Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old November 29 2009, 05:19 PM   #46
FishDS9
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Would love to know how to get STV: EF1 to run on Win 7 pro 64bit. MajorTork is about to release a new TOS mod and I need to get this working. Help?
Old December 13 2009, 01:23 PM   #47
Deks
Rear Admiral

Elite Force 1 works on my system with Win 7 x64

I ran it's Setup file with administrator priviledges.
It took about 10 to 20 mins (or more) until I actually got to the Installation screen, but it worked.

You just have to wait until the installation screen comes up (if that's your issue with the game).
Old December 21 2009, 07:05 PM   #48
Mr. X
Cadet

Hi there,

I'm new on this forum but I hope you can help me with this problem:
I have seen the topic starter has 'Starship creator' 1 and 2 on his Vista installation and it seems to be working. I have Ship creator 1 under Windows 7 x64. And I have this script and Quicktime error (even when I configure compatibility modes and all that jazz) but to no avail.
I am reluctant to install Quicktime 3 that comes with it since Win7 is superior in everyfield Quicktime 3 offers. Is it a wise decision?

Regards.
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2009, 12:21 AM   #49
LenaMarie
Ensign

About Starship Creator, yeah you dont want to install quicktime from the discs on a modern computer, i found that out the hard way and it messed it all up.

Its better to use something called Virtual PC by Microsoft to run it.

Im wondering if anyone can help me, I have Windows 7 Pro and a Geforce GTX 275 Video card and I cant play DS9: Fallen Okay I can, it installs fine and loads up fine, my problem is Im stuck with only Software rendering, it doesn't recognize my video card at all. Its virtually unplayable when it looks much worse then it did on the day i got it. Any idea how I can get 3D acceleration going on?
Old December 28 2009, 12:27 AM   #50
Mr. X
Cadet

Thanks LenaMarie but I just found the solution to fix the problem, I thought I share it with you.

Here goes:
What I did was I installed Quicktime 6. 6 Also has the missing files. After installation I deleted the key programs but let the .dll's and other components that drive the extentions of the files needed for Starship Creator. It didn't interfere with the operating system (Win7) and solved the problem. It has still a scripting error of some sort but that is just one dialog that can be clicked away and everything works just fine.

So long story short:
Install Quicktime 6, uninstall Quicktime 6 but only the programs associated with it, not the mix and filter files.

I hope this works for everyone with the same problem.

Edit: Wow, I just read my own post in my head with LaForge's voice and it just sounded cool.
Old December 28 2009, 02:23 AM   #51
LenaMarie
Ensign

Thanks, Im not sure why i had a problem with it but it broke my Quicktime and Itunes and applications that use it like Second Life, even after i uninstalled it.

But since I have Windows XP mode with Windows 7, its easier to just use that, it plays all the SCs, Captains Chair and TNG Technical Manual nicely.

As for 64 bit Windows 7, I've found it plays more Star Trek games then Vista did, like Klingon Honor Guard is finally playable after all these years (it didnt work on Vista at all for me) it just has framerate issues. Also Away Team works nicely, same with Aramda 2. Ds9 Fallen would work too if i could just get the renderer changed to 3D Hardware, Software looks bad. And with Dosbox I have AFU, Harbinger, 25th and JR all working perfectly.

So far the only games i cant get to work at all are
Dominion Wars
New Worlds
Generations
Old December 28 2009, 02:38 AM   #52
Mr. X
Cadet

I assume you tried setting the compatibility mode for DS9: Fallen to Win 9x (Win95/98SE)?

And if it is any help:
http://www.startrek.com/custom/inclu...ds_patches.htm

It's old but it still might work.
Old December 28 2009, 06:17 AM   #53
LenaMarie
Ensign

I've tried compatibility options and that patch but unfortunately Fallen seems to only want me to use Software Rendering. Its not that the Game doesnt work per-se, its just that it looks worse then a Playstation 1 game so I want to be able to switch it to use 3D Rendering, however they dont list any other options.

I'd like to add I can confirm Starfleet Academy seems to work fine on Windows 7 as well, the only issue is mouse lag, other wise it runs perfectly.
Old January 11 2010, 01:19 AM   #54
abacero
Cadet

J. Allen wrote: View Post
sambod123 said:
Hi guys, nice to meet people playing the same stuff as me!
I have Vista and am trying to install Star Trek: A Final Unity from the old CD i have of it.
I cant install it, because the setup file didnt work:
"This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'close' to terminate the application"
This comes up in a window called "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
I dont know how you did it J Allen!

So i installed dosbox, followed the dosbox instructions, but when i run sttng.exe it starts to run, but then says it cant find a resource file, and that i should consult cdpath in sttng.ini
I'm used to games never playing regardless of what system I have, but all of those games will work, they just require a bit of elbow grease and willingness to see it through.

The installation of Star Trek: A Final Unity was a tough one. We all know Final Unity didn't even want to work well on the original systems. I remember installing it on my 386. It didn't even want to work then, and I had to cajole it, so this is nothing new.

So after finding the following instructions, everything worked beautifully. Here they are:

1. Download and install DosBox. Latest version.

2. Create a directory for the game. Example: C:\STTNG.

3. Using windows explorer, copy all of the contents from the game CD to the new directory created above.

4. Create a new folder under the new directory called savegame. Example: C:\STTNG\savegame.

5. Unzip the folder within the new directory called STTNGINS.ZIP. It will ask to overwrite one file, let it overwrite the file or choose not to, it wont matter.

6. Open the STTNG.INI folder with notepad. Near the bottom of the listing are two entries, one called Path and the other CD. For both of these entries put the following-- . \ make sure there is a space between the period and slash. The period must follow the = immediately, no spaces. So it will look like this in both the Path and CD lines---- Path=. \ and CD=. \

7. Load the game CD into your CD/DVD drive.

8. Start DosBox and mount your CD/DVD drive as normal.

9. Run the setup.exe from the CD.

10. Let the program set up the audio and video as normal.

11. After setup finishes, exit DosBox.

12. When this is complete, restart DosBox and mount the drive and directory where the game is located...example: mount c c:\sttng

13. Change to the mounted drive. The command line will say Z:\ simply type c: and hit enter.

14. At this point you can check the contents of the mounted drive by typing dir/w all of the contents within the STTNG directory should list.

15. Start the game by typing in the usual at the command prompt...example STTNG

16. The game should load and run.

J.
Hi! I just joined the Forun. This information is great, however I have a problem: I am trying to use DS9-Harbinger, and I followed the guide here, but I can not find de .INI file or anywhere where the game path is located. I mounted the CD drive and the Windows drive (c to DOSbox. Even though DOSbox can read perfecly both drives, the game does not and when I star the game, it sends a message taht there is no CD pn drive1. I have a Compaq Presario F756 with:
Proccesor: AMD turion 64x2
NVidia graphics card
Windows Vista Home Premium 32

What can I do?

Best regards,

Alberto
abacero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 09:35 PM   #55
Woulfe
Commodore

Might need to start a new thread called.....

Windows 7 Problems With Solutions.....

Unless everything works under 7 without any issues at all.....

Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2010, 03:38 PM   #56
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

Axiom wrote: View Post
sambod123 said:
Hi guys, nice to meet people playing the same stuff as me!
I have Vista and am trying to install Star Trek: A Final Unity from the old CD i have of it.
I cant install it, because the setup file didnt work:
"This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'close' to terminate the application"
This comes up in a window called "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
I dont know how you did it J Allen!

So i installed dosbox, followed the dosbox instructions, but when i run sttng.exe it starts to run, but then says it cant find a resource file, and that i should consult cdpath in sttng.ini
I'm used to games never playing regardless of what system I have, but all of those games will work, they just require a bit of elbow grease and willingness to see it through.

The installation of Star Trek: A Final Unity was a tough one. We all know Final Unity didn't even want to work well on the original systems. I remember installing it on my 386. It didn't even want to work then, and I had to cajole it, so this is nothing new.

So after finding the following instructions, everything worked beautifully. Here they are:

1. Download and install DosBox. Latest version.

2. Create a directory for the game. Example: C:\STTNG.

3. Using windows explorer, copy all of the contents from the game CD to the new directory created above.

4. Create a new folder under the new directory called savegame. Example: C:\STTNG\savegame.

5. Unzip the folder within the new directory called STTNGINS.ZIP. It will ask to overwrite one file, let it overwrite the file or choose not to, it wont matter.

6. Open the STTNG.INI folder with notepad. Near the bottom of the listing are two entries, one called Path and the other CD. For both of these entries put the following-- . \ make sure there is a space between the period and slash. The period must follow the = immediately, no spaces. So it will look like this in both the Path and CD lines---- Path=. \ and CD=. \

7. Load the game CD into your CD/DVD drive.

8. Start DosBox and mount your CD/DVD drive as normal.

9. Run the setup.exe from the CD.

10. Let the program set up the audio and video as normal.

11. After setup finishes, exit DosBox.

12. When this is complete, restart DosBox and mount the drive and directory where the game is located...example: mount c c:\sttng

13. Change to the mounted drive. The command line will say Z:\ simply type c: and hit enter.

14. At this point you can check the contents of the mounted drive by typing dir/w all of the contents within the STTNG directory should list.

15. Start the game by typing in the usual at the command prompt...example STTNG

16. The game should load and run.

J.
My problem seems to be when I'm in setup, the game wants to write to the DOSBox's Z: drive. It doesn't give me any other option. Of course it says that the Z: drive has 0MB available.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2010, 11:12 PM   #57
MANT!
Rear Admiral

J. I need to run a batchfile to properly load the Starbase 11 mod in EF1

I have the following system..

Dell Inspiron 570
AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor
4 Gig Ram
Integrated Graphics ATI ® Radeon ® HD 4200
Windows 7 Home Premium

Compatibility mode is no help..

So how does one get batchfile to run under Windows 7?
Old May 26 2010, 07:25 AM   #58
gigantibyte
Ensign

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
Jaro Stun said:
Hello,

I see you included ST:Hidden Evil in your "Works with Vista" list.

I also have Windows Vista (see my specs) and I was unable to play it. When I started the game in D3D mode, it crashed while loading the new game (if I remember correctly it was like: "Sprint engine stopped working"). I was unable to start the game in Glide mode, and in SW mode it loaded, but everything was terribly wrong (sound, colors...just about everything).

Compatibility mode (Win2K, WinXP) didn't work for me at all.

Did you encounter this error? And if so, how did you solve it?

My system specifications:
Intel Core2Duo T7700 @ 2,4GHz
4GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 8600 MGT 256MB
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (DX10 obviously)

Thank you for any info.
That's odd. I didn't have any trouble playing it whatsoever. The whole install ran smoothly, and the game ran optimally. I know this is a common answer, but did you update your drivers to the latest set, and have you downloaded the service pack yet?

J.
Well this thread is a bit old, and I have Vista with SP2. ST:Hidden Evil still does not work. The only way I could get the game to run was to build a Windows 98 machine wtih DirectX 7. In fact, I can't find anyone who has been able to get this game to run on a modern machine with XP, Vista, or even Linux with Wine or Cedega.

Unfortunately programs like VMware and Virtualbox won't likely be supporting DirectX 7 anytime soon. I even tried the program DXTweaker to add support for 7 but had no success.

Anyone else have better luck?
gigantibyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 11:12 PM   #59
Carbonite2008
Cadet

I bought a copy of bridge commander for my laptop but it stops installing at 3% saying the files couldn't be copied, and I'm on vista. Anyone know how I get it to work?
Carbonite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2010, 12:35 PM   #60
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Does Star Trek Voyager Elite Force work on Vista 32? I would love to play this game again.

Also STBC installed on vista but I can't seem to make it work just get black screen and a soun, which sounds like an error but no msg is displayed.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)

Last edited by A JaxMas Carol; September 7 2010 at 12:51 PM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote