Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old July 15 2008, 03:28 AM   #16
trekkieguy34
Cadet

Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

i have window vista home premium and when ever i try to install star trek bridge commander it will go allthe way to where it would normally start copying files and then it just sits there till it stops responding i was wonderg how do i install bridge commander on vista home premium
trekkieguy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 04:37 PM   #17
gunner_thomas
Ensign

Ok need help!

Star Trek DS9: Dominion wars i cant get it to work in Vista

Yes changed compatibility modes

go to lanch the game and nothing! no error no sign of loading infact not a sausage! help
gunner_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 01:46 PM   #18
munnp001
Cadet

I'm used to games never playing regardless of what system I have, but all of those games will work, they just require a bit of elbow grease and willingness to see it through.

The installation of Star Trek: A Final Unity was a tough one. We all know Final Unity didn't even want to work well on the original systems. I remember installing it on my 386. It didn't even want to work then, and I had to cajole it, so this is nothing new.

So after finding the following instructions, everything worked beautifully. Here they are:

1. Download and install DosBox. Latest version.

2. Create a directory for the game. Example: C:\STTNG.

3. Using windows explorer, copy all of the contents from the game CD to the new directory created above.

4. Create a new folder under the new directory called savegame. Example: C:\STTNG\savegame.

5. Unzip the folder within the new directory called STTNGINS.ZIP. It will ask to overwrite one file, let it overwrite the file or choose not to, it wont matter.

6. Open the STTNG.INI folder with notepad. Near the bottom of the listing are two entries, one called Path and the other CD. For both of these entries put the following-- . \ make sure there is a space between the period and slash. The period must follow the = immediately, no spaces. So it will look like this in both the Path and CD lines---- Path=. \ and CD=. \

7. Load the game CD into your CD/DVD drive.

8. Start DosBox and mount your CD/DVD drive as normal.

9. Run the setup.exe from the CD.

10. Let the program set up the audio and video as normal.

11. After setup finishes, exit DosBox.

12. When this is complete, restart DosBox and mount the drive and directory where the game is located...example: mount c c:\sttng

13. Change to the mounted drive. The command line will say Z:\ simply type c: and hit enter.

14. At this point you can check the contents of the mounted drive by typing dir/w all of the contents within the STTNG directory should list.

15. Start the game by typing in the usual at the command prompt...example STTNG

16. The game should load and run.

J.
I tried this but it said my CD transfer rate wasnt high enough whihc is odd given its a cd/dvd drive. On the other hand i gt Starfleet academy to work though i did have to change the color scheme for the movies to work properly. Any one else have this problem with A final unity
munnp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:19 PM   #19
EMHMark613
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
My system specs:

Hardware:

AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ 1.6Ghz Processor
1.5 GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
160 GB WD 7200RPM Hard Disk
nVidia GeForce 7300 LE PCI-e 16x 256Mb Graphics Adapter
17" Sceptre NAVI-X7 LCD Flat Panel Monitor

Software:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit w/ Service Pack 1 RC

Working under my Vista machine so far, with no modification:

Star Trek: Elite Force

All of these I've tested on many settings in Vista, and they've worked quite well, so far.

J.
Is that Elite Force 2 or Voyager Elite Force?
Old August 1 2008, 12:04 AM   #20
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)
SFC I and II

I cannot get SFC I or II to install and play on Vista, even using compatibility mode.

SFC I - I get a popup about a krnel32.dll error, and that's the end of it.
SFC II - In regular Vista mode, I can get the INSTALL or EXIT screen from the autoplay. When I click INSTALL, I get a prompt asking if I want to continue, I answer yes, and that's the end of it.

I have tried running both in compatibility mode. SFC I does nothing at all. SFC II gives me the screen, but with EXIT as the only choice. It doesn't mater what compatibility mode I use.

Suggestions?

Rob+
Old August 2 2008, 06:33 AM   #21
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)
Re: SFC I and II

Well, I finally got it to install after wiping the HD and reinstalling Windows Vista and SP1. Now it locks up on the Bink Video Player that plays the opening movie.

Any help on this?

Rob+
Old August 5 2008, 11:45 PM   #22
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Jaro Stun said:
Thanx for your reply.
I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA but I haven't tried the Vista SP1 RC1 yet, as I'll wait for the final release.

However, I do update my system frequently via Windows Update, so I don't think SP1 will be a big impact for me.
I'll put it this way. Before the service pack, most of my games either failed or were choppy and slow. My file copy rate was abysmal, and that was with all of the updates sans the SP1 RC1. I installed the service pack, shut down, restarted, and it was like I switched on an entirely different computer.

J.
I know this is way after you posted this comment, but I have to say that this thrills me. I just got a new computer, and went with Vista because XP now costs a ton more. My biggest concern, though, is that Vista would wreak havoc on my games since it was meant as a gaming computer. But, if SP1 makes it work great/ better, then I look forward to trying my first game in a couple of hours!

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2008, 02:10 PM   #23
The Solitary
Cadet

Hi all,

Hope you're all ok.

I'm new here (first post!), and I've had a look around, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I recently managed to track down the CD editions of both 25th anniversary and Judgment Rites. I can't seem to get either to work though. I'm on Vista home premium.

I'm a complete novice with Dosbox and as such, I have very little idea what I'm doing. I manage to boot up each game simply by performing a mount on the CD drive and going stright to the program (such as STARTREK.EXE on 25th ann.), but The mouse pointer doesn't seem to be working and I'm getting only basic sound. I've run the setup exe in the hope that it would work, but I have no clue as what to enter and if its saves as its the same every time (and NO sound whatsoever on Judgment Rites) I purchased the CD versions in order to hear the cast voices but I can't figure it out. Does anyone know how I can sort it out? I'm desperate to play these games!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The Solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 12:01 AM   #24
alfredog1976
Cadet

Hello Fellow trekkers!

Just wanted to share how I got some of my old DOS Star Trek games to work! (I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit) Thanks to J. Allen and some other sources, I got Star Trek: A Final Unity using the following steps (Credit J. Allen for some of these steps):

1. Download and install DosBox. Latest version. (I used 0.72)

2. Create a directory for the game. Example: C:\oldgames\STTNG.

3. Using windows explorer, copy all of the contents from the game CD to the new directory created above.

4. Create a new folder under the new directory called savegame. Example: C:\oldgames\STTNG\savegame.

5. Unzip the folder within the new directory called STTNGINS.ZIP. It will ask to overwrite one file, let it overwrite the file or choose not to, it wont matter.

6. Download "STNNG.ini" from following link (I did not see the file in the STTNG directory, I am assuming it gets created during install):
http://web.archive.org/web/200704020...iles/STTNG.INI

7. Modify "STTNG.INI" by changing the line "CD=C:\FUIns\" to "CD=C:\STTNG\". (You will no longer need to put CD in after you modify this line)

8. Start DosBox and mount the C drive (example: "MOUNT C C:\oldgames).

9. Change into "STTNG" directory, type "STTNG" and you should be good to go!
alfredog1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2009, 03:49 AM   #25
Jdfimage
Cadet

Hi! New to the forum and a complete noob to DosBox but in reference to the solution above I have tried it step by step and each time I run the Install.exe or the setup.exe I get both an 'error' on the extended memory and on the CD Rom speed when the little Hologbyte system check runs.

I tried running the Install on the CD after having mounted the CDrom Drive in Dos Box and it only gave me the 'error' on the CD Rom speed.

Any help would be appreciated. I am in Vista Home Premium FYI.
Jdfimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 10:02 PM   #26
jha5as
Cadet

Hey guys, any idea how to get star trek armada running on Vista? It installs fine but when I try to start it an error box comes up that says "sorry there is not enough memory to continue. Please make sure that you have at least 50mb free on your hrd drive and that virtual memory is not disabled". Now i'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure what this means but either way it strikes me as a little odd since it's a new computer and i KNOW it must have enough memory. Any ideas anyone?
jha5as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 02:03 AM   #27
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Hi guys, my question is sort of related to the topic, so I'm hoping you can help. Last week I got a new laptop with Vista pre-installed. So far my system is working, with a few minor differnces, but one thing I'm having a problem with is the YouTube channel over at TrekCore. Every time I attempt to play a video, I get a message saying "Install missing plug-ins", which is Adobe reader or Flash player. I have downloaded Adobe 10 from it's site about 12 times, and still can't watch these videos.

Can you guys help? All answers or suggestions both welcome and appreicated.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 11:11 PM   #28
billcosby
Commodore

Jesus Christ. I can't get anything that was produced before 2006 installed on Vista. The install programs hide and get lost as a "stopped process" that I had to dig through program manager to find.

Surely I can turn all these friggin settings off, right? This Vista is worse than a fucking marriage. No, scratch that. My wife gives me far less grief than Vista.

I can't even install my old versions of Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver, let alone my old Star Trek games.

It's a brand new laptop with a spanking new install. Any help on how to move forward would be great. I have already run as an administrator as well as changed the compatibility settings. Nothing.

Acer Aspire
AMD Athalon 64x2 dual core processor
(2.0GHz, 1MB L2 cache)
1408 MB ATI Radeon HD Graphics HyperMemory
3 GB DDR

EDIT: I am using a mounting program called Virtual Clone Drive. Is there a better one for Vista I should use?

Last edited by billcosby; May 10 2009 at 11:35 PM.
billcosby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2009, 07:35 PM   #29
kustirider2
Commander

View kustirider2's Twitter Profile

I downloaded the Star Trek: Hidden Evil demo (I am running Vista), It looks like its installing but If I open up Task Manager it shows its just in the background doing nothing. I left it for 30 mins to see if it would do anything, But it didnt install (No desktop shortcut, Not in 'all programs' or program files)

I really want to play it, but I just don't know how Can anyone help me?

Also; This is probably gonna sound stupid, But what is an emulator? and do I need one to play this demo?
kustirider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 03:27 PM   #30
Major Chord
Choir Boy Extraordinaire

^An emulator is a program that allows you to play games from other systems on your system (there are some emulators, for instance, that allow you to play NES games on your PC).

I was going to create a new thread for my questions, but then I saw this thread. My family recently bought a new computer, one which the salesman at Best Buy insisted had good gaming capability (something which I'm starting to doubt, because Call of Duty 4 runs quite choppy on it), so I figured it ws about time I pick up some Trek PC games. The last Trek PC game I purchased was Starfleet Command II; Orion Pirates, so I figured it was time to see what else is out there. My question is will Star Trek: Elite Force II, and Star Trek Legacy work on my system. Running Vista, here are the specifications.

Windows VistaHome Premium Service Pack 1
AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Core Processor, 1.80 GHz
4 GB RAM
64 bit Operating System.

Something tells me that I have more than enough capability to run the games, but I want to be sure that that they work on Vista before I go out and buy them.