over 30 ships get their asses whooped by a single Borg cube. Can you imagine 10 mins of just pure insane fighting, with the Borg swatting the helpless Federation ships like tiny fruitflies?

Then afterward, show the Enterprise pass thru a "very detailed" version of the aftermath. I think it would still be quite shocking.

What TNG needs really is to spice up it's already current FX shots (make ship movements longer, more detailed, better backgrounds, more camera/panning/zooming, etc) AND it needs to add "implied" scenes (like the 20 ships that were going to form a "Tackyon Grid", I think we saw 3 ships of that armada? Show the full 20 this time. And for the scene with Data uncovering the Romulan ship, show a huge extended scene of the ship firing torpedoes and destabilizing the cloak, and have the Warbird pull these crazy maneubers to get out of dodge, and get it's ass back to Romulan space.

This is what to me would make me buy the entire TNG collection (You hear that Paramount????? Redo all the FX shots in TNG a'la TOS': "Doomsday Machine" and my wallet automatically becomes yours!!!!!
__________________
House + Gordon Ramsay: My fucking heroes!!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2007, 05:24 AM   #21
Trekfan21
Commander
 
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

We already got to see that in "First Contact." Why rehash what ILM already did?
Trekfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2007, 06:48 AM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

Festivus Toad! said:
I dunno about that. I think the main reason that no new scenes are added to TOS is because barrel loops and extended FX shots didn't "fit", and the base would freak-the-fuck-out.
Also new background music would have to be added if any brand new scenes were composed, and that might be a problem.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2007, 10:34 AM   #23
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain
 
HRHTheKING's Avatar
 
Location: Royal Estates
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

GalaxyX said:
I think pretty much everyone has seen the "aftermath" of the battle.

Personally I'd sacrifice a little of the "shock" factor to see a row of over 30 ships get their asses whooped by a single Borg cube. Can you imagine 10 mins of just pure insane fighting, with the Borg swatting the helpless Federation ships like tiny fruitflies?

Then afterward, show the Enterprise pass thru a "very detailed" version of the aftermath. I think it would still be quite shocking.

What TNG needs really is to spice up it's already current FX shots (make ship movements longer, more detailed, better backgrounds, more camera/panning/zooming, etc) AND it needs to add "implied" scenes (like the 20 ships that were going to form a "Tackyon Grid", I think we saw 3 ships of that armada? Show the full 20 this time. And for the scene with Data uncovering the Romulan ship, show a huge extended scene of the ship firing torpedoes and destabilizing the cloak, and have the Warbird pull these crazy maneubers to get out of dodge, and get it's ass back to Romulan space.

This is what to me would make me buy the entire TNG collection (You hear that Paramount????? Redo all the FX shots in TNG a'la TOS': "Doomsday Machine" and my wallet automatically becomes yours!!!!!
I concur. This is a very good idea.
__________________
MAY GOD SAVE THE KING
HRHTheKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2007, 05:41 PM   #24
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

Can you imagine 10 mins of just pure insane fighting, with the Borg swatting the helpless Federation ships like tiny fruitflies?
That's fanboy talk. It would do nothing to advance the plot other than to show how powerful the Borg are with Picard's knowledge, which we already know.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2007, 05:25 AM   #25
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

We already got to see that in "First Contact." Why rehash what ILM already did?
We got to see about 10 seconds. DS9 showed far more space battle than FC ever did.
__________________
House + Gordon Ramsay: My fucking heroes!!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2007, 09:42 AM   #26
StarMan
Vice Admiral
 
StarMan's Avatar
 
Location: ... in another place.
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

Nope. Just leave as is. The scenes would be extraneous and serve only to diminish the effect of seeing the broken fleet.
__________________
Let's rock!
StarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2007, 03:37 PM   #27
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

I don't need to see Wolf 359, but I think it would be fucking sweet (ya know, in a fanboy way) if somebody put together a separate, short video of a huge Borg battle.

I'm much more interested in an extended version of the "First Contact" battle than Wolf 359. BOBW needs to stay the way it is for dramatic effect.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2007, 03:55 PM   #28
Dancing Doctor
Admiral
 
Dancing Doctor's Avatar
 
Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

RoJoHen said:
I'm much more interested in an extended version of the "First Contact" battle than Wolf 359. BOBW needs to stay the way it is for dramatic effect.
I like this idea. :thumbsup:

I'd stick with not adding an extraneous scene to BOBW simply because "it would be teh kewlest!!11!!". As was pointed out earlier, all actually showing the Battle of Wolf 359 does is reinforce how freaking powerful the Borg are. Making the ship hulks in the graveyard scene look more damaged and realistic works much better.
__________________
‎"Captain, we are being hailed. That is, if you don't mind...if it isn't too intrusive."

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2007, 05:17 AM   #29
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

^^^ which is why you non fanboy "realistic" types should stay with your regular version of TNG, and let Paramount give us fanwankers our fanwank material LOL
__________________
House + Gordon Ramsay: My fucking heroes!!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2007, 05:49 PM   #30
Mott the barber
Commodore
 
Mott the barber's Avatar
 
Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

Vixen said:
RoJoHen said:
I'm much more interested in an extended version of the "First Contact" battle than Wolf 359. BOBW needs to stay the way it is for dramatic effect.
I like this idea. :thumbsup:

I'd stick with not adding an extraneous scene to BOBW simply because "it would be teh kewlest!!11!!". As was pointed out earlier, all actually showing the Battle of Wolf 359 does is reinforce how freaking powerful the Borg are. Making the ship hulks in the graveyard scene look more damaged and realistic works much better.

I agree. One reason that ep. was so powerful was because of the graveyard scene WITHOUT a battle.
__________________
It's not you I hate, Cardassian. I hate what I became... because of you. --Miles O'Brien in "The Wounded"
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.